Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5R gearing question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: DB5R gearing question Reply with quote

Last year I was bombing along on a remote 2 lane in central Oregon (Backoven road). I saw 141 mph at one point, and several 136s at several times. At 136 my bike was turning around 7.5k rpm. what I was wondering is, if I added a tooth to the rear sprocket, could I gain more speed by letting the engine rev closer to the red line.
Now, of course this is all hypothetical, as I would never exceed the posted speed limit on any public roadway, but this is just a question of theoretical interest.....
1965 Triumph T100SC
CNC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think around 140 - 145 is realistic speed and with changed gearing you won't get a lot... DB5 gearing is already "short-ish"... Anyway, if you'll try, I'm quite interested what the results will be Embarassed
Tricolour

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DB5R is rated at 98Hp (71.5 KW) at 7500 rpm and 105 Nm of torque at 5500 rpm. Nice torque figure but low kW's.

Looks like you can't get past your max kW output at 7500 rpm. Adding another tooth to the rear might free up a few revs or taking a tooth off might give you a few more MPH at that rpm?

Adding one tooth to the rear means you need another 200rpm to get back up to your original maximum speed and another 200rpm to increase your speed by 3.5mph. You are now at 7900rpm - I don't think you could do this.

Why not visit Gearcommander and factor in some changes.
Use Ducati 1100 Monster gearing as a base and change the figures to your gearing if the final drive gearing is too far out.

I have added my DB9 - you could add your DB5R.

Eddie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: