Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 Fork Seals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't the preload "click" on to the pin in the middle of the adjuster acting on the cartridge ? The blue bolt / screw winds up or down acting on the spacer and spring ?

Possibly
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I would have thought. In this disassembled photo, doesn't the fork cap wind up and down the blue preload adjuster thread?

Or do what look like pins in the bottom of the fork cap lock them permanently together?
Planter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the pins provide the 10mm of preload adjustment by directly acting on a collar sitting on top of the spring. Turning the blue, fork cap adjustment nut alters the amount of preload put on the spring by winding up and down the blue preload adjuster thread.

In the set up in this photo this direct interface between the preload pins and collar seems to be missing as there is the large preload spacer installed that puts a significant air gap between the spring collar and the preload adjuster pins. Also, the nut above the spring collar should be below the spring collar in a standard set up. I can only summarise that the in a previous life these forks were set up for specific use that did not require preload adjustment, and that a shorter spring was installed.

I guess the compression (or is it rebound - I always mix them up) control is using a screw in the middle of the preload unit acting by direct action on the valve in the middle of the cartridge. However, how this process works is not clear even with the parts stripped down.
Bud977

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can see how it works now. It look pretty normal apart from the pins hanging down.

The preload spacer above the spring is pretty thick but that's OK. The spring and spacer should together just barely fit below the C shaped clip with just a slight amount of spring compression.

Unless I'm missing something, the preload adjuster will work as normal. The whole blue mechanism including the rod lock nuts, C clip and spacer will all move down when you wind the adjuster in, thereby increasing your preload.
bikesjohn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that when I needed to fit replacement seals, Kawasaki zx9 (long life) fitted perfectly and are still working after a few thousand miles.
Planter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fitted. The Kwak ZX9R E2P seals and Honda XR650R bushes seem to do the job. Haven't ridden the bike yet but the forks went back together fine.
SiBag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info on the seals.
Will come in handy when I get round to doing the preload mod.

If its got Ti#s or Wheels its gona give you trouble
Planter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been riding the bike for a few months now. All good - front forks are sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: