Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Ohlins forks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mainstone41

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Ohlins forks Reply with quote

Hi chaps, any thoughts on which and how to fit a set of ohlins to me bike and what probs there could be? I saw some where someone had done it, looks good to me!
oily

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz has a pair on his 6R Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way you'll need tripple clamps, clip-ons, mudgaurd, and wheel spindle. I'd say have a look at Ducati S bikes and if you can get the type of fork with axial caliper plates then you'll need 40mm spacing. Obviously if you go for radial brakes then you'll need to add a pair of calipers ... so you'll probably be looking at a grand
On a bike worth 4k ? Not that were concerned with that.

Another way would be to consider a different brand ... WP maybe or something "standard" with a cartridge kit

After all that though remember the speedo runs off the front wheel so you'll be looking to change the clocks too. Personally I'm going to stick with the Paoili, they work OK for now.
sb6rdaz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do the front end with Ohlins for £1k you're a better man than me!!!!

You will need all of the above, plus have to mess with wheel and disc spacings. If converting the front to Ohlins, go for the radials and use the calipers to match, may as well jump in for the whole works.

Forks will be close to £1k, but over it by the time you have had them serviced and sorted the springing to suit the heavier SB6.

Yokes will cost you £500ish to have made, someone like Dynamic will make one-off parts, but will take time. Clip-ons around £75-100, then the time and cost to make the spindle and all the caliper/disc spacers.

I started with an Aprilia set of forks, then fitted the Ohlins Superbike internals. The yokes were made by Dynamic, and cost me £600 a good while ago but are very trick and as strong as you could hope for.

If you wanna do the swap, and need more info, PM me, but you will need to be 100% sure you want to make the swap before you can justify the spend. On the road they won't offer a massive improvement, but if you track your bike and push hard, then the difference is huge.

Daz.
oily

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Personally I'm going to stick with the Paoili, they work OK for now.

Personally, I'm going to stick with Paioli because i've got 6 pairs and I can't afford Ohlins. I probably wouldn't notice any difference under normal road riding conditions Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
sb6rdaz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
Evilchicken0 wrote:
Personally I'm going to stick with the Paoili, they work OK for now.

Personally, I'm going to stick with Paioli because i've got 6 pairs and I can't afford Ohlins. I probably wouldn't notice any difference under normal road riding conditions Wink

Totally agree there, if ridden on the road, a well serviced and cared for set of the Paioli forks will work just as well in 99 times out of 100 scenarios. And probably better than mine due to the internals I have fitted, which are very track focused.

I used mine as a track bike more than the road, so it worked well for me. The stock Ohlins internals may hold some benfit, but whether a small gain is worth such a large investment is down to the owner really I guess.

Daz.
mainstone41

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought, umm.. costly and a lot of work. Best think on this a little long. Cheers for responses guys.
oily

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mainstone41 wrote:
Food for thought, umm.. costly and a lot of work. Best think on this a little long. Cheers for responses guys.

...it would be a faction of the cost to have your RSU46's re worked Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: