Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R Custom USA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carbonbimota

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: SB8R Custom USA Reply with quote

After 15 years of modification, I can proudly share my 2000 SB8R in its completed form.

I sourced parts throughout the years and took off stock parts as they came available. I had an early on failure with a spare tank that I had carbon wrapped over the stock nylon tank. I learned the hard way that these tanks expand and contract significantly with heat. I left the bike in the summer sun for just a short time and the carbon weave of the wrap literally exploded at the seams. Very disheartening! I remedied the problem by sourcing an SB8K carbon tank and airbox and remapped the fuel system with a PowerCommander V to compensate for the revised air induction. The snorkels are purely cosmetic now, but the angular lines of the SB8K tank fit the bike better in my opinion. I was never happy with the plastic panels on the mostly carbon R and RS bikes so I remedied years ago with full carbon. I was also able to source an early production unpainted tail section and swapped that out.

Moto Corse, Dymag, Rizoma, and factory SB8RS parts swapped out as needed for the final carbon/gold anodized look throughout.

Because I may still adjust the 'paint' scheme, I had decals shown in these photos cut so I could see how they look. I'm happy with the top racing stripes, so I'll probably have those actually painted, then have the rest of the carbon clear coated. Otherwise, no further mods. I can move on to another project!

I have the original tail section and tank that I removed and stored when the bike had 600 miles on it. I also have a spare primered tank, and a set of unpainted side/belly panels if anyone is interested in purchase.

Hursty

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum carbonbimota

That's a lot shiny carbon you've got there Wink
Now how does it ride Question
Weed

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always good to see the results of someones' hard toil over the years. Congratulations on a great job
brian

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks fantastic mate. I love the look. Obviousy a lot of hard work has gone into the bike.

Nice work on posting the pics too Very Happy
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, that must have taken a while.

You could move the fuel filler anticlockwise 1 bolt spacing and the filler cap would line up with the stripe
carbonbimota

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!

Hursty: Rides like a Carbon Dream! (No pun intended). 15 years and almost 2000 miles. Seat time has been regulated to my other bikes over the years.

Weed: Has been a fun project, thanks. Unfortunately, with Bimota's, it's not necessarily the toil involved, it's the money involved. Still worth all of it!

Brian: Cheers! And thanks for the assistance with the photo upload!

Evilchicken0: Good call on the cap. The threads on these can also effect the orientation of the line, just a matter of where you start the turn. I should have waited to take photos after aligning the cap properly, but was rushed by our second thunderstorm of the day. Had just gotten back from a 20 mile ride, fueled it up, parked it in the driveway and the clouds started to roll in again. Never dull weather in Colorado!
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! As long as the air intake tubes are just cosmetic, they would make good glove boxes!
1965 Triumph T100SC
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: SB8R Reply with quote

That looks very nice indeed. I particularly like the way that you have highlighted the carbon, which breaks it up, but retains the bare carbon, which deserves attention as an artisan-produced product.

As regards the plastic tank, my guess is that the problem is the plastic started to absorb the water out of the ethanol in petrol, rather than the heat causing expansion. The answer is to coat the inside of the tank with a sealant to prevent absorption of the water.

How have you found the carbon tank? Purportedly, they are difficult to get to seal perfectly.
carbonbimota

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeC: Indeed! The added storage space could come in handy for a few spares! Ha!

Jonny: Thanks! As Bimota was poised to compete in Superbike with the SB8R, it is believed that they used quickly replaceable plastic side and lower fairings for quick removal, and the nylon tank could take significant abuse in crash situations also conforming to race rules. Almost 2 inch thick nylon could be ground down in a slide without compromising the fuel inside. The nylon definitely expanded with the heat of the sun.

As a safequard, I had the interior of the SB8K carbon tank sealed before installing the fuel pump and mounting back on the frame. Tank is performing flawlessly. Good call on the sealant though. A wise decision for any tank material other than good old metal/aluminum. Cheers!
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go

yb11reno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Sb8r spares Reply with quote

I'm interested in the unpainted side and belly fairings. Please pm me. I tried emailing you. Message is still sitting in my outgoing box for some reason

Jack
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a message in the outbox...its simply means the receiver hasnt logged on to read it yet...anything in sentbox means they have....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: