Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Where to get front brake discs for DB6 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olelie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Where to get front brake discs for DB6 ? Reply with quote

Due to a worn wheelbearing both front brake discs on my 2008 DB6 has warped. My mechanic says he can obtain original Braking discs (from a Spanish dealer) but they are €380 each.

Any suggestions from you forum folks on where I can obtain a set any cheaper ?

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=713010846
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you dont want the wavey breaking discs....you could go for the Brembo ones as fitted to the "R" model....half the price as the braking ones you've been quoted.........Not so keen on the braking ones myself....rubbish in the wet.......

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Coppia-dischi-freno-Brembo-flottanti-5-mm-Bimota-DB5-DB6-Delirio-/350535885822?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item519d9123fe

Other than that I'd try dealers, Bimota in Italy or Germany...or try contacting the company direct?
Heres the link....Seems to be around 210 Euros per disc...excluding tax

http://www.braking.com/products/view/54

Even "braking" own website seems to say 210 euros per disc excl tax and transport....but dont list the Db6...so contact them

http://www.braking.com/catalogue/intro.php?lang=EN

Talon are a dealer in the UK for Braking discs...strangely the Braking website doesnt show dealers for Spain???

http://www.talon-eng.co.uk/product_category/braking-parts/road-road-race/

I'd budget evidently for new brake pads as well as these will be worn at edges due to the warped discs...and I'd always fit new pads when fitting new discs....
deebee4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as you have the right dimensions and offset you can fit any disks you like. From the top of the range Brembo T Drive to the cheaper EBC disks.
If you want the bike to stay dead original, you just get the stock ones (Braking?) from the internet.
On the other hand: there are lots of good brake disks to buy.
I had the stock 4,5 mm Brembo's before on my db4, then changed them for the later and lighter 4,5 mm Brembo's. Now I run Motomaster 5,5 mm flame disks on my bike and they work well on track.
It seems that the billet centers (like on the high end Brembos and the better aftermarket disks) makes the disk run a bit more stable. The lower ends have pressed centers.

For € 760,00 you can buy a very decent (better than stock) set of aftermarket disks off the internet.

And yes better to get new brake pads as well. But remember brake pad compound has probably more influence on brake feel and behaviour than the disk itself. But thats' another topic.....Wink

Happy shopping! Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap brand new set of "braking Wavey" discs for DB6...and from a trusted guy in Italy I;ve used before

http://www.ebay.it/itm/DISCHI-FRENO-DISCK-BRAKING-DUCATI-MONSTER-DIAVEL-MULTISTRADA-SK110L-R-/281274250154?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item417d4073aa
gianni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a complete kit of 3 for sale. New. If you're still interested let me know vi PM.
olelie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help. As I did not like the non-wavy Brembos I ended up getting the original Braking discs. Seems like Bimota has some exclusivity agreement with Braking as I had to order directly from Bimota. Braking would not sell directly.

To bad I didn't see the post regarding the available discs for sale by Gianni as I would have gladly bought these. Well, then I know for next time...

As a general warning to all DB6 owners:
The front wheel bearings on the bike are according to my mechanic a weak point. The bearing supports are not very well dimensioned and could easily become worn. He suggested I check these regularly and if any doubt change them out early. As bearings are 25 euros and front discs 800 that seems like an easy decision to me.

The bike is now back on the road, beaving wonderfully with perfect brakes and also new rubbers (Michelin Pilot Power 3).

Good rides to you all !

Ole
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that shows you you must check in more often....I'll bet you paid more than the Gianni prices.......good to hear youre sorted though and good choice on the tyres........Not known an issue with the bearings on Db5 or 6.......suppose it all comes come to maintenance checking and a little grease every now and then
brian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olelie wrote:
To bad I didn't see the post regarding the available discs for sale by Gianni as I would have gladly bought these. Well, then I know for next time...

Yesy ou can always rely on the helpful and knowledgable chaps on this forum for a sulution. Or at least a shove in the right direction. Also proof in the recent post about sb6 decals... theres been a couple good leads for a solution there. Nice to see fellow ethusiasts willing to help out. Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: