Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 Alternator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: SB6 Alternator Reply with quote

I have just managed to get my Sb6 back and the charging system failed! Anyway, had to drop the engine as normal and stripped the alternator down and gearing as the rubber cush drive had completely failed. The fix was a quick trip to the breakers to discover that a Suzuki 900 RF is the same fitment! 4 hours and 75 quid and I am a happy bunny at last. Pics on the way!
sapila racing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey I managed to remove my alternator and change the rubber coupling with the engine in situ, but it was hard work.
There is a replacement part rubber coupling from Suzuki that is supposed to be of higher quality and I used this.
It looked a bit different than the original item.
In any case I would suggest that you (and all SB6 owners) remove the rubber cover that blocks airflow to the alternator.
In my opinion, after some thinking, this is the culprit, as the GSXR1100 never had any charging problems, but the SB6s all do!
Not only the rubber coupling fails, but the alternator itself fails as well, as mine did...

Aris
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advise! I wondered what the rubber mat seemed to be for...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: