Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB3 Oil Cooler - removal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: DB3 Oil Cooler - removal? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm thinking of removing the oil cooler from my bike.

1) how much hotter will it run (normal use, not track)? I know not all the 900 Ducatis run an oil cooler

2) how do I blank it off? Are they simple bolts, or do I have to do something to let the oil flow?

thanks

Robin
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

????

A strange one I've not heard of before........Not so familiar with the DB3 but if it runs the same set up as a DB4 then the oil lines also are connected to the carb float bowls to stop the carbs from icing up.....and on the Db4 theres a flick switch on the oil lines for summer or winter use .....The oil is pumped via an oil pump around the oil lines and through the cooler....so you would have to continue the loop in and out to keep the flow...as the in line runs through a nylon sludge filter also on the right hand side of the crank.........

My addage is always...if it aint broke dont fix it........rear cylinders always run hotter than the front due to restricted air flow , and they ahve oil feed lines on the heads also...so removing the cooler is just going to make it run hotter.......

If you currently have problems with it running then I would look to resolve those issues before removing the oil cooler......
robin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building a special, just don't want the clutter. Oil lines go nowhere near the carbs. Anyone else?
SpikeC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it a fine idea as long as you do not intend to ride the bike.
1965 Triumph T100SC
ct981

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: oil cooler Reply with quote

Hi

I recently removed the silly batteries on my mantra and changed over to a single lithium for better starting and massive space saving as battery is now under the seat. Should have done that mod years a go.
I made some small brackets so the cooler was still bolted to the head and is a far cleaner look.

Running without the cooler in town I wouldn't have thought was a good idea as oil capacity will be reduced.
But hey if that's the look you want go for it.
Would have thought any shop selling oil fittings should help with the plugs

ct981
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: