Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Mantra regulator/rectifier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Mantra regulator/rectifier Reply with quote

Hi

My rectifier has gone - boiling the battery. I went to remove it, and I could smell an electrical burning from it. Then I noticed it had a Yamaha part number! So, 2 questions

1) what is the correct part? Is it the same as a contemporary 900ss? Does anyone have a part number?

2) what are the differences between regulator/regulators of different bikes? I have several lying around in good condition, eg one from a 95 Fireblade, one from a 2003 Aprilia RSV - will either of these work?

thanks

Robin
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin, no idea where you are, but presuming you are English/British, and in the UK??
The standard Ducati parts regulator/rectifier are renowned for blowing batteries and even Ducati Main dealers recommend replacing them with one of these
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/rr51-regulator-rectifier-737-0.html
Available and in stock, cheaper than Ducati supply, and meant for Twins hence the model range for them as listed. I have these on 3 of my bikes and no problems at all. They have more than double the number of cooling fins on them (on both sides) and can sit out of the way but all regulators like to have a bit of air passing over them. Not sure where they are fitted on Mantras.
Can't help with your other questions though, wouldn't take the risk meself as it could cost you another battery so whats the point?
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mantra regulator/rectifier Reply with quote

robin wrote:
2) what are the differences between regulator/regulators of different bikes? I have several lying around in good condition, eg one from a 95 Fireblade, one from a 2003 Aprilia RSV - will either of these work?

Some people say that the regulator needs to be the same as the system was designed with regard to 2-phase (sometimes called single-phase) and three phase, but also when looking at the wattage output to make sure it matches the system. There are others that say, as long as the phase is correct, you can use anything you want, because the regulator only knows to take an AC voltage and convert it to a 13-15 volt DC.

That being said, I have run a Harley Davidson regulator for a few thousand miles on my ST2 and have heard of several people using older Honda regulators on their ST2 bikes, also. As long as you are not running accessories such as additional lights, heated grips, GPS, cell phone, and a bunch of other things that will zap the wattage away from the battery, any correct phase regulator will probably work. I have heard of some people using a three-phase regulator on a two-phase system by connecting two of the three output wires together, but I have no idea which two, or if it even matters which two.

Additionally, some bikes have the regulator connecting through the wiring harnass before the charge voltage works its way to the battery (this is the way my ST2 was fromt he factory). There is a risk of a voltage drop as the charge goes through the system, so sometimes it is better to run the regulator wires directly to the battery to eliminate the voltage drop, but...I've been told that there are some new FI systems were the regulator voltage goes to the ECU where it is monitored.

Anyway, this is my limited knowledge on regulators/rectifiers.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
robin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: More on Rectifier Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I've found the RR51 - looks like it fits all the Ducatis with a certain generator - 300W - that makes sense. It's a 2-phase. As to why I'd use one I already had - well, it is free, while the RR51 is about twice the cost of a new battery.

Looks like I need a 2-phase regulator for a 300W generator. Unfortunately my Aprilia one is 3-phase. I'll check the others.

My regulator is mounted under the rear seat - doesn't get much air flow. Any idea where it was originally mounted (my bike is non-standard)?

thanks

Robin
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin, and well updated now I see with Avatar picture and Location. The location of your rectifier is same as on the Db4's in that its under the seat. Some electrex RR51's do come up on ebay for 2nd hand, and whilst it may be dearer than a battery, it will at least not eat your battery and would be fine for 10+ years. I'd like to say it is twice the price of my battery, but then my battery was dearer than the regulator, glass fibre mat sealed unit, far better than lead acid leaking type, and far better cranking and starting capacity, can be left for ages without a plug in charger, and is the only battery I've had where the optimate registers a "good" rating on the display. Happy shopping
robin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

Where under the seat?
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here Very Happy

robin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: location Reply with quote

Thanks, that's where mine is. Doesn't get much air flow. I might move it.
robin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: reg/rec fitted ok Reply with quote

Hi

I got an RR51, and installed it according to instructions, ignoring the previous wiring. Seems to be working ok. Will do a few miles this weekend to make sure. Thanks for advice.

Robin
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momes been on over 2 years now, no problems and its tucked behind the headlamp, no flow at all, probably less than under the seat, has twice as many fins for cooling, recommended by everyone, including Ducati dealers, and they sell in the states, should be no issues Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: