Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DUCATI 900SS 1991 Restoration.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: DUCATI 900SS 1991 Restoration. Reply with quote

Bimota traffic seems a bit slow, anyone interested in seeing reading the start of my 900SS Restoration, early 1991 white framed model, started strip down and parts list and goodies arriving daily? Evidently I would post on the Ducatisti Forum UK but alas it is no more....
Don't all jump forward to vote....Well Oily anyhow...
Laughing

Couple of pictures to whet your appetite, or not..

Actually made it home under her own steam after being sat outside for the whole winter under a cover and not ran for 6 months, only cost me 2 batteries and 2 starter button switches to get it running, oh and a gallon of fresh fuel and new plugs, almost was forced to buy it after paying out to get it going

Pictures paint a better picture than the grim reality

Just got to love the rear rack, owner even threw in the bungee cords, what a nice fellow, and a Pifco bicycle lock...how sweet..

Strip down started after several cannisters of WD40 and blow torch on bolts, veterened Rust bucket, Italian steel mixed in with 5 British winters daily use by the previous owner, why do I do it to myself?

Gunk, degreaser, brake cleaner, vim and scouring pads aplenty...
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to prove she was a runner (Click on pictures for start of movie clips)

And seeing as my NOS titanium High level termi race end cans had turned up I couldnt help myself to check that they fitted and the bike ran before starting the full strip down, would have been rude not to (Not a thought shared by my neighbours Laughing )
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep 'em coming Steve. Wink
brian

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to this one steve. I see you've got the new termi's on already.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
bimototo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job!!!!!

waiting for other pics....

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She cleaned up quick. All those years of chainlube and oil looks like it kept the salt at bay? Especially the wheels, forks, calipers and disks look fine?

Love the look of that model with the slab sides, Very cool bike... Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost looks like a new bike already 2bims. We need more pictures ! What's the delay, you having to work or something ??
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Almost looks like a new bike already 2bims. We need more pictures ! What's the delay, you having to work or something ??

Apologies Vort, got caught in a quiet spell whilst you were busy I think and then had to do some work to keep myself looking busy on the keyboard. Now Corrected

Lovely night when some team called City were playing some other team called United with some round ball in Mcr, streets empty and clean and dry and warm, yanked out the Duc for the first time this year, started on the Button, who says they're unreliable
Laughing

Came back before the sad drunks rolled out of the boozers

And have now ordered the rest of the parts needed so far, single seat unit, carbon front and rear fenders, some service parts, usual wellnuts to replace not so well nuts, oil radiator to replace one held on with cable ties and grime, oil radiator relocator kit to make it high level, and a few other odds and sods, all from GErmany and Italy, ordered late last night and Invoice was waiting for me when I got up this morning, darned efficient man in Italy. Germans came back to me 3 times today, some bits not in stock but they will send the other stuff early and a second shipment later, rakes and rakes of stuff and only 21 euros postage to UK, incredible!

All parts bagged and tagged in cash bags, and dining room cleared for the ever mounting pile of new bits and bits to sort, ready for final assembly.

Looks like Christmas day meal this year will be in front of the TV

New Carbs from Italy, 80squid, with possible 10 squids worth of fule hose on them!

NOS Rear Disc for DB4 when her new wheels go on, and steering damper to straighten the front out at speed

NEW Front headlight surround, NOS again from Italy, and half bikini fairings

And jsut to show you that pictures can be deceptive, heres what was left of one of the half moon collats "holding" the front header in place, theres was only one left, one on right is the size that a new one should be. Still several buckets of grime to clear from the engine.

She is cleaning up well, so well I am still having second thoughts on colour scheme about keeping the red/white original (but evidently refreshed with new paint/powder coat) or should I stick to yellow silver black????
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either way and its a win win... Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red and white is retro, but I do like the look of the black frames,

Although it may be the black wheels and the SIL headers that make this look the dogs nuts.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't you tease me with a third colour choice Vort. Actually know the guy with that bike in the front. His MOT garage love him coming down each year as they think the mileage is going backwards as it gets newer and newer each year with additions, refurbs etc. Blokey does use it though, him and his mates from Bradford way container their bikes over each year to somewhere warm and shiney, spain/Portugal etc, then fly over to a Hotel and their bikes are waiting, whizz round for a week or so, some track time booked also, then park back at Hotel and fly back, bike turns up a week later, roughly 200 a-piece for the bike transport, probably cheaper than the petrol and ferry crossings Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there is an idea for an ANNUAL Bimota meet. Could even invite the factory Wink
Mako

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice bike!!!

I have a 750, white frame too.
nice bike to ride but with the 120/60 as on the paper seems to be to fast to turn, like falling in corners...
Another fault is the missing of fuel heating system. Your new carbs have prepared bowls, so it could be better to install one. Large carbs suffer of water freezing in the middle of the Venturi due to very low pressure... and trust me it's quite disappointing to run over a mountain with a coughing and spitting twin (it happens even at outside temps under 10*C) .
Last thing is the voltage regulator... quite unreliable. If you can get a spare one, do it and store under the seat (a new regulator with connectors mod is available at ducati stores).
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm. that satin black frame and wheels do look great.
oily

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a well designed frame deservers to be "in ya face" white.
Fraid the black reminds me of a "home brew" made out of electrical conduit Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: