Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New Chain and Sprockets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: New Chain and Sprockets Reply with quote

Hi Folks, time to treat the Db2 to new chain and sprockets for the start of the season. I'm fine with the sprockets, the cut out on the back of the front etc, and she's running 15 front and alloy 36 rear which I don't intend to change on sizes. Current chain is a 520 92 links Regina. Thus opinions please of Good and Bad of what to replace with? DID are all over the market place and I don't think I have to worry about guarantee for 10 years etc, the old girl does 1000-1500 miles per year, but want something recommended, gold/black/silver immaterial, structural strength is what I want. I've had 2 years out of the current ones and they were on the bike for 8 years at least previously, although she was stood for that time, and christ knows how many other years whilst she was running before then, so as you may gather, a renewal probably well overdue...Any and all help much appreciated as always
oily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace it with the same.........
You may, possibly equal it but you won't better it, Regina Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: New Chain and Sprockets Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
she's running 15 front and alloy 36 rear

That's some tall gearing there! I got my DB2 with a 14/39 and complained that I was never using sixth gear in the mountians. I dropped it to a 14/42 and I actually use sixth on a rare occasion, but cruising, I still need to be doing close to 80 mph (130 kph) to justify sixth.

2bims wrote:
structural strength is what I want.

I usually run DID (VM) or RK (XSO or GXW), but have run EK (SRX) chains in the past. I always run o-ring or x-ring chains. I generally try to get the cheapest ones I can find with 7000+ psi tensile strength for 520 size. The EK 530SRX on my wife's R1 has 28k miles (45k km) on it, now.

Typically, I dislike a 520 chain and only get about 10k-14k miles (16k-23k km) until they are completely shot. 525 and 530 chains usually give me 18k-24k miles (29k-39k km) of service. If I had it to do all over again, I'd have bumped my DB2 to a 525 drive system. IIRC, I installed an RK on my DB2 with a Supersprox rear sprocket and modified Ducati front sprocket.

I know guys who buy the top-of-the-line $200-$250 USD chains. I like keeping my whole set of chain and sprockets at that cost. Between my wife and I and about 400k miles (645k km) of street riding we've only broken one chain....and that was a 530 on my Harley while on a cross-country trip (it was an old chain and it was a 5600 mile/9000 km trip)
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: