Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Removing emissions canister on SB8K Santa Monica

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daotoys1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Removing emissions canister on SB8K Santa Monica Reply with quote

What is the right way to remove the emissions canister/filter that is behind the seat and under the tail section of the SB8K Santa Monica ( California air pollution laws require this part ).

Since Im not in California Id like to remove the canister as it is not required outside of that state.

Any help is welcomed

thanks
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing you have done this now due to the seat hump thread ? Was going to ask for a picture just out of interest, but to late I suppose.
daotoys1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
I am guessing you have done this now due to the seat hump thread ? Was going to ask for a picture just out of interest, but to late I suppose.

There are 2 hoses that attach to the top side of the canister, and one vent hose that exits the other end of the canister.

To remove the canister , brackets, and some of the hoses its fairly straight forward;

The larger of the 2 hoses on the top of the canister carries the gas tank/ gas cap fumes to the canister. The smaller of the 2 top hoses actually leaves the canister and recycles these fumes back into the bikes intake system.

The small hose that goes from the canister to the intake should be disconnected from the canister and plugged.

The larger hose that carries the gas fumes to the canister should be removed from the canister and then vented to the atmosphere.

The canister, mounting brackets, and other bits can then be tossed or put into your box of take off parts.

What I did when I removed the canister, I simply attached the hose from the gas tank/ gas cap, and spliced it to the vent hose from the other end of the canister ( after tossing the canister of course). BIMOTA did a great job having the vent hose from the bottom of the emissions canister, terminating and venting to the atmosphere right at the very back of the top of the bike by the tail light. I decided to keep this set up because its clean, and neat and makes good sense. It vents any fumes from the gas tank well away from the engine and/or the exhaust and having it higher than the gas tank helps keep any excess gasoline from leaving the system and possibly drooling on the bike, or catching you and or the bike on fire......

I hope that I have explained this OK. I should add that one thing I still want to do is put a small filter inline with the exit vent tube. This prevents any contamination from getting into the vent tube, and either plugging it up, or making its way to the fuel. If you dont use a filter in the vent that goes to the atmosphere, you can get debris into the system when you are riding, and water and soap can find its way in when you wash the bike.

Doug
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: