Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB6-YB8 repair. For the insane..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Repete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: YB6-YB8 repair. For the insane.. Reply with quote

I grabbed some of the parts I made for replacement footrests and Brake/Gear change levers and bearing and nuts. The rubber foot pad at the top of the picture is mine lower is BIMOTA. They use a metal plate to reinforce the pad, I made mine out of a slightly harder durometer material so didn't need the plate. The exhaust bracket on the silencer is billet machined. I just need to drill the holes for the exhaust mounting. Not sure if I'm going to keep it standard or make something trick. The foot rests need the ends profiling as you can see from the ones on the bike.(I'll get there) Yes, the bike has been stored and moved around the world with me for over 20 years hence the dust and grime.Sad When I bought it I owned a YB6 and completely rebuilt that from a complete wreck...see pics, so the heavy steering head damage on the YB8 wasn't a problem as you can see from the pics from the 90's of the YB6. The YB8 was missing a seat unit but I found one in Czechoslovakia a couple of years ago.
If ever you have to replace sections in your frame as per the YB6 rebuild, Bimota used aluminum extrusions from the civil engineering industry this is where I purchased the extruded sections and as you can see they fit like a glove after welding of course.
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=A42988557X

Probably not everybody's cup of tea but hey what a challenge. I will keep you updated as I finish the YB8. The YB6 I sold many years ago after many track and road miles to a friend and he has just started the bodywork not bad from a total wreck.
Have a chuckle on me.
Pete
Very Happy Very Happy
Sprint ST.
Sprint RS.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Pete.....
Very impressive work, a man after my own heart. If it ain't broke.....fix it till it is Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Repete

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankx oily, Got to use the shop for something fun. I have come to the conclusion that I would get a lot more work done if I had NO customers.... Wink
Sprint ST.
Sprint RS.
crankcase

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very impressed with what you've taken on and it looks like you know how to do it too.
Brilliant.
What is your friend doing with the fairing then- looks like it just needs a rub down and paint?

Ian
Repete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup,loads of rubbing and application of paint. He also repaired the fairing as I had used an after market racing unit. It was functional, but didn't look too slick. He's coming over to the states next month and we are going to get my YB8 moving along. I have to make a new threaded gas cap for the tank and draw up the choke assembly and machine one. (I put it on the YB6)
Also make the seat bolts and exhaust bracket and source a set of rear lights or make a new set with LED's...So if your doing nothing in October come on down. Very Happy
Sprint ST.
Sprint RS.
philfingers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Pete, welcome!
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
crankcase

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats doing nothing?
I'll encourage you from a safe distance. I'm sure that will work just as well.
You do know, that you can buy some of that stuff, but it sounds your having too much fun making it yourself : )
Ian
hondablack1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter ,
Just had a look at your pictures !
Particularly like the one of my bike in the centre !
And my handiwork also , like the lower fairing I made .
Guess you lifted that one off my Facebook page eh ?
Ha ha , nothing is sacred on the old interweb .
Best wishes from the UK and I look forward to seeing you and Sharon
In a few weeks.
J.
Repete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankcase,I had to try! "If your doing nothing" It's hard to resist the aroma of paint and fiberglass.. Very Happy
We don't currently have a Bimota part's distributor over here but I purchased parts from the last one. As more parts have become unobtainable thought it would be prudent to get in practice. Plus Yeah! I enjoy it...

John, I got you covered "Yup,loads of rubbing and application of paint. He also repaired the fairing as I had used an after market racing unit. " The center pic is from the link you sent me. I purchased the faring you have from a great guy who raced a BIM and had made spare's for his racing bike. I hastily put it on for a charity trip to France for the "Bougelet run". (We raised money for a kidney dialysis machine at Wrexam hospital.)
C U in a few weeks.
Sprint ST.
Sprint RS.
who

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete, Nice work on the frame. One of mine is the same and needs either a new headstock section, or to have a section spliced in. I will probably go with making up a new head stem tube cut out the old one, make a jig and weld it back together. Is this how you attacked yours? Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: