Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

db4 - Italian electrics or maybe something else?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I think i may be finally getting to the bottom of this.

I put my timing light on the plug leads and the front cylinder lead seems to be not firing every few seconds. The rear cylinder also seems to miss every now and then but probably only every couple minutes.

At first ithought it might have been a problem with the timing light but i've tried it on other bikes and it flashes rythmically and flawlessly.

So my question is... is it more likely to be coils, ignition modules, pickups or a combination thereof. Can i test any of these components?

My other option is to find someone with a known good electrical sytem and start swapping components out. It's getting expensive to keep buying parts that turn out NOT to be the problem.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Couldn't get any Champion RA6HC plugs in town and I'm not sure about the NGK equivilent which is an irridium plug. I'm told that you need to run a resistor cap to run them? Anyone know anything about that?

So i went home and put the same plugs back in and fired it up. It missed and farted and backfired for a while and then cleared and came good. I haven't changed a single thing and now it's runninng fine??? Bloody contrary thing. Every so often it still backfires or coughs but clears straight away.

As a precaution, i've now replaced the plug leads as the old ones were a bit hard and stiff. I think i might replace the coils as well as i don't really know what else to do. I'm thinking about buying a set of California Cycleworks Exactfit coils. Will these be ok or should i get something like Dynatech coils?

NGK plugs for the Ducati 904cc engine: standard:DPR8EA-9 iridium: DPR8EIX-9.
About a resistor spark plug needed: I've run them on my bike with and without resistor plugs: no problem. I currently run them without resistor caps and leads, because I want a spark to land at the plug not being suppressed down the way. No problem at all. So I doubt if the information they gave you is correct.
Good thing that you changed the plug leads. Did you replace them with copper core silicone insulated ones?

Replacing coils might be an improvement, but would it clear the problem? Just look at coils for Ducati 900 2 valve engines, there might be more options (like in Oz itself) than a pair of used (the ones on the picture are definitely used with bent connector) CA Cycleworks coils sold as new.... with $ 45,00 shipping costs.

Last edited by deebee4 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:00 am; edited 2 times in total
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
OK... I think i may be finally getting to the bottom of this.

I put my timing light on the plug leads and the front cylinder lead seems to be not firing every few seconds. The rear cylinder also seems to miss every now and then but probably only every couple minutes.

At first ithought it might have been a problem with the timing light but i've tried it on other bikes and it flashes rythmically and flawlessly.

So my question is... is it more likely to be coils, ignition modules, pickups or a combination thereof. Can i test any of these components?

My other option is to find someone with a known good electrical sytem and start swapping components out. It's getting expensive to keep buying parts that turn out NOT to be the problem.

Well, on my db4 my (old) strobe light misses out on flashes too at idle. Did you put the strobe light pickup on the used plug leads or the new ones?

An idea might be swapping the coils again and see if the vertical cylinder flashes more intermittent and the horizontal is more stable? Who knows.

But how to the flashes behave at higher rpm? Can you see the timing markings move (an extra hand on the throttle might help, before you overstretch your arm and have to go the the physiotherapists... Wink)

Yes, you can test all the ignition components on the bike with a good multimeter. Just google a bit if you want quick information on that, because I'll have to look it up in my workshop manuals (bimota and ducati, both are useful for this).
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian..........its is sounding more like the crank pick-ups are failing.......you can test the continuity of the crank leads with a multimeter as DeeBee4 suggests........to replace the crank pick ups though on the DB4 its left hand side crankcase off though..........and due to the splined front sprocket shaft and a weld on the front engine frame mount...the let hand side crankcase cover wont come off without the engine being dropped....as you cant rotate the cover to cover the weld on the underside of the front frame mount........I had a similar intemittent issue on my Db1.......put it down to carbs...so stripped and cleaned them...wasnt any issues...changed plug caps and leads and plugs.....would run but then backfire miss etc.....down to the stage now where theres no spark on either plug and apparently this means faulty crank pick-up which is where I'm now at with this bike.......they gradually give up the ghost giving poor spark on occassions until such time they just give up the ghost altogether.......... Sad
brian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks deebee and 2bims.

I'll do a bit more troubleshooting and try to test the coils etc.

I'm planning on dropping the engine before too long anyway, to change the belts and do the valve clearance. So I'll replace the pickups while the engine is out.

Cheers,
Brian
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Thanks deebee and 2bims.

I'll do a bit more troubleshooting and try to test the coils etc.

I'm planning on dropping the engine before too long anyway, to change the belts and do the valve clearance. So I'll replace the pickups while the engine is out.

Cheers,
Brian

Instead of dropping the engine it's easier, faster and more practical to take off the mainfraime and the rear subframe complete with front end. And leave engine/drivetrain together as a unit.

See pictures

[ and

If you need an instruction on how to do this send me a PM message, I can give you a detailed instruction. And how to take the engine cover off.

Indeed a good upportunity to change timing belts and check valve clearance. If you don't have a Ducati 904cc repair manual, now is the time to get one. You also may re-route some wiring loom to make access easier and faciliate future engine/frame splitting.

Cheers!
Corona

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PDF copy of the manual covering '91 to '96. It is 190 MB, I also have a copy of the DB4 parts list which is only about 2 meg. If you require these I can send you copies.
That looks like a hell of a spanner frenzy deebee Shocked
deebee4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona wrote:
I have a PDF copy of the manual covering '91 to '96. It is 190 MB, I also have a copy of the DB4 parts list which is only about 2 meg. If you require these I can send you copies.
That looks like a hell of a spanner frenzy deebee Shocked

The engine of a db4 is 1998 and onwards. My Haynes repair manual covers the belt driven 2 valvers (583cc - 904cc) from 1994 to 1998 and I find it quite useful.

I'm afraid the 1991 to 1996 manual could be too different. I've got the Bimota db4 repair manual and a good scanner at work. Just have to find some time to scan it.

@ Corona: well, in fact, when you've done it before and have rerouted the wiring loom to make future splitting easier, it's not a real big deal.
When you have to take the swing arm out of the engine that's worse.
Good thing a friend donated his "chariot" for Ducati engines, before that I made a engine support myself out of wood and angled steel profile.
brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the db4 to a Ducati mechanic that i met through track days. He tested the crank pickups and ignition coils etc. The pickups resistance was very low, one was lower than the other but both only aroung 1/2 the resistance they should read. He said that the original wiring in these Ducs is poor when new and where the wires go inside the case to the pickups gets cooked over time. So this confirms what you guys have said anyway. Also both ignition coils measured well out of spec as well.

He said... 'So that's bad news', and I said... ' No, that's very good news for me as i can now fix the problem instead of replacing parts that are not the problem Wink
brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much else it could have been by this stage though, as i've checked or changed most other areas that it could have been.
brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So moving forward, I'll be doing the 'split' thanks to the idea from deebee. I've ordered some new belts and will get my Ducati mechanic to do the valve clearance while i've got the engine out of the frame. And must not forget to replce those pesky crank pickups while it's out too.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you've finally got to the bottom of the issue Brian.....Crank pick-ups intermittingly failing do produce all the issues same as if theres bad fuel, blocked carbs, failing Coils, ignition packs, bad plugs/leads etc...as evidently they aint producing the spark that they should be.........Can you get the bits that you need OK over there?
brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Glad to hear that you've finally got to the bottom of the issue Brian.....Crank pick-ups intermittingly failing do produce all the issues same as if theres bad fuel, blocked carbs, failing Coils, ignition packs, bad plugs/leads etc...as evidently they aint producing the spark that they should be.........Can you get the bits that you need OK over there?

Bob, my Ducati mechanic deals with a guy in the U.S for all his parts so I' waiting to hear back from him hopefully late next week. This bloke did his apprenticeship with Ducati many years ago on the old bevels and has worked on everything Ducati. He only does work on bikes on his days off now.

I've got a set of Exactfit belts coming from the states.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This man in Italy still has the full set for sale at 150 euros.....complete with stator and drum

And possibly cheaper postage at 15 euros as the states is mega bucks for postage nowadays...

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271551508256&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:it
Garynuttall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant help you on the electrics but have had same problem with tachometer on my db5r - now sorted - jumped from 120 to 160 then down to 80 - was all over the place......... - the pick up is nowhere near the front - its on the back wheel and held inplace by a tiny grubscrew that goes through the frame and keeps the sensor in place - ideally it should be a bout 2mm away from the heads of the dic bolts which are magnetic and send the reading to the electrics - check that the screw isnt loose or gone completely - in addition the conmnectors to the dash are very sensitive and while some may work in the same unit others are not communicating - - separate it - its only one - blast with compressed air and fit back together ...........good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: