Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 x Japan now lives in Kiwiland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince186

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hursty, how is the riding now… can you feel a difference with all the maintenance you did Question
Hursty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vince

YES Very Happy it was definitely worth the wait and the $$$

Its been too hot here to ride everyday Cool but I have had a few good runs and its a different bike.
The new rear spring and ride height have made a huge change to how it corners Very Happy and I already thought it was great Shocked but we ran out of time and $$ to strip the front forks and fit heaver springs and oil and now with more weight on the front end they are are now the weak link ( excluding the rider )

Now that the motor has been checked and after the dyno run I find myself redlining a lot more Laughing but mine hits the limiter at 11,000 not the 11,500 on the clock anyone else have this Question

The combination of the ignition advancer and all the carb set up and airbox mods have made for a nice fat smooth power delivery Very Happy

We changed the jetting and are now back on 95-98 octane gas before I had to run on 91 Sad

The only problem apart from having to re tighten the bodywork allen key bolts after the first proper run was when it started missing and not running clean one day last week, I was giving it beans to try and clear it out when I noticed sparks below the clocks Shocked
The battery leads that cross over had rubbed through and were shorting out Crying or Very sad

This is my SMACO quick fix till the next time the bodywork is off its now running strong again Very Happy

Only got the bike back after my mechanic worked through to the small hours to finish it after the dyno run, he packed up his van and drove to the other end of NZ for the first round of NZ Superbikes arrived a day late Sad no practice had to start off the rear of the grid battled through the field to 5th had a great race and then had his front wheel taken out trying a pass, down he went broken kneecap Crying or Very sad
Sad end for a real top bloke who lives and breaths his racing and stayed behind so I could have my Bimota back to ride over summer.
oily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...loving the samco band aid Laughing

hope your feeling suitably guilty about your mechanic

Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Hursty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure am, it was race one of six over three a week road trip Sad
What about the red line question Question
sb6rdaz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rev limiter on that engine is actually under 11k rpm, think 10500 from memory, but OE tacho's tend to read optimistically. The tacho may be used on the 750 too, not sure if the SB7 used the same clockset, but your limiter isn't cutting in early, just the slightly inaccurate reading of the tacho.

On the Dyno, it show's up a lot more, some bikes tachos over read by quite a margin. I believe Yamaha had a few issues when they claimed one of their bikes rev'd to something like 17k rpm, but in truth it was only about15k, it was just the tacho telling lies.

Years back it was the done thing to run the 1100 on the 750 ECU to extend the revs a little, but not sure which 750 it was now that we robbed the ECU from.

Daz.

Last edited by sb6rdaz on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
oily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hursty wrote:

What about the red line question Question

Short answer.......don't know Rolling Eyes

All (11) the bimota and gsxr 1100 clocks I've got red line at 11.5. Can't say I ever watch the rev counter when I'm giving it that much.
Just checked the dyno print out for the 3 bims I've had on a dyno and they all top out at 11k.
There's your answer....
They all do that sir Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
oily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb6rdaz wrote:

Years back it was the done thing to run the 1100 on the 750 ECU to extend the revs a little, but not sure which &750 it was now that we robbed the ECU from.

Daz.

That was the oil cooled slingshot and it resulted in a few blown 1100 motors.
Ask me how I know Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
sb6rdaz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, never did it with a stock motor, and there is little point really as the motor has peaked and given it's best already, so all you'd achieve is to add a little over-rev.

Think it was a water cooled 750 we used the ECU from, maybe a WP, and it advanced a little more too, so made it a little shaper as the revs grew.

Daz.
Hursty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know oily Very Happy
Vince186

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s really terrible about your mechanic… Shocked
That you don’t fix with flowers….
I guess you have to do your own maintenance in the future Wink
Hursty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not a flowers kind of bloke, nor am I unless I need some extra points with my GF Very Happy
As for doing my own fettling I left school a long time ago to be a bike mechanic and found out I was shit at it Embarassed
Just as well I found some thing else I'm ok at so although I enjoy watching you guy's pull your bikes apart in your man caves Wink
I am happy to let a pro do the hard stuff and I will just wash it ride it and maybe adjust the chain Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hursty wrote:

As for doing my own fettling I left school a long time ago to be a bike mechanic and found out I was shit at it Embarassed

...I know a few like that but they still haven't realized they'er shit at it Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Vince186

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hursty wrote:
He's not a flowers kind of bloke, nor am I unless I need some extra points with my GF Very Happy
Just as well I found some thing else I'm ok at so although I enjoy watching you guy's pull your bikes apart in your man caves Wink
I am happy to let a pro do the hard stuff and I will just wash it ride it and maybe adjust the chain Laughing

You must do what you can best. Laughing Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on your bikes is the best way to get to know your bikes. If you do simple stuff you'll soon get knowledge and confidence to do more as you go. If you know the bike well you'll know instantly if somethings not quite right.

Give it a go i recon... there's always plenty of advice on this forum, some of it's even good advice Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Hursty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been about three weeks and a 1000ks since I got my baby back and I've been out riding almost every day Very Happy

Today was awesome a 180ks of 2nd 3rd and 4th gear sweepers on a back road and not much traffic Laughing

The new set up is a bit firm in the rear so we might revisit the spring weight
and I still need to upgrade the front forks springs for something a little firmer but even so its great fun to throw into the corners Cool

Looking at the weather in other parts of the globe Sad I feel the need to get out as much as possible while the weather here is a sunny 25c to make up for all those who can't Wink

I got the final bill for all my work so far Rolling Eyes and I can see why you guy's do it yourself with 44 hours of labour so far Shocked

But I'm happy to spend it when it all works so well and nothing falls off when I'm pushing on Cool

The bugs were out today so my baby needs a wash

So it's all nice and clean for tomorrow

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 12 of 26

Jump to: