Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5 starting problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urpo L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: DB5 starting problem Reply with quote

Every now and then DB5 1100 EVO refuses to start. It turns well but is completely dead. No matter hot or cold.
Then suddenly it starts again like nothing strange happened. This happens randomly and never when service person sees it.
No warning lights are burning.
Ignition pick up and sidestand switch have been changed to make sure.
Fuses and relays have been checked. Handlebar switches have been checked.
What could be the cause?
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets start with the simple things....

Where is the choke on your bike? On the indicator switch side or a small throttle advance button on the throttle side?
Is the battery good and strong? Even a slightly flat battery would stop it starting.
Do you always pull the clutch in when starting the bike to alleviate pressure on starting?
Do you ever touch/turn the throttle when trying to start it? The fuel injection system kicks in and switches off the fuel supply to stop the bike from flooding....The handbooks tell you not to touch the throttle when starting the bike...until it is actually running.

If the bike has been attempted to be started many times with a flat battery it can ruin the sprag clutch which would cause problems in starting also....Whats the mileage on the bike? Valve clearances are every 6000miles/9000kms on these engines...
Urpo L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no user manouverable choke in this model.
Battery is fine. There is a switch in the clutch lever so the starter does not
turn i the clutch is not pulled in. Throttle is not turned when starting.
Mileage is about 15000km, but valves have been checked recently.
The engine starts happily and immediately when it does so and
it mostly does.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the manual for the bike? Do you have the domino throttle? If there is no choke lever on the left side....there should be a small button on the front face of the throttle assembly away from the rider.....you push this button in and it acts as a throttle advance for starting when the bike is closed, push the throttle forwards and it shuts itself off...Please believe me....it will be there but you havent known it was
Urpo L

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken that throttle to pieces to get in touch with the killer switch for inspection.
In that phase I think I had noticed an choke switch if there was one.
Anyway, I check that next time I go to my Bike Club carage.
Urpo L

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike has a Domino throttle without any choke lever or button.

About the electricities:
Last autumn I noticed that the headlights are working randomly.
The cause was a faulty light relay. I changed it and to be sure also
the two other relays. At the same time I checked the light switch
and the killer switch. So far the bike has worked faultlessly for
thousands of kilometers.

The bike is with 1100 EVO engine and I only have a wiring diagram
for Mille. I would very much appreciate if anyone could tell where to
get a diagram for my bike.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...I too only have the Mille wiring diagram....Pictures of the front face away from the rider of the Domino throttle would be nice....the "choke" button that is normally there is only about 4mm x 4mm square and is low done on the front face, it slightly advances the throttle for cold starting.....I never twist the throttle until the engine has caught and even then only after a few seconds of running has passed otherwise the ECU cuts off the fuel flow and stops the bike.......

Other than that other items could be an intermittent fault on the clutch operated lever switch....does clutch have to be pulled to start the bike? clutch should always be pulled anyhow to lessen the load on the starter motor.....I've had a dodgy switch on the clutch side before...its a small micro switch know to fail...Only 2 other items after that...how old is the battery? if over 3-4 years old the Yuasa batteries are due a change...go for one with a high Cold Cranking Ampage...of say 15 or more CCA.........Last item...if bike has been difficult to start and with a worn battery the sprag clutch bearing fails on the bike...another know Ducati fail item...even if youre desperate to start the bike...a slow whirr whirr of a dying battery causes the sprag clutch to fail if its not spun at high speeds.......Oh...last one would be to change the starter cables for high copper content items....the existing grade copper cables from left over Ducati loom is low quality to say the least........
Urpo L

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the throttle again. Sorry, no moving parts there.
As I said earlier I have put the throttle in pieces and noticed
no choke parts.

It seems I can't copy pictures here.
Let's try again:
https://goo.gl/photos/P1zByizrQQa4iYt78

Last edited by Urpo L on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: