Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New Member - First Question - DB2 Steering Damper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mibota

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: New Member - First Question - DB2 Steering Damper Reply with quote

Hello to all you discerning top draw motorcyclists Very Happy , i have been a lurker here for some time and have a DB2; at present it is not fitted with a steering damper - Q. Is it likely to be the Tank Slapper from Hell the minute i ride it without said damper, or is it a superfluous item that i can leave off in safety?? the bike has a few other issues to sort before i can ride it and as i am not a test pilot i would be grateful for any advice received.
I suspect from the steering geometry that the damper is a 'must have' if so, could anyone tell me what make / model is standard Bimota for the DB2 and a supplier, i would also need the mounting brackets - any suggestions on a source please? thanks, J
oily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Wink
Depends how you ride as to weather you even need a steering damper.
My SB6R hasn't got one any longer, I ride it quite hard in the twisty bits and I'm still here.
As long as you ride it sensibly, you might save money by not having one Wink
GeeKay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my DB2 has the fork leg mounting bracket for a damper to attach to, but no damper.
ridden "enthusiastically" it can get a bit flighty but so far I've just ridden through it - shades of my wayward TL1000S - but I am on the lookout for a damper! Very Happy
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would spend the money on reworking and setting up your suspension before using a damper to mask any issues you may have. Only way forward!
mibota

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and the welcome; does any DB2 owner reading this have a damper fitted? if not i will leave it off. Not so sure i like the idea of it being a bit 'flighty', i suffered a tank slapper on a race bike once (broken damper mount) and i am not in a hurry to repeat the experience.
In the bikes 'history' the suspension has been 're-worked' & 'set-up' by MAXTON; as i recall if i mentioned that in the paddock i would have heard a lot of sniggers! however i will assume it was set up reasonably well and the damper was junked as a result - lets hope so!!
Any more thoughts please let me know. Cheers J
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the bike was set up prior to you is not an advantage... unless you know the previous owners weight, road type, track setp and his rider style? Was he a late braker or quick on the gas prior to turn in, mid corner or just a point and squirt merchant. Before anything else make sure you have some sag front and back. Take it for a spin on a set route of different types of bends and tarmac conditions and let me know how it felt? Wink
mibota

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pompey, i do have some experience in setting up bikes but am no longer as serious or focussed, however as you realise it doesn't take much to induce a tank slapper focussed or not which is my main concern.
I will let you know how i get on. Does any one know what make the OE damper was? Ohlin, Paoli? Thanks again. J
kb11110cc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

If you still want a steering damper for your DB2 then there is one for sale in the USA

here is the link number on ebay

KB1
mibota

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the advice and the lead on the USA ebay damper. I rode the bike on Sunday around my local A & B roads which have examples of every combination of bend / hill / straight you can imagine and i have to say it behaved impecably, didn't shake it's head once even though i got the front wheel very light / airborne over a couple of crests; although i was scrubbing in a pair of tyres and being relatively careful i am confident enough in the bike to forget the steering damper issue.
Should these DB2 Paoli forks have any form of adjustment on them other than changing the weight of the oil or replacing the springs ie. adjustable tops to the forks for damping?? thanks J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: