Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Falling off the stand (again)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anders

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Falling off the stand (again) Reply with quote

My last track day ended prematurely because the Supermono fell off the side stand and broke its clutch lever. The stand became difficult to flip up, as it hit the tank. When I came home to the workshop I found that the stand itself is still straight, but the ring on the frame cross member it's mounted in, is bent.
This is the second time this has happened to me, and its very annoying. I am running out of lower rear frame cross members, as I now have bent both my original and the spare one I bought some years back. Of course I can heat and straighten them and then turn a pair of very tight stand bushings, but is there anyone here that has a creative solution for a permanent fix?
BB1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anders.

I don't know whats going on here because the one on my bike is very strong and perfectly straight.

The angle of the side stand is very steep and I do have to be careful when parking the bike on slopes and in a strong wind but I can't see how the weight of the bike would bend the sidestand mount.

Were you parked on a slope or soft ground? What about welding on a piece of sheet steel and making the mount twice as thick?

C
Anders

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB1 wrote:
I don't know whats going on here because the one on my bike is very strong and perfectly straight.

The angle of the side stand is very steep and I do have to be careful when parking the bike on slopes and in a strong wind but I can't see how the weight of the bike would bend the sidestand mount.

Were you parked on a slope or soft ground? What about welding on a piece of sheet steel and making the mount twice as thick?

Yes, everything seems perfectly strong and straight until it happens Confused
The first time it happened to me, someone at work came in and asked if I had the white Bimota laying on it's side in the parking lot. It was a very hot day (for Norway) and the asphalt was hot and soft. Then I saw a hole where the stand had gone thru the ground. Anyway, when I saw the damages, I believed that a truck or car had hit it and really pushed it into the ground, as both the stand mount and foot peg bracket was bent. I addition, the gas wire was stuck so I had to dismantle it a fair bit to get it going again to get home.
This time I know for sure that it fell over from it's own weight or perhaps a small wind gust. No one was near it when i happened. Again, the same two parts was bent. The foot peg bracket is made (by myself) from aluminium, so it's easily straightened in the vice. The stand mount however, is more difficult to get back into shape, but I'm sure it can be done by some heat.

On both occasions the stand was still in the lower position when I picked the bike up, so most of the weight is placed on the stand, and hence the mounting lug.

Now I ride it without the stand, a bit impractical in the long run...
BB1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to my Honda Hornet the other day. I parked up after a ride and came back 20 minutes later to find the side stand sunk 4" into the road and the bike on its side!

Thankfully, it fell into some flowers so no damage. Smile

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: