Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Alternative wheels for a db4
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very light, and maybe a bit TOO light as the DB has a tendency not to wont to go in a straight line now and gets buffeted around alot, but then who needs straight lines Very Happy
But then Dymags UP7's alloy wheels are not that much heavier.
deebee4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
They are very light, and maybe a bit TOO light as the DB has a tendency not to wont to go in a straight line now and gets buffeted around alot, but then who needs straight lines Very Happy
But then Dymags UP7's alloy wheels are not that much heavier.

Too light wheels on a bike with quick turning geometry (steep front en and short wheelbase) will make it unstable at high speeds, indeed. Since I'm only using my db4 on track I prefer some stability on higher speeds. The bike itself already turns in fast with the stock wheels, so just a bit lighter will be perfect for me.

Still looking into an alternatve front wheel. Have to measure it up first before I buy something that doesn't fit.

Now the engine is taken apart, it'll receive Carillos as replacement for the stock con rods. Just to make it "bullet proof" next to a tune-up.
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light wheels only cause problems on motorways etc when there are lots of cross winds etc and buffeting from other vehicles, never had an issue when I'm om country lanes.
Get the DB of those and its just grin factor all the way.

Front should be easy, thats a Ducati 916/748, and probably 900ss or an RSV Aprilia .
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, now I can limit my search field.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend lighter but not light wheels. i got ally 5 spokes from Dyamg on my DB4 courtesy of Vort,on the old Anteras the head was shaking a little and nervous at high speed. Fitted the ally dymags, some 6 kilos lighter,but not as light as carbon ones, and gone are the head shakes. Suspension settings all left as previous, so down to the wheels. Same tyres were also put back on so that wasn't the issue either
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
I'd recommend lighter but not light wheels. i got ally 5 spokes from Dyamg on my DB4 courtesy of Vort,on the old Anteras the head was shaking a little and nervous at high speed. Fitted the ally dymags, some 6 kilos lighter,but not as light as carbon ones, and gone are the head shakes. Suspension settings all left as previous, so down to the wheels. Same tyres were also put back on so that wasn't the issue either

I agree with the ally Dymag option. The Antera wheels are quite heavy for a nimble sports bike like the db4, however shaking the head and nervous at high speeds normally isn't a symptom of - too - heavy wheels. Heavier wheels tend to stabilize the bike because of the increased gyroscopic inertia. Sometimes worn wheel bearings or headstock bearings with excessive play have the same negative effect.

Also trying to fit a nice (used) Bitubo steering damper, but its stroke is too short so I need to improvise. Since I only will set it to the lightest setting just to stabilize the front end when it gets too light when I get on the throttle I can fit it somewhere tucked inside the fairing.
Never had the need for a steering damper other than when almost whacking the throttle...... but that's fun too......
Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a threaded boss on the left hand side frame rail, which is under the fairing, intended for a steering damper, then you just need the collar for the left side fork leg to attach to.
oNLY VISIBLE WHEN YOU PULL THE FAIRING OFF
I did look at mounting one across the headlamp bracket, but its quite congested in there and the bracket is only light plate steel, so wasn't sure of integrity in drilling holes and fitting a damper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: