Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Mantra using 600 SS headers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Mantra using 600 SS headers? Reply with quote

Hi

I am getting there with my Mantra conversion - going for a flat track look. I have junked all the bodywork, and have an alloy tank being made for it. Next I want a single-sided exhaust, and I wondered if the 600 SS headers (circa 1996) would fit? I know it's a 900 engine, but how different are they?

Will post some pictures when it's near completion.

thanks in advance

Robin
oily

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't wait till it's near compleation Shocked
We want pictures now Laughing
robin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Bimota Flat-tracker Reply with quote

Getting the bike back on Monday - will put some pictures up then.
robin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Mantra Tank Pictures Reply with quote

Here are some pics (if I can work out how to load them).

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=7509513550

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=31A65A6942

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=1X556X8A89

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=39830A4976

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/uploadimagedisplay.php?imageid=124529AA
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks really neat - stars & stripes paintjob & big square number boards to follow? Smile
oily

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like where that's leading Wink
robin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: First Ride Reply with quote

Hi

Got the bike close enough to ride (private road, obviously!). I weighed it before fueling, and it weighs 150kg! Supermoto weight, middleweight power. It's great - light, good turning circle, comfortable, so great for town, but with a 19 litre tank, it has range too! Engine is quite soft, so easier to use than the Aprilia V-twins I'm used to. Ordered silencers (carbon stubbies), and need to sort out indicators, then it's off for an MOT. Not decided on colours yet. Annoyingly, I managed to drop the tank and put 2 small dents in it - Doh!

On advice of Carl I fitted a new Nitron shock - feels supple, and the position makes it a doddle to adjust.

Has anyone got a wiring diagram, or a link to one?

Carl says the forks are YB9, but with no preload adjustment. Anyone know about retro-fitting the adjustment? By the way, there is adjustment top and bottom, so presumably compression and rebound. Forks are original, stamped with the chassis number, as are several other parts.

Finally, I don't know how old the belts are - is it an expensive/difficult job to change them?

Some more pictures

robin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: new exhausts Reply with quote

I tried carbon stubbies - light but too noisy...

so I got some Ducati Sport Classic exhausts - much more civilised

robin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: try again Reply with quote

Doh!

oily

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really liking this Laughing
Sorry can't help with the ducati engine servicing advice, just heard that you need the belts changing about every 100 miles at £stupid Laughing
that was enough to keep me away.
Why are you not using the original cans?
See you've used an acewell clock too, might be the angle of the photo but it looks stuck up in the breeze a bit.
As for colour, anything is better than the original yellow/mauve combination
Making a nice job this.
It's the best looking Mantra I've ever seen Laughing
kb11110cc

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin

Looking good

On the exhaust theme, if you wanted to keep the original silencer perhaps for the look, but want less restriction and perhaps a little more noise, NRP can gut them for you and they offer carbon, titainium or alloy covers
Cost i understand is about £220

There work is fantastic and thet made me a full system for my KB1 which is just Awesome.

Rolling Eyes
Corona

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: cam belts Reply with quote

Belt changes...... did mine on my db4ie winter just gone and it isn't an easy task with the motor in the frame as getting to the rear cylinder cam and cover is a swine. You can drop the motor forward leaving it to swing on the rear engine bolt leaving the swing arm bolt in situ. Disconnect all cables electrical and otherwise from the motor (should be easier as the mantra uses carbs) or you can drop the engine and put it on the bench which is what I shall do when mine need changing again. Shocked After much tea and several roll ups all is well, tensioning the belts I used a spring balance scales thingie as used by fishermen and a bent spoon handle with a hole in it for the hook on the weigh scales/spring balance. If your not happy doing the job yourself pop the motor into a Ducati shop, tell em its a 900ss (mention Bimota and they will charge you twat tax at 3000%) Most of the motor work is covered in the Haynes manual for a 900ss
oily

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next installment must be due by now Laughing
robin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Mantra Latest Reply with quote

Hi

I got a test ride in today with the black Sport Classic exhausts. Much quieter, which is good. One of the carbs floods after a while - maybe a holed float? Will have to take it apart (again!) to check.

Gearing seems very tall, or maybe I'm not riding it very fast. Suspension is a bit choppy - will take it to be set up soon. Plenty of induction roar from the foam filters. Front brake grabs a bit, probably the master cylinder has dirt or water in it.

I think I'll run it as is for the summer, then decide on a paint job this winter. The frame needs plenty of Brasso to revive the shine - wheels too.

I didn't use the original exhausts because I think they are ugly, and also I wanted to keep the parts good to revert to a Mantra if needs be - not sure I'll ever want to, but who knows, that could be the look in 5 years time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: