Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

No more DB5s??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: No more DB5s?? Reply with quote

I hear from Bob T BimotaSpirit that the DB5 series is no longer in production, prolly because of no more 1100ds motors.
So does this mean that my bike is now "vintage"? And that the new Bimota parts guys will be stocking for them?
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put all your damaged parts back on ...It would certainly look vintage.... Laughing

What it does mean is that parts will become harder to find....but maybe BimotaClassicParts will take over??

The frame and swingarm are still being made as these are being used in the DB10 still...a couple of changes with tabs for rear hugger....but still some old ones left on where DB5/6 parts would bolt to....

Time to start storing parts???
brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The db5 must be the longest running Bimota model?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
spidermaan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
The db5 must be the longest running Bimota model?

I think so.

Anyway If Bimota change use the engine on DB5 (using 1100evo as like on DB100 and DBX) they need to change the name, for homologation rules. See what happen with DB7 and DB8 and DB11 (ok, the last is little different from other parts too).

The DB6 isn't still in production, it is only question of time for the last DB5 built
JRH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the new UK importer Amore Moto got hold of the last DB5R out of the factory.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh............No they didnt.........they didnt get hold of one at all........
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRH wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the new UK importer Amore Moto got hold of the last DB5R out of the factory.

2bims wrote:
Eh............No they didnt.........they didnt get hold of one at all........

I think what 2bims is trying to say is the bike that Amore has IS NOT a DB5R.
It has no carbon bodywork , no light wheels , and no upgraded suspension.
I am open to correction but the MK1 5R had Ohlins/gold Oz and carbon body , the later MK2 one's have the later DB8 black Oz wheels and red marzzochi forks and carbon body. This is just a standard DB5 with standard suspension and standard fibre glass body , painted to look like a 5R.
I believe this has been pointed out to Amore , but they are choosing to ignore it.

Oh and to set the record straight. The last three zero mile DB5R's have been bought from Italy and will soon be on their way to UK , but not to Amore Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh...pretty much sums it up...>The "R" version also normally comes with a slipper clutch, vented Carbon Bimota clutch cover, Bimotas own carbon Belt covers , Carbon Air box, Radial Brembo Masters, with accossatto bespoke race levers with Bimota laser etched into the faces....Carbon Front mudguard...oh and a pair of Titanium Zard open race cans as well as a set of standard steel cans...oh and carbon fibre rear number plate holder....so just around 4-5,000 GBP's worth of extras over a standard DB5 painted to look like a DB5R.......... Laughing
spidermaan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, do a precision.
The last DB5 have front suspension by Marzocchi TiN version, the base of front fork (I don't know the english name) isn't billet, Brembo black wheels and extremetech for rear suspension, no carbon pieces, radial brake and clutch pump
the last DB5R have front suspension by Marzocchi DLC version as like DB8 (DLC means diamond like carbon it is more slideing than Tin), the base of front fork is billet, OZ black forged wheels and extremetech (or Ohlins I don't remember) for rear suspension, some carbon pieces, only one seat, the rear frame is in alu (lower weight) and not steel as like base version, radial brake and clutch pump
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...I'd go along with that spiderman...had forgotten about the alloy rear subframe also....bit Like Ducatis...the specials had alloy rear subframes also instead of CrMo....and then companies started making them as add-ons in alloy so you could copy....
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we agree then and maybe splitting hairs but think the only OFFICIAL Bimota dealer ( as they stress) should actually be truthful in their adverts.

Mk1 shall we call it

Mk2 and last .

And Amores DB5 (S) / (R)

Wrong forks (DB5S) , cast wheels (DB5S), BLACK bodywork NOT carbon Shocked (DB5S) , but it does have the better Extreme tech rear shock Rolling Eyes so must be a 5R Laughing

Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the fact that the black "R" is not on the bodywork shows its not an "R"....and could be that Bimota passed it to Amore as an R without them realising????

Either way...caveat Emptor...which I think is quite apt being a bike from Italy...all still nice looking bikes...but I'd still stick to sourcing direct from mainland Europe...espec with the way the Euro is........... Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed , no R on fairing but then not I that is stating its an R.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: