Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New Member looking for DB2 and/or parts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guyguzzi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: New Member looking for DB2 and/or parts Reply with quote

Hi, I have just joined after recommendations from two of your members that are also on our ducati851and888.com forum.

I am busy looking into options for adding a DB2 to the clan Very Happy and would be interested to hear about one that is up for sale, UK/Europe preferred.

Also if anybody has a DB2 half fairing bellypan and a pair of silencer end caps or complete units I would also be interested.

I look forward to getting involved in your forum

But best get the DB2 first

Thanks Guyguzzi
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Welcome to the forum Guy! Its a great bunch on here and super helpful so I'm pretty sure you'll get what you need Wink
oily

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Guy......
Yet another German bike fan Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum,

nice choice of bike and I'm sure you'll get lots of help from the forum, as there are some real DB enthusiasts on here

Cheers, MikeJ
guyguzzi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks all for the warm welcome and glad too see there are some of you that slip a bit of important bike stuff into the mornings work Cool

I wonder how you guessed I was from Germany .... originally

Guyguzzi
oily

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not difficult..........you like doocaties, you were recommended and you were interested enough to ponder the German reference, therefore....must have German origins, simples.
should have been Sherlock Homes me Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy, and as others have said, welcome to the Forum, always nice to see new folk, even if they are just looking and hoping, its the right place to start.
History for DB2's in the UK? Well in the last 3 years only 3 have come up for sale, the one I now have and the others are owned by others on this Forum, BimotaNige and Pompey. Search for posts under both names and you'll find the restorations on each. Niges did the rounds a bit and was bought/sold 3-4 times in the last 3 years but now has a loving home. I would suggest you have to look outside of the UK, as I am only aware of these 2 DB's in the UK, certainly on this Forum anyhow. Theres is one in Germany, and several others in Germany, quite easy to source and import (I did it for a DB4), no tax to pay, and registration a doddle, plenty of courier companies that will collect for circa 300.
German Ebay is a source for your parts, there is a lower half fairing belly pan on there at the mo, and hasn't sold a few times, but it is not original, its an aftermarket. I've never seen the corresponding upper bikin fairing for sale ANYWHERE in the last 3 years, but best of luck, rear silencers can be easily made up (theres a thread on here how to by Geekay

Try these links for DB2's in Germany
http://suchen.mobile.de/motorrad-inserat/bimota.db2.rheinfelden/148761945.html?lang=de&pageNumber=2&__lp=4&scopeId=MB&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.makeId=3400&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&vehicleCategory=Motorbike&segment=Motorbike&negativeFeatures=EXPORT
This ones been for sale for a whiles
http://suchen.mobile.de/motorrad-inserat/bimota.db2.renkum/147982832.html?lang=de&pageNumber=4&__lp=4&scopeId=MB&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.makeId=3400&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&vehicleCategory=Motorbike&segment=Motorbike&negativeFeatures=EXPORT
This ones been for sale for up to a year at least, and never come down in price.
They aren't bikes that you decide on a budget and go look for that, they are bikes that IF you find one you then decide if you can afford it, simples really, well if you have the readies that is. Some come up in the States, and have been selling for $9-10,000, but then the cost of shipping and import tax is a bigger issue, so I'd stick to "all of Europe" Try Ebay.it, and Ebay.de as the UK Ebay, even if you mark it for worldwide it WILL NOT pick up certain countries listings. Ebay.US also is the same. Best of luck, and stick around, if you get one, you'll need help anyhow Laughing
guyguzzi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: DB2 purchase gone very sour and weird Reply with quote

Well after two weeks of discussion, questions and gentle negotiation over the DB2 the seller has told me to go away and never contact him again over this or any other bike he has for sale Confused

I am posting this as a bit of a warning in case anybody else is thinking to make an offer.
The bike is still listed here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140733899815?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It took quite an effort to extract further information on the bike including :
Lack of bellypan, modified silencers/endcaps and badly cut down off numberplate board.
There was also no supporting information regarding the 944 conversion, ignition upgrade and eventually the flatslides were photographed as 39mm

When I asked why the bike was listed on ebay 6 weeks ago (thanks this forum for providing the link) Looking very different, with a bellypan and no mention of a 944 conversion the conversations tooka bit of a downturn and the seller said he had no idea as he purchased the bike from somebody else.
But then did agree it was the same bike
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bimota-DB2-Ducati-900-Motor-/220960779439?pt=Motorr%C3%A4der&hash=item337249ecaf

Anyway taking everything into account I made a very good financial offer with quick payment.

And he came back as above saying I was too critical and he would never do business with me again

Smells very ratty to me

So the search continues for a DB2

Guy851
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad unlucky Guy, one will turn up Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the Bimota interest in the UK is better than that abroad. If you are going to deal with Europe it is best to go to their websites, as the ones that advertise over here are generally trying to make quick money.
The issue with dealing with people in Europe is getting them to talk to you in the first place. Whilst looking for my SM, emailed lots of sellers and would say only 25% get back to you, and some of those are only to say ' GO AWAY ' and not so nicely.
Stick with it and you will be rewarded.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does indeed look like the same bike, I thought about it myself to start with, to put it back to standard by selling all the bling and putting standard parts back on, and pocketting the difference. Looks like someone has done just that. The top of the rear cylinder has "V2" on it which may be indication of VeeTwo cams normally put in when going the big bore 944 route with Keihin flatslides. THey are indeed Keihin carbs on the bike, but whether they are 39's or 41's only a look on the right side could tell.
Pretty sure that "indian Coast" seller has been noted on her before selling a Db5 that hd clearly been "tracked" and then had all the road gear put back on. Big bore 944 kit and veetwo cams should come with FCR41's to manage the fuel uptake for sure. Happy hunting
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I should also note, same as Vort, Mainland European sellers are very cagey when taking emails/calls etc, frightened that certain eastern block countries may be just after the address to come round and take the vehicle without paying, don't wish to cast too many "aspirtions"
Takes time to build a rapport with sellers in Europe and language barriers don't help but there are a few of us on here that have succeeded before on that front, even buying "blind" , paying and then having the bike delivered. Just takes the right seller though and you will soon get the right feeling if the bike and person are right to trust
crankcase

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2 stamped on the head is a Ducati factory stamp- around 1994 or so- something modded- can't remember what- all engines after that time should have it.
Your DB2 is 1992 or 1993 so your's won't have it.

mine has Cool

wish I knew what is was again now Embarassed
Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: