Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Suspension settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BB1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Suspension settings Reply with quote

This one is a bit of a work in progress I'm afraid.

The standard settings are
Front forks:

Rebound damping set 7 clicks out from closed.
SAE 10 weight fork Oil.
Compressed fork Oil Air gap. 190mm

Rear shock.
rebound damping: 3rd click from max
compression (remote unit) damping: Middle of range (pretty vague)
Preload standard: 155mm
Height adjustment: Shock at 335mm long.

The rear of the bike is so light you can't set static sag (no rider) at the usual 1.5-2.5 cm. It tops out.

Set the Rider sag (rider on bike) at 1/4 of the travel.

There are various differing thoughts on this but the common consensus is that the standard set up rund out of steam at a rider of 14 stones (in leahters) and for heavier riders, stronger springs and a different set up are required.

Sitting On the bike, set the sag so that the rear spindle lines up with the chain sprocket horizontally. Adjust the ride height and spring preload to get this. Sag should be 3.5-4.5 cm but I'm running at 5.5 and can't get it lower. I'm too fat - new spring required.

Adjusting the rear ride height higher keeps the rear high and keeps the steering steep. If the rear sags it really slows down the steering.

Putting 15 weight fork oil in makes a big difference and mine works fine at this.

As I say, this is still work in progress as it's still not handling great. The back end is particularly "interesting" to set up, but I'll get there.
oily

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, suspension runs out of steam at 14 stone Shocked
that rules out a large proportion of us then Laughing
BB1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Supermono was built predomonantly for the Single racing scene in Japan where everyone is 11 stone ringing wet with pockts of loose change.

... and I'm erm... 20 stones in my leathers! I look like an elephant riding a tricycle when I'm on it Smile
Anders

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original Paioli rear shock was worn out. Instead of rebuilding it, I bought a Wilbers shock. Wilbers (in Germany) makes these to order, taking your weight and riding style into account.
Mine was the first they built, and it is fairly spot on, but the spring turned out a tad too soft, I think. It also has to be modified slightly to avoid hitting the swing arm if you lower the rear end (adjust the shock length).
I am happy to give with more details if anyone should want a Wilbers shock (or other after market shock).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: