Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB9 Exhaust Help - PLEASE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neomaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: DB9 Exhaust Help - PLEASE Reply with quote

Morning / Afternoon / Evening (depending on when you rad this).

New to the forum. Have been fortunate to get my hands on my first Bimota, being a DB9. Bike is completely stock, with only mod done being the removal of the DB killers.

I am coming off a Ducati Streetfighter 1098 with full termi system, and to be hnest, I am really disappointed in the sound of the Bimota. I am looking for assistance in ways to increase both the volume and the depth of sound from the original exhaust.

With the DB killers removed, I suspect my only option is to remove the CAT converters? How is this possible, and any other ideas to better the sound?
Tricolour

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neo,

Yes, I agree that the DB killer doesn't make a big difference to the sound.

My 1098, 851 kit and 916SP's all sounded more like Ducatis - especially the 851 with the reverse cone race pipes.

I think this is just a feature of the testrastretta valve timing and the cats.

Bimota do make a titanium exhaust for this model - not sure if this changes the base sound or not.

Removing the cats would be the way to go and I don't think this would be difficult to do.

Why not give Chris a call at Urban Moto and ask him 'off the record' how easy this is?

Then ring me. Smile
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Exhaust Reply with quote

Hello"..I bought a Db9 in Feb and started changing things....ho hum!
Having a batch of Ducati's 2 and 4 valverrs......all have had different exhausts....none sound like the Db9.
I took the option of buying the race arrow unit from BIMOTA and getting a re flash with their software guy a fitted a K and N filter.
Riding the bike from Rimini was awesome...totally awesome .....the sound and the increased performance is unlike any Ducati I have experienced ...but then I am more used to 888 and 955 engines.....none of their latest stuff.
My mate ...following behind wound the windows down at every tunnel and marvelled at the light show out of the exhaust....flames!

The cats simply slide out of each tube but I guess a remap may be needed.
The end can is about as straight through as you can get....so kick the cats and map the future....or buy the Ti full race system.....not cheap...but the monies buys smiles!

Apparently there is a guy in OZ with one fitted to his Db7 or 8...someone here will know.

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neomaster,

I have just got the 'old' DB9 exhaust out of box and measured the down pipes.
They are almost exactly the same as my 888/955 Gibson made custom race system...so there should be no issues on pipe dia.
Given that the street fighter you had/have has the 11degree heads and you liked the sound of that....I would hazard a guess that the cat fitted to the exhaust is the issue.
One other thought....the Bimota exhausts we get in the UK are Euro 3 compliant.......I have no knowledge of the sound for OZ or anywhere else!
But if you get the same as us here in the UK ......the cat slides out....use plastic gloves and wrap the cat in cling film ....you cannot get anything on it or wise it is ruined.

Just thought I would mention that just in case you get a completely different system type down under....so to speak.
Likewise as a bike is an emotive thing ....the feel and the sound make a large part of the overall package.."...

BTW....I listened to the DB11 supercharged at the factory and nearly swapped my bike there and then........the sound is almost biblical.

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: