Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Just got mine!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SethG wrote:

Next problem is that it's idling between 2400 and 2600 rpm, not sure if the idle screw is set wrong or the choke is stuck on. I'll begin investigating!

They can sometimes do that....you may find that a "quick blip" on the throttle will see it settle down to 1800rpm or so...not a large blip on the throttle...but a smaller one....settles the cables and chokes down
SethG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris F wrote:
has similar issues on idling. one of the chokes was stuck but inside the housing, not the cables, which as everyone knows are cack.

Was reading you neutral issue. I don't personally find it any worst than any other bike to be honest. tiny bit tricky but then what 2 stroke engine isn't. My RS250 and NS400 are not so different. Apart from that I personally think the gearbox is really good and has a good gear change and nice n quick too. certainly much better than the honda, but then what isn't tbh....

I love the gearbox, although can't understand why the bike is so terrifyingly difficult to get going from a stop in first gear. It's already got a 43 tooth rear sprocket.

2bims, the idle will stay high even after a 10 mile ride and after blipping the throttle and such. I'll pull the bodywork and find the throttle adjust knob today.

But really it sounds like the carbs and cables need going through anyway.

Is there a manual for the carb?
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh..they are difficult to get off the line....clutch slipping and high revs and dump clutch is the norm...or just keep it moving which is what I try to practice..it seems that even only a 1 mile per hour speed is enough for pull aways to be fine..

No Bimota manual for the carb as such as they were never fitted by Bimota to Vdues.......get the mdel number of the carb off the carb though and should be plenty of stipdown picces on the net..........
trev45

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are easy carbs to work on
and work well

Trev
SethG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Yeh..they are difficult to get off the line....clutch slipping and high revs and dump clutch is the norm...or just keep it moving which is what I try to practice..it seems that even only a 1 mile per hour speed is enough for pull aways to be fine..

I seem to remember a similar problem with Ducati's that was caused by a problem in the slave cylinder. Something about it essentially giving up the moment you started releasing pressure, so it mimics you dumping the clutch even though the lever only moves a little.

But for the life of me I can't remember any details.... It's killing me I can't remember more about it.
SethG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First long ride in the books, 200 miles in the mountains today. What an experience.

I now realize that the carbs have some issues or settings that are causing the bike most of its issues. It alternates between idling at 1,500 rpm and at 2,800 rpm. I think this was worse with elevation, but I'm not sure. The bike went through phases where the fueling was so rough as to be punishing. Other phases where it was unbelievably sublime. Which is probably why everyone here keeps working on theirs, get it right one time, for a moment and you're not going to give up on it. It's amazing for sure.

I've never dealt with carbs before, but I have a friend that's a very competent 2-stroke tuner and I'm going to give it to him to clean, adjust and sync the carbs. It's obvious now that my problems are limited to simple carb maintenance.

The water temp gauge started malfunctioning, I guess that's a common problem.

Let a friend ride it for a little bit and he was over the moon with it.

I'm really confounded on the gearing issues. The bike stumbles when leaving a stop, whenever idling at 2800 rpm. When it's idling at 1,500 rpm, starting out is slightly challenging, otherwise perfect.

So the guy that had it before me had it geared 15/43 (that's -1 +4!), which leaves me relatively low in the revs in 6th on the freeway and generally at around 5000 rpm with no power to accelerate. Could be carb, either way, this thing is geared short but feels tall. In the mountains there were some 1st gear turns that transitioned into 2nd in a bad position for that large of an rpm jump.

I'm mystified because if it's geared well short, then I shouldn't need 1st at all (in the mountains), and it shouldn't feel gutless in 6th on the freeway. It's bad enough that it makes me think I should look for an aftermarket 1-2-3 gears to smooth up the gaps.
SethG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Damn those pictures came out big! Reformatted them down some

Here's more photos now:

Bike in general

Here was some frayed cable above the clutch, no idea to what, will need to tear the bike down and trace it.

Here's this bodywork crack I have to repair

The exhaust pipes underneath (note no rear lights or license plate hanger):

This unbelievably strange petcock located inline to a breather hose up to a catch tank behind the dash. I have no idea where it starts, somewhere under the left of the bike. Why would you have a line like this you'd want to close???

Some unplugged and uncapped weather pack plug, no idea what to:

I don't have the CF bellypan, I have the normal one and hence I have this connector plate between the lowers:

And here's one of the carbs:

Last edited by SethG on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
JRH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth,

Lovely looking bike, how many times did you have to fill up, for a 200 mile ride))))))

Definitely sounds like carbs, or power valve issues.

When I got my bike, I had the same issues pulling away. It was over geared for the road, but not for the track (as I found later)

But main problem was that the rear cylinder PV was sticky.
One tooth off the front, and fixed PV, and it's sorted!
SethG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRH wrote:
Seth,

Lovely looking bike, how many times did you have to fill up, for a 200 mile ride))))))

Definitely sounds like carbs, or power valve issues.

When I got my bike, I had the same issues pulling away. It was over geared for the road, but not for the track (as I found later)

But main problem was that the rear cylinder PV was sticky.
One tooth off the front, and fixed PV, and it's sorted!

Good question, I think it was getting like 80 miles to a tank. But it seemed to go back and forth quite a bit on consumption.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Seth , 200 mile trip , you certainly don't hold back. Had to build myself upto that on the vdue, both in mind (would it make it) and in body (would I make it Laughing ) , but they do provide so many smiles per mile and even your mate is hooked now , superb !!!!! They are something else aren't they ???

On the loose connectors , dodgy clocks , strange pipes , yeah we all have some of them and no 2 bikes are really the same, all depends what was available when they were finally built.
Although must admit never heard of the tap and the catch tank you describe.
Not that is really makes any difference but I think your bike is probably a trofeo as all EF's have the carbon lower belly pan and the missing rear light/plate holder might be down to the fact it was not built originally with the jolly's but had the corsa pipes. Might also explain a few running issues as think the map and jets between the corsa and the jolly's pipes are different. If you strip the carbs I have the jet sizes somewhere for my EF, but then think other EF owners have said they have different ones to mine also, so really is a lottery what you get.
bimotanige

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seth
Mine had the non cf belly pan which decided to break and come apart while I was riding it as the plastic is super brittle. Suggest a bit of fibre glassing to join the haves together until you splash out on a cf one.
JRH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the number plate, I replaced mine with a Rizoma tail tidy, it fits perfectly with no drilling. Will dig out some photos.
Chris F

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRH wrote:
On the number plate, I replaced mine with a Rizoma tail tidy, it fits perfectly with no drilling. Will dig out some photos.

That would be good. I have a sawn up original cf part at the moment. of course I have a new original un-hacked one as well spare!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: