Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Yb9 fork rebuild?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joergen76

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Yb9 fork rebuild? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have a yb9 with rsu 43 forks that are leaking. The former Bimota dealer in Norway says that these forks need a total rebuild after 10000 km if ridden hard. Mine has 19000 on it and as far as I know it has been abused the last 13000. I asked Bimota-teile.de and they gave me a price on oil and dust seals, but not a word about bushings and o-rings. Any thoughts about this?
Do I need a rebuild or will the seals do the trick? I have never ridden the bike, but the previous owner (my neighbour) says they were fine when he parked it five years ago.

Regards,

Joergen
who

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joergen, Just my opinion okay?

Pull them apart and check bushing play, replace the seals.

Forks and shocks should be serviced like all other mechanical components. Assess, inspect, and then take appropriate action. Quite often oil change is all that is required (unless seals are leaking)

We change our engine oil every whatever km's. but leave our rear shock in place for 20 years...lol. Cheers,
Ralph
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this first, But rather that using this special tool, use a high quality PAPER business card.
People will show you how to use other products, like film, or plastic cards, but those can rip or cut your seals. If you use them properly and keep them tight against the fork tube, film or plastic cards can work, there is just a bit of a risk involved.
Using the paper card also has its risks, such as, the card tearing because it became too soggy with oil.
You only want to make one circular pass with each paper business card, then repeat with a new card two or three times.

I fixed my leaky seals on my SB6R with Paoli RSU 43s on it, with this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wlzfoVroSY

'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
Joergen76

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. New problem: Opened the fork today. It does not look like the pictures in the owners manual i found on the web. When i take the top off, there is no spring there. The spring has to be somewhere further down. How do i get the spring out? And loosen the cartridge? Measuring Oil level? I have serviced forks before, but this is new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Joergen
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the forks still in the bike ?
If they are like the rsu46/51mm forks the seal carrier is a seperate piece. Remove the dust seal and the seal circlip and you will be able to tap the seal carrier down the fork lower rather than have to undo the cartridge.
Also with the fork out and the cap removed the slider should just drop into the fork lower to show the spring.
Joergen76

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forks are off the bike. I can slide the inner tube all the way down, but still no spring. There is a washer there with four holes in it. it probably holds the spring down. i will look at the seal carrier tomorrow. If it goes down maybe i can see whats under it. The reason i want to open it is that i only got out maybe 100 - 200 cc of dirty oil. Im afraid there is a lot of crap in the bottom. I dont think flushing it would be enough. Anyone who knows how much oil there is supposed to be in there?

Joergen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: