Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5 Mirrors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: DB5 Mirrors Reply with quote

DB5 Mirrors

I don't know it this was addressed here already… DB5 original mirrors have totally wrong angle. I put them apart, removed mechanism that enables little rotation / angle adjustment and made new aluminium part which is fixed, but at right angle. I wanted to have original mirrors and this is simple fix.

SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a new owner of a DB5R and would be very interested in how you removed the mirrors from the housings! That is a vey elegant solution to the amusing mirror configuration.
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh CNC I'd be interested in that also...as cant see how to get the glass out of the unit.....Evidently the existing mirrors are pants...even by Bimota standards that is....I started off by fitting a bar end mirror on end of clip on...and then bought chinky chinese alloy mirrors that fit anything really and work a treat...including postage only around 30 squid delivered...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bimota-DB5S-2005-2006-2007-2008-2009-DB5S-2010-2011-SB6-1998-1999-BLACK-MIRRORS-/111070058070?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19dc4a9656

You will have to use some longer bolts to get them to fit, and put nylock nuts in the mirror ends, but that parts simple enough, multi adjustable and foldable also...a god send in my garage
CNC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My procure removing original glass:

- original glass is also taped into housing - you want to slice it of with thin long knife / blade
- lift one edge of the glass (outer one) and put some wood or plastic part between edge of glass and housing. It will keep gap and gives you just enough space to fit slim blade under glass
- tape edge of the housing that you won't damage the edge (all around)
- with small movements start to slice glass off the holder... Job gets easier when less amount of tape holds glass

I hope it is understandable... I don't have pictures oft that unfortunately.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats all understandable Jure so great stuff..would love to put standard mirrors back on, after suitable modification of course so they at least work in some way,,,,as opposed to not at all...suppose at least with tape they can be removed unlike with glue...perhaps spraying WD40 down through the gap may also work as this destroys glue...and is great at removing glue from fingers also, including superglue...
SpikeC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention this! I got out my favorite super thin putty knife this morning and with the aid of some heat from a heat gun, the glass came right out. The plastic piece that the glass is taped to rides in a socket, I cut a groove in the top of the socket and the metal piece that secures it, and now the mirror tilts up to where it is almost useable!
I am going to make up a tapered shim to go under the glass to bring the bottom of it out about another quarter of an inch and it should be just dandy!
1965 Triumph T100SC
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, my right side morrow works just fine, I made a tapered shim out of teak wood and it works great, now, where can I find a mirror glass for the left side? It has somehow developed a seam down the middle of the glass.....[/u]
1965 Triumph T100SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: