Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Old air filters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimotanige

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Old air filters Reply with quote

An interesting find on my KB1 as I put it together. It ran a bit smoky when starting up and didn't smell of oil or fuel. After a bit of investigation I found the air filter medium had disintegrated and was being sucked into the engine in tiny bits due to vibration of start up. I don't know how old these are but the gauze is intact so they look fine until you tap it on the side -see picture! may be worth having a look if you have never replaced them on an older machine

Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those type of filters are always a bit crap though, more for show.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit slack of you there Nige....with your stripdowns and restos I'd have thought you'd have cleaned and reoiled them...and discovered if they were shot before refitting them........Dont know what type those are with the chrome caps...but K&N similar mesh cone filters...but with rubbe tops, come with a lifetime guarantee.........Although having said that I think I'll check the ones I have on the Db2 toute suite as they must be 15 years old by now...although they did clean up and oil up nicely when I last washed them..........

Am Assuming KB2 is all back together now then??
Frank.61

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel,

Strange .... is it the airfilter medium or the rubber that desintegrated?
What is the brand of the filter? K&N?

Thought the medium was cotton and assumed it could only rot ....

2Bims, do you actually wash them out?
Mine never were dirty enough to do so Embarassed

By the way someone told me the K&N type filters are not that efficient at speed (in collecting air that is), but they are so typical 80-ties so I will use them on my SB4 anyway.

Frank
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank...yes I do wash my filters out...they are K&N Cone Air filters (this is on my DB2) so I use their cleaning fluids that you simply spray on the dirty side and wait ten minutes...then run under a tap from the clean side out...a slow moving flow of water...nothing too aggressive...and then re-oil them on the outside with the K&N oil which is red so you can see which areas have "taken" to the oil and which havent.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1311.R7.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.XK%26N+&_nkw=k+n+filter+cleaner&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Their cleaner and oils are less harmful than petrol that I use to use MANY many years ago on an old KDX200...oiled up with 2 stoke oil...you'd be surprised how much dirty water comes out when running under a tap.....leave to dry naturally and then re-oil...simples
bimotanige

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims
I started the bike when I bought it , and for the MOT that's all. It became apparent when I cleaned and dried them - and they disintegrated. Just a note on here for those of us with the earlier bikes with cone filters to check at some point. I suspect they have been on a very long time!!
Frank, they seem good enough for my SB4 -it ran up to an indicated 130mph no problem on the Isle of Man with some in reserve
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nige...so will the KB be back together ready for the forthcoming show? Keep missing each other on the dog and bone....just needing a Yay or Nay?

Evidently if the filters have been on for nearly 30 years...probably due a change..........
bimotanige

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a KB1 btw and it will be done by next weekend. :
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB1...KB1...must try and remember...so done by next weekend...hooray...will it be travelling across to Mcr for 22nd/23rd March for any particular reason?????? Laughing
Frank.61

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nige,

My first motorcycle which I bought in 1979 (CB 400 F2) had the K&N filters, I found them high tech/state of the art in those days! Very Happy
Love them since although today the original paper ones are at least as good.
So was the first I bought after I got the Bimota in my garage.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: