Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Tesi sprocket and chain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickmain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Tesi sprocket and chain Reply with quote

Hello, new to the forum, and new to the Bimota world, but have been a collector for about 25 years. I've had over 300 bikes at one time, all 2strokes. I picked up a Vdue and 2008 Tesi 3D this year and love them both. I'm learning about these and thought someone here might be able to tell me what size sprocket/chain is on the Tesi 3d? especially the rear one. I'm wanting to change it but don't know what to cross reference it to. Is it a ducati type?
thanks for your help!
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob...and welcome to the Forum....you've cerntainly chosen the two Zaniest Bimotas created by the company......

Wheels have changed almost year by year on the Tesi.....but Ducati would be a good first attempt...they dont fot oversize chains on these bikes...as the engine is the 1078cc 2 valve single cam from Ducati multistrada/streetfighter...max size 520/525....it should be written on the links somewhere....be sure to count the links for length...Front sprocket is a standard Ducati.

The rear swingarm set-up is the same as Bimota DB5 and DB6...so you could contact Bob of Bimota Spirit who used to deal and trade with those bikes and the Tesi...and I'm sure he could help you out

http://www.bimotaspirit.com/info.html
rickmain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's the zany in them that I like. I've actually got my vdue running pretty darn good. I'm in the market for some carbon wheels for it. will be going quite a bit bigger on the sprocket for the vdue also as it's geared to the moon.
The Tesi I have has the gold Marvic wheels. I had a good idea the front sprocket was standard duc, but thanks for the confirmation.
I'll try with the link you sent, I appreciate any help and input for sure!
Rick
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 two strokes! Shocked Cool My kinda guy. There'd be a story or 10 from that lot.
rickmain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, lost that entire collection during a divorce about 12 years ago. My new collection is half 2strokes and the other half european bikes. The Vdue bridges the gap between them. I also have a two wheel drive Christini two stroke.
I had bought a Benelli Tornado LE from a guy out in Denver a little while back, and now he's been trying to sell a Bimota SBK SantaMonica on there for like 24,500. They seem to be pretty high build quality and has the cool TL1000 in it. Any comments on that bike?
Still can't find that darn Tesi sprocket
Rick
brian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick and welcome to the forum. I know everyone is is thinking it so i'll say it... we need pics my friend Laughing

The Santamonica was the pinincle of sb8 models. Lots of carbon and lots of beautiful billet ally. There's a couple Santamonica owners on here.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick
drive chain is 525 size if it's running a standard Ducati front sprocket. number of teeth should be stamped on rear sprocket. Can't you remove the exisiting rear sprocket and get one manufactured to the size you want?
B&C Express here in the UK will make any size sprocket to pattern you request, but I guess that would be expensive for you to ship it to the UK and back. They made my oversize DB3 Mantra sprockets for me.
Don't Sunstar in the USA offer a similar service?
rickmain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. There is no number stamped on the chain or the sprocket as is usually the case. I could of course take the sprocket off and pattern it and have someone make something I suppose, but it wouldn't solve the reason i'm wanting to replace it, I'm wanting something better looking like a sidewinder or vortex. something special that the bike deserves. The sprocket and chain on it are ok and usable as it only have about 2k miles on it. I'm sure that the sprocket cross references to some other model, likely a Ducati as the front obviously is, but I've not found anyone that actually knows and there is nothing on the web I can find, and no US dealer lists this bike as it's pretty rare.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated previously....try ringing Bob of Bimota spirit....as he was the only dealer that was selling Tesi 3D's in the US....although you dont want stock items he may at least know where to get alternatives....the Early Tesi3D and DB5 and DB6 with the same swingarm used wheels that were fitted to Cagiva Raptor 1000....so presumably the same cush drive and sprocket?? Oh...dont assume that the front is a Ducati item...although a Ducati sprocket will fit on it may not have the correct offset for chain alignment....the DB2/3/4/ models all had Bimota specials fitted to the front with a recessed offset for correct chain alignment....normal sprockets would fit...but the chain would be out of alignment....
hnracing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Ducati 1000/1100 engine. I can recommend to go with 15 at the front to save the swingarm.
And 41 at the rear.
rickmain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks. 15 in the front, which is a standard ducati 1000/1100 sprocket. The rear stock is 39, so yes, a 41 would work great, however, the sprocket mounting is not the same. Most Ducati 1000/1100 bikes, like the Multistrada and even the Monsters, have single sided swingarms in the rear, wheras the Tesi is a dual sided trellis swingarm, so the mounting is way different.
The rear wheel is a Marvic, so I may have to just shop around based on that clue alone.
rickmain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Bob at Bimota spirit has been very helpful for sure. He does have an oem sprocket in stock, but doesn't know any cross reference to another brand beyond that a Marvic sprocket will fit on the Marvic wheel, so that's the route I will take. Will keep this forum posted if I ever find out what it is, and get some pics up.
hnracing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monster 1000 and 1000SS also have dual sided swingarm.
I have used Renthal sprocket for Marchesini Mag wheels that also use a different type of sprocket adapters.
Renthal also do one-off sprockets.
/Henrik
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
I have checked the rear sprocket on my tesi, which has marvics.
Mine is stamped with the bimota logo, it is also stamped AFAM RLD043-40
Hope that is of some use.
rickmain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! thanks for the help. Someone may have changed my sprocket in the past.
what year monsters 1000's had dual sided? I wonder if this being a Marvic wheel it would be a different sprocket?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: