Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

first run of the year (and the bike) - rear brake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dingbat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: first run of the year (and the bike) - rear brake Reply with quote

Hi all, finally a sunny and dry weekend down south in UK ! Took the bodywork off the bike - EF10 with JM pipes and did the PDI, as mentioned by those going before had just about the full complement of little stuff to sort out. Good job I didnt ride it without checking ! After draining carbs etc and checking it all over it fired up on the starter with no problems. A short run of about 6 miles (not too far from home ) reveals the bike runs just as expected ; not too happy at low revs but starts to run properly at around 5-6000 rpm which I will limit it to for a few hundred miles. Only untoward thing was that rear brake siezed on after a several braking applications. Couldnt make it to the pub ! Stopped and let it cool off, rode home front brakes only - took caliper apart to have a look - nothing obviously wrong, disc fine. It didnt stick from sitting. Mine appears to have a cast iron disc - anyone know if thats standard equipment - if there is such a thing ! ? Will do a little fettling of the rear brake pedal linkage and stop as I think brake may be dragging a little - enough to heat up the disc. Apart from that - what a fantastic bike - several other bikers craning their necks on the road to see what it was ! The jolly pipes do get others attention ! Very Happy
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thats the standard Bimota rear disc, and as of yet not identified to any other bike. Similar to a few , but different mounting, and seen the locking up issue before, tends to be badly adjusted/setup or resting your foot on it by mistake.
Low down running may be down to bloked jets etc. Mine got progressively worse during the first few hundred miles, and was down to idle buypass being blocked with snot.

But congrads on first run, and get used to the attention. Everywhere you go there will be questions !!! Very Happy
mm500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats with your first drive
what about some pictures of your new toy Very Happy
851jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: first run of the year (and the bike) - rear brake Reply with quote

dingbat wrote:
Hi all, finally a sunny and dry weekend down south in UK ! Took the bodywork off the bike - EF10 with JM pipes and did the PDI, as mentioned by those going before had just about the full complement of little stuff to sort out. Good job I didnt ride it without checking ! After draining carbs etc and checking it all over it fired up on the starter with no problems. A short run of about 6 miles (not too far from home ) reveals the bike runs just as expected ; not too happy at low revs but starts to run properly at around 5-6000 rpm which I will limit it to for a few hundred miles. Only untoward thing was that rear brake siezed on after a several braking applications. Couldnt make it to the pub ! Stopped and let it cool off, rode home front brakes only - took caliper apart to have a look - nothing obviously wrong, disc fine. It didnt stick from sitting. Mine appears to have a cast iron disc - anyone know if thats standard equipment - if there is such a thing ! ? Will do a little fettling of the rear brake pedal linkage and stop as I think brake may be dragging a little - enough to heat up the disc. Apart from that - what a fantastic bike - several other bikers craning their necks on the road to see what it was ! The jolly pipes do get others attention ! Very Happy

Check the reservoir is not too full, if it is a little heat causes expansion and holds the brake on then the whole thing compounds its self and seizes on.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others are saying...and congrats on getting out and about...I was out on my Vdue on Sunday also...so thats 2 in the UK out on the same day...more of a treat for other bikers as you say...you'll not be short of folk wanting to either chat about it or ask what on earth it is......and "what manufacturer did they get the engine from mate?" is the common one....

Yup rear discs are a high iron content rather than cast iron or SS...supposed to have more friction...fronts will be ss so no issues on when they get wet.....rears are fine, even when wet...but dry them after washing or you'll end up with a golden disc 10 minutes later....the master cylinder can dry out and get stuck...locking on eventually....dont forget the bikes are 17 years old..as are the parts fitted to them....pull the plunger out and remove the rubber cap and make sure the grease under there is fresh...could have dried out.......

Oh and pictures please............ Laughing

And just to shame you...heres Sundays piccies

First Sign of Spring sunday 8.30am

So it was out with the bug spray straight away....let these things breed and its more bugs to spoil the front of your bike at speed... Wink

Pre-start up checks

Yup some things working...some things not..but nothing new...so all good so far....

And out and about...

and "arty" ones to close

brian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics Steve!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
mm500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics of a really nice bike! Smile
husson73

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inncredible the electronic speedo tacho seems working Laughing
just kidding but all the french V Dues I know with such one haven't got one which work Confused
am older typ on mine so no trouble Cool
brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some dipshit has drilled holes all over your fairing Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

husson73 wrote:
inncredible the electronic speedo tacho seems working Laughing
just kidding but all the french V Dues I know with such one haven't got one which work Confused
am older typ on mine so no trouble Cool

a lot of the electronic tacho works....only bit that doesnt is the water temp...stays on at 40 degrees and doesnt move at all...so I'm sourcing a new sender in the hope that it may one day work...other than that all good...even the low fuel light works...which is good....as it comes on a lot with these bikes...even a 70 mile trip and it will come on.....
mm500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dingbat, did you check your sprag housing bolts before driving it?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Dingbat will call in........but I myself didnt bother......was waiting for the right tools and getting to know the bike first....Tis overdue now to check as its been 900 miles now and nothing untoward...but probably not the best approach to take...Isnt my only bike so dont have to rely on it all the time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: