Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 Parts and Workshop Manuals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: DB2 Parts and Workshop Manuals Reply with quote

The DB4 is gone and had no plans for another "clip-on" sport bike, but a nice Tri-Colore DB2 just "fell" into my lap! It's been sitting for some time and needs a thorough going through. Anyone have hard or soft copies of a Parts Book or Workshop Manual? Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Chuck S.
brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims might be able to help you out there, or at least point you in the right direction.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you have some spare time check out this thread... http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1196&start=0
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Brian says Chuck...I should be able to help you out there, as I'm pretty sure I have electronic copies of the DB2 spares booklet and workshop manuals....afraid they arent as comprehensive as say for the Db4....but they do give you the exploded diagrammatics at least.

I also have the Db4 electronic workshop manuals which are better, as the engine is the same...and can assist with whatever else info you may need...pretty sure I still have your email address lying around..

Congrates on the Db2...pictures please...I would say its brave of you as the Db2 is a more cramped, stretched, tall riding position than the DB4...so best of luck there..

The tr-color Db2 was an odd one...limited number sprayed up by the importer in the US...not really an official color scheme for Bimota...but certainly prettier than the stock standard red and white versions....

"fell into your lap" Eh? some people have all the luck...
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Wallaman....Spare parts manual and Workshop manual now sent through to your email....so let me know if you've got them...also the Practical Sportsbikes magazine article that they did on my bike...but I think I sent that to you at the time.....

If any bits needed give me a shout as I either have pieces or maybe can assist where to get bits from....Front sprockets are NOT same as Ducati ones...they have a recessed offset.....other than that if its straight and all there then there shouldnt be any issues, bearings, all items rubber, fuel lines hoses, belts etc...fluids...carb clean and jobs a good un....Keep us all updated please...or if you wnat any pictures uploading just email them through and I'll stick them up on here for you..best of luck
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Forgot to mention...the good old "fairing removal" tee hee..not quite like the Db4 as its one piece, remove mirrors, remove front mudguard, undo all fairing fasteners on sides and dzus fittings underneath, disconnect front indicators...then prise the one piece fairing apart like a clam shell and pull forwards around the front wheel and off...lay a capet or rug on the ground first so as not to scratch the underside...best with 2 people helping....dont need to be too gentle but take your time
wallaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian/Steve,
Thanks for the replies and emails. Very helpful. I had seen this bike a year or two ago and thought the seller was asking too much considering its overall condition so I passed. He "sold" it on ebay a couple of times for significant money, but apparently those sales fell through. I got a note from him out of the blue saying he still had the bike and wanted it gone (badly!) and was I still interested. Given I've been trying to slim the collection a bit and also trying to rid myself of "clip-on" rides, I told him not much interest, but here's a number. The bike was in my garage a few hours later! He had the fairing off (pretty sure all the hardware is there to put it back) and was trying to charge the old battery (to no avail). So I guess I get to learn about fairing "removal" in reverse Smile

I really haven't time to fool with it for the next month or so, but hopefully all it needs is a fresh battery and new fluids all around. Given the no history, a set of timing belts is likely also in order. It has a few nice upgrades: radial Brembo front brake and clutch pumps, lots of carbon, an Ohlins rear shock, etc. Not sure what else as I haven't looked at it that closely yet. Time will tell. Tried to post a link from an old "Rare Sportbikes for Sale" post, but no luck. I'll get some pics once it's back together and running again.

Thanks.
Chuck S.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Worries Chuck.....bits for the fairing are simple 4 bolts for the mirrors, 4 allen bolts for the fairing, 2 each side, with backing shaped ally spacers, and 2 Dzus fittings under the belly pan..all fairly standard.....seat tank unit is 4 bolts again, and 2 crazy large allen key bolts made of plastic between the seat hump and seat.....No clips, straps or brackets, as all boss welded onto frame

Will be nice to know whats been done to it, I recall the RareSportsbikes for sale emails and posts.......carbon should be limited to the rear hugger and front mudguard only, rest is fibreglass....recall the upgraded brembo units, a nice to have as originals would have been the black coffin pot masters...ok ...but seals may have been past their best by now anyhow.

I do recall it had had the rear end "chopped" ie. the rear number plate mudguard and indicator section integral to the fibreglass fairing had been cut off...with the license plate fitted underneath the end cans....

Ohlins with a separate remote adjuster under ride seat behind seat is standard, should have a nice alloy bracket that bots to the rear subframe unit.....

HEres the old link to the ebay ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-Bimota-DB2-NO-RESERVE-/181145393751?ViewItem=&item=181145393751&forcev4exp=true#v4-35

crankcase

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

The tr-color Db2 was an odd one...limited number sprayed up by the importer in the US...not really an official color scheme for Bimota...but certainly prettier than the stock standard red and white versions....

it's in the brochure Steve.
and I don't believe that an importer could get the paint quality as good as my tricolore is.
The tricky was also available in other countries too- to distinguish between the SR in purple and the continued carb model.
I'm quite sure it's a factory job.
Ian
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah....I'm probably being "suckered" into the hype that is alwats printed when you see one for sale in the US, that "the importer had them specially painted in tricolor for the US market" although it never says who actually painted them....I know the US ones have the Italian and USA flag lapped over each other on each side of the fairing, what does yours have on it Crankie? Yours is defo the Euro model though as it has the separate Euro sidelight atop the twin beam unit doesnt it?

Dont have that brochure crankie....is it a model range one? Only have the Db2 standard one and the purple coloured one....
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Steve and Chuck
it's on the back on my 'purple' DB2SR brochure.
no flags on mine : (
which I got in Edinburgh- and I'm pretty sure it was a UK delivered bike, I have never seen any Union Jack stickers on a DB2.
Have seen with US, Japan, German and I saw a dutch flag jobbie recently!
I understood they did the tricolore to differentiate from the purple injection bike. But very few were sold because they dropped the price of the SR to what the carb bike had previously been offered for- and of course everybody wanted the new and 'better' injection.
Was it really better?
well the editione finale went back to carbs- or were they just some of the left over parts stock?
Saying all that, I have seen acouple of red/white/greens with SR stickers too.
all typical Bimota stuff.
Personally I'm happy with carbs and I waited 8 years to find a tricolore for the right price in the sort of right place.
Funnily mine has the Bimota logo in plain white- only seen one other like that- all the others have a red colour graduation which looks like pink !
mine also has gold footrest brackets and rear disc inner carrier- which have almost surely been done by a previous owner.
great bike, well done Chuck
you are unlikely to regret it.
Ian
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Ian...as a true Bimota enthusiast you are, ever a mine of useless information other than to another Bimota nut Laughing , and it'll teach me to look at the back of each sales brochure I have before I store them away and never looking at them again, as you say...tricolor carbie on back of DB2SR brochure....would also explain your black framed model...but as you say with Bimota, every change is explained as its "Bimota"...and teh only thing standard is that nothing is standard....

Unlikely to regret it? I'd second that....I almost forget how much fun it is until I next ride it that is....and am always at great pains not to let GeeKay just ride that one....although since his trip out on the Vdue perhaps he has a new favourite in my garage.....until it breaks... Embarassed
wallaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to take a quick look at the DB2 yesterday to see what other mods had been made besides the front brake and clutch pumps. Somewhere along the way, it picked up carbon belt covers and a billet clutch, cover and slave cylinder. As you saw in the pics, it also has some "interesting" bar end turn signals that have to go. We don't have a safety inspection requirement here in AZ so I may just run without. Need to think about that one a bit more.

FYI, the fairing has the flags on each side up towards the front. And if I had to guess, I'd guess the paint is original.

That's it for now.

Thanks.
Chuck S.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know its had some aftermarket bits thrown onto it...not many around that havent been played with...and fortunate on the Clutch slave front also...as it would have been almost at the end of its life anyhow if still original...Original indicators are as still available cheaply for Ducati 900SS, 1997 onwards, Duc 916/996-998 etc...fit straight onto front fairing but I gather the rear plate holder is chopped with no place to put indicators?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: