Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Wheel weights
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Wheel weights Reply with quote

Weighed a few different makes of wheels recently and thought someone may be interested in the results so far.
All same size wheels, diameter and rim width, and all without disc's but with bearings etc and sprocket on the rear.

Antera ...................................Front 6kg Rear 8.95kg
BST carbon.............................Front 2.95kg Rear 5 kg
Dymag 7 spoke forged alloy.....Front 3.45kg rear 5.9kg
Dymag carbon........................Front 2.75kg rear 4.75kg.

Obviously I have bought these for scientific reasons !! Very Happy
brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info Stu... thanks
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thing for me was the fact that the carbon dymags were lighter than BST's but not surprising as BST's have large alloy hubs.
Matty82

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I cannot believe the difference. Surely to save 7/8kg bimota should have fitted these as standard. They fitted fully self supporting CF seat unit after all, that must have cost them an not saved the 7/8kg.
Anyhow, as I have never bought a set, which is the best quality an secondly value for money.
Cheers Vort, Good research
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say best value would be forged aluminium or magnesium. They're cheaper to buy new and will give a good reduction in weight
SethG

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Interesting thing for me was the fact that the carbon dymags were lighter than BST's but not surprising as BST's have large alloy hubs.

I have a ton of experience with the BST's, including evaluating them head to head with OZ Mag racing wheels.

Here's what happens, when you put a weight on a string and spin it around your hand, the longer the string, the heavier that weight effectively is.

BST's concentrate all of their weight in the hub, head to head with mag wheels it's not even close, even when the mags are slightly lighter. The mag wheel has a relatively uniform weight distribution.

The other huge advantage is that mag wheels bend frequently when you hit tough road surfaces. Race bikes bend them usually across curbs. BST's won't bend at all, they still can fail of course, any wheel can, but they maintain their shape.

Most importantly, you can mail your BST wheels back to the factory for rim replacement, which they do quickly and effectively at a reasonable price.

I stopped using Mag wheels in favor of the BST's, but if I were set on using a Mag wheel again (or even aluminum), I would use the MFR's:

http://www.mfrwheels.com

MFR is Marchesini, after he sold his business to Brembo, his non-compete eventually expired and he started MFR. The wheels are the highest quality.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Wheel weights Reply with quote

I've heard people say that the BSTs can make a bike feel a bit "flighty". I think that once you'd re-calibrated, they would transform a relatively light bike like the V-due. As far as why didn't Bimota fit light wheels as standard, I think the answer is that some corners had to be cut if the selling price on such small volume production was going to be faintly tolerable. The BSTs are beautifully made and worth the premium over the cost of other light-weight wheels. They are extremely tough and can be effectively repaired, assuming they're not seriously smashed up. When they're replacing Anteras, BSTs make a big bike feel like a middle weight, so I would think they would turn a V-due into a thing of scalpel-like precision.

Go on - you know you want to!
Matty82

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers people, looks like I'm 2.5k lighter both metaphorically an physically ha
mm500

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the MFR wheels, but they don't make them for the Vdue
vort28

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm500 wrote:
I really like the MFR wheels, but they don't make them for the Vdue

That is the problem I found with a few dealers . Think I contacted HPS over BST's and they said they had bodged together fitment for a few vdue's but were not doing it anymore as BST did not approve of it . Having dealt with Dymag before I knew they listed most Bimota fitments so went for them on mine.
When I changed the Antera's off the vdue for the first few miles I was getting the apex completely wrong, kept turning to early. Amazing what a change in wheel can do.
I have a bit of experiance with carbon wheels on various bikes , and yes they can feel flighty , but depends on what you like.
mm500

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2015 Prices:

Bimota Vdue

Dymag alu: £1375 + tax/shipping (Dymag direct)
Dymag carbon: £1700 + tax/shipping ( Dymag direct )
BST: EUR 2550 + tax inc shipping ( BST Direct )
MFR: don't produce weels for the VDue ( confirmed on email from the factory)
Matty82

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've ordered the new BST wheels for my V Due Smile literally cannot wait. I'm interested if anybody recommends the 5 over the 5.5 rear wheel as they offer it? Also what are people's views on different tyres. I only ride in the dry so, I'd like something quite slick but both light an grippy are a must.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supercorsas
Bud977

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I like the Supercorsas. I use them on my race VFR400 in the SC1 and SC2 compounds. They have a nice profile, wear very well and last a long time. I've got a couple of seasons out of a set including a couple of One Hour races and track days. They still look and feel fine.

I'd get the street compound for road riding as they are made to work at lower temperatures.
Matty82

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know the sizes for the c due rear spindle? I've measured an got a 20mm spindle but was wondering did they do a larger one for strength or a smaller lighter one???
Ta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: