Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB7 Down Under

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muzza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: YB7 Down Under Reply with quote

On Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BIMOTA-YB7_W0QQitemZ230464062414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycles?hash=item35a8ba83ce
steelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: I bought it! Reply with quote

I just bought it _ I paid $8000 Aus which is probably way too much! I'm having to jump hoops to get it registered but am nearly there.
Difficult to get info on however...
stepheng

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: YB 7 400 cc Reply with quote

Hi

there is a YB 8 in your neck of woods. See 'Scribd' website and search for YB 8 ... he has listed the parts and workshop manual which should be useful since the concept is basically the same. Not that I have met him but another YB 8 owner in Oz suggests that he had the same hoop exercise and ended up getting the rego as a YB 11 probably because they were included in the computer systems of NSW transport. I suspect you may be able to chase him down and hope that he might guide you through the bureaucracy.

Your motor is also yamaha only it catered for Japanese registration requirements which favoured up to 400 cc. There was/is a category of racing there apparently so if you go looking for Ducati F3 you will find a contemporary. One of them (at least one) has found its way from Japan and was sold to Perth but obviously it is not in any way similar.

Yamaha had a deal with Bimota whereby the engines were sent to Rimini and then complete bikes were sent back to Japan for sale through selected Yamaha dealers in a manner similar to HSV and Holden in Australian terms. There may have been homolgation issues for F3 racing but I thought I had seen a suggestion that this needed 500 units and there was just over 300 YB7s made and some of them can be found in Europe and certainly UK.

Whilst a lot of the YB range apparently made their way to Japan especially the earlier models prior to YB 10 and 11, the model runs were limited. There is a register run by Manuel with the swiss web site and he might have contacts/ideas. Being a Yamaha it should be relatively straight forward to sort with the only issue probably being the lack of use since it was built which is typical of Jap imports.

stay upright

Stephen
steelia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve,

The bike is rego'd now- patience and correct paperwork always pays off in the end!
stepheng

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, did the paperwork go beyond the import clearance? The YB8 in Perth apparently needed engineering clearance which I understand could involve dray. Given that the frame is basically same as YB 11 I had assumed this was how the Sydney YB8 had been engineered and registered as a quasi YB11. Any hints would be useful. Cheers Stephen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: