Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Buying advice for SB6R
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed_is_dead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Brian, my bad thought you had the r. Nice scheme on the 6 in you avatar, i have to say the 6 looks better than the r at this stage to me...
Does your clutch and slave need doing or is it just while your in there?

Oily, so pivot engine down on upper mounts to bleed the clutch? Mother of suffering je... they were taking this straight line business seriously then Shocked . I can imagine that any one of these i go see will have black fluid in the res so lol.

Now is that a half hr to do that for a spanner man like yourself Oily who has done it many times or for a mere mortal like me who feels accomplishment with changing chain and sprockets etc.

Do you have to go at the plumbing and rad to do that aswell?
Do the headers have to come off for that or just the system back from the headers. Does the whole subframe assembly come off for that then too?

Im running away with myself here, is there a online manual i can download? Maybe a read of the holy book will calm me Laughing Then again after three aprilias i know Italian manuals are at best a guide on how Sergio would do it after a nice bottle of red. No offence to my Italian brethern Razz

I see the chains a 532 yeah? is there a 530 conversion someones arrived at and is that rear sprocket available or a one off?

Hows the charging system on these may i ask? Does it run a standard rec reg or one of those in the alernator jobbies that im not familiar with at all..? Do they pump a steady 14v or are ye fitting mosfet from later bikes?

How often does that mill need the valves looking at and do they tend to need shimming or are they pretty static?

Can you do the plugs, valve clearences and top up and drain the coolant/rad with the engine in situ? Actually you said the plugs can be done without pulling mounts iirc.

Sorry to bang on lads, its just my abilities and time are split across a couple bikes and a missus who'd rather see me spend less time in the cave lol.

Oily heres that first pint btw Wink

oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_is_dead wrote:
Sorry Brian, my bad thought you had the r. Nice scheme on the 6 in you avatar, i have to say the 6 looks better than the r at this stage to me...

The 6 is the moer iconic bike and much more saleable than the 6R even though the 6r is a much better(not so pretty) bike. If you decide on a 6, I have a selection and one of them might be for sale.

ed_is_dead wrote:
Oily, so pivot engine down on upper mounts to bleed the clutch? Mother of suffering je... they were taking this straight line business seriously then Shocked . I can imagine that any one of these i go see will have black fluid in the res so lol.

No more so than any GSXR 1100

ed_is_dead wrote:
Now is that a half hr to do that for a spanner man like yourself Oily who has done it many times or for a mere mortal like me who feels accomplishment with changing chain and sprockets etc.

Maybe an hour the first time....

ed_is_dead wrote:
Do you have to go at the plumbing and rad to do that aswell?
Do the headers have to come off for that or just the system back from the headers. Does the whole subframe assembly come off for that then too?

Plumbing will flex as far as that. unclip the exhaust springs, disconnect an electrical connector, couple of bolts and the tail, exhaust lifts free, simples....

ed_is_dead wrote:
Im running away with myself here, is there a online manual i can download? Maybe a read of the holy book will calm me Laughing Then again after three aprilias i know Italian manuals are at best a guide on how Sergio would do it after a nice bottle of red. No offence to my Italian brethern Razz

No, no, your dead right....Italian manuals are more amusing than desperate dan. If you've owned Aprilias, your in for a pleasant surprises with Bimota's. Sorry, no on-line manual for the 6R that I'm aware of. An on-line parts list for the 6 exists which will give you a clue

ed_is_dead wrote:
I see the chains a 532 yeah? is there a 530 conversion someones arrived at and is that rear sprocket available or a one off?

I always convert to 530, all parts readily available.

ed_is_dead wrote:
Hows the charging system on these may i ask? Does it run a standard rec reg or one of those in the alernator jobbies that im not familiar with at all..? Do they pump a steady 14v or are ye fitting mosfet from later bikes?

Standard GSXR 1100, reliable charging system

ed_is_dead wrote:
How often does that mill need the valves looking at and do they tend to need shimming or are they pretty static?

Standard GSXR 1100

ed_is_dead wrote:
Can you do the plugs, valve clearences and top up and drain the coolant/rad with the engine in situ? Actually you said the plugs can be done without pulling mounts iirc.

6R = yes.......6 = No

ed_is_dead wrote:
Sorry to bang on lads, its just my abilities and time are split across a couple bikes and a missus who'd rather see me spend less time in the cave lol.

same as most others then?......

ed_is_dead wrote:
Oily heres that first pint btw Wink

About time, I've just written a 6R manual for you and you haven't even had to use the search button Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you're hearing the bad points of maintenance the Gix11 engine seems quite robust so you only need to do the valves once in 10k miles (I think). The chains don't wear very quickly so you won't need to replace it very often. The clutch slave can be a bit iffy but mine has an eesy bleed nipple so get a pipe on it, undo, and pump - it's not difficult.

One thing you might need is a rear wheel liner tool - I've got a profi lazer thing - there aren't any marks on the swingarm.

These bikes aren't easy, but they're not as difficult as people thing plus they're probably the most rewarding to own.
oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EC...have you got shares in laser aligning tools?
I and thousands of others have managed without them for decades Wink
As for Bad points.....none at all, just a bit idiosyncratic Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just lazer envy

How do you do it then ?
oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...With my Mk 1 eyeball and then if I require a second opinion, I use a straight edge Wink

Must get me a lazer as soon as I can find one that suites my current economic disability Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
ed_is_dead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah bugger Rolling Eyes
There was one i was interested in but its not meant to be unfortunately. Tbh im a tad gutted, i was getting committed to the notion of owning an sb6r.
I will kepp an eye peeled here and elsewhere though as its a bike id love to experience.
Thnanks a mill lads and Oily that pints still a goer if your over mate Smile
oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...sorry to hear that Crying or Very sad
last year, there was a couple of 6r's that couldn't be given away...
this year, everybody wants one Shocked
stick a plea in "bikes wanted"...sure you'll get one Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
ed_is_dead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that'il teach me for being impetuous and optimistic haha.
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_is_dead wrote:

The paint scheme on my 6 is the most 'common' but is the best looking in my opinion. My clutch was dragging badly when i first bought the bike. The bike had been unregistered and sat in the previous owners living room for 3 years which contributed to the clurch drag issue i think. With a good flush, new oil and plenty of use the clutch has actually come back to normal operation.

When i drop the engine i'll remove the clutch to check it and replace if needed.

Cheers,
Brian
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to bleed my clutch at the bleed nipple on the slave. It was not an easy job but it can be done. I think from memory i loosened the nipple with a socket and just nipped it. Then used a small spanner while bleeding and then tightened with a socket again. Removal of the slave is impossible with the engine in.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have plenty of photo's of my 6 with the fairing off, close-ups of different parts if you're interested in anything in particular and i'll post some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: