Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Differences in YB8 bodywork

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud977

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Differences in YB8 bodywork Reply with quote

I'm looking for raceglass for my YB8.

I've sent out a few queries, but the best option is Moto Forza in the Czech Republic. They can make the bodywork as race glass i.e. no headlight opening, light weight and strengthened in the right places. The freight to Sydney will be expensive, but I don't have much choice.

http://www.motoforzafairings.com/en/product/Bimota-YB8---YB8-Furano-92-/BYB8-CSR_Complete-set-2-pieces-Racing

Now, Moto Forza have the YB8 Furano pattern, which is a bit different to the bodywork fitted to my YB8. My seat unit has a 'wing' which comes down to the footpegs, and the sides may be lower. The Furano fairing has some extra holes.

Furano:

My YB8:

Does anyone know if there are any other differences eg. shape, and will it fit the normal YB8?

YB6 bodywork looks different again. The cut-out in the fairing is different, and there are no slots in the seat.

YB6:

Can I get the original shape anywhere? I like the shape of the YB8 seat.

Last edited by Bud977 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the only difference between yours and the Furano is the bits by the rearsets then it wouldn't be to difficult to copy then cut / shut in. I imagine you're going to paint it anyway.
laminator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the YB4 and YB6 share the same fairings and frame. My YB4 is in Portugal otherwise I could try swapping the seat units over.

Ignore this -"My YB6 and YB8 are stored in different places but if the weathers OK and I have some free time at the weekend, I could try swapping them. But, I'm quite sure they are interchangeable."

The YB7, although very similar, is unique. Air intake for the airbox is ontop of the seat cowl and the dimensions of the bike are smaller.

There are several YB8 (YB6 EXUP) fairings. All these fairings, apart from the YB7, should fit other models as the frames are the same.

My YB8 (YB6 EXUP) has been fitted with a YB8 EVO fairing.

Last edited by laminator on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bimotabob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the fairing mounting points on the Furano differ from the earlier bikes though of course.
Bimota used similar frames but not the same, you'll have to modify the frame where the rear cowling locates near the headstock by removing the old side mounts and drilling a 6mm hole in the frame. Also the front fairing mounts on the sides below the handlebars may clash as the furano does not have these and uses one under the headlights and two carbon inserts each side of the headstock that attach with 2 fasteners each side to the fairing.
But hopefully the lower mount and the two rear subframe aluminium bolts are in the same place
Being a race bike will be much easier though as some brackets and small mods cant be too bad.
Bud977

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. So to me it looks like:

Seat/tank unit:
YB4 and YB6 are the same.
YB8 has the same shape as the 4/6, but has the slots on the sides.
YB8 Furano has the seat with the shorter sides and has the slots. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the top of the ducktail could be different.

Fairing:
YB4 and YB6 are the same.
YB8 has the same shape as the 4/6, but doesn't have the intake holes near the headlights.
YB8 Furano has different arms behind the mirrors, different intakes, and has a grill inserted at the rear on the sides.

I don't want to risk the Furano pattern as it's a long way to ship the parts to find they don't quite fit.

I'm going to say those oft repeated words on this site - I think I'll make my own moulds. I've done it before but not very well. I can only get better with practice.
who

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a set for the YB6-YB8 exup from a company in NZ. PM me your email and I will forward their details. Cheers,
Ralph
Bud977

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get a price from a NZ company, but it was too expensive. I think they applied the Bimota multiplier.
bimotabob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that quote from Glenn from Just Fairings in Hamilton or is there some other crowd i need to know about? Cheers
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was from a different place. I'm surprised there is another shop in NZ making YB8 fairings.

I'll PM you the details of the company I asked. I don't want to name a specific company on a public forum as being too dear.
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Glenn from Just Fairings. He advised that they don't have anything for the YB8 Sad
bimotabob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the YB8 EVO fairings look identical to my Furano.
I heard that model run was using up the stock of parts left over and i would believe that.
Frame and swingarm would be the same so its just suspension and rims and injection and some bolts ons that would differ.
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a set of fairings from MotoForza. I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive.
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a set of fairings from MotoForza. I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: