Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5 air filter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

Did either of you, Spike and CNC, oil up the foam before you put it back in...like on good old fashioned 2 stroke enduro bikes or K&N Air filter oil style??

I oiled my ramair foam with foam air filter oil. Makes the dirt etc stick like shit to a blanket.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Geez I hope the sand is on the dirty side of the airbox? Did you ride through a sand storm Shocked

The fine sand was on the dirty side...the larger stuff was on the clean side....... Shocked I'm not so sure how far Rimini is from the Beach...but reckon the bike made a few trips there before my ownership...RamAir filter now ordered....foam was a bit tired in the old one....Did either of you "oil" the ramAir filters? Or are they intended to be fitted Dry?
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...cheers Brian...jsut read your third post...I've refitted the old one whilst waiting for the RamAir one...but chose to oil it for extra sticky protection as you say....
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had a chance to get the MWR filter set installed yet, butt they did come pre-oiled. I'm not able to get to the bike right now, as soon as I get them installed I will make a report.
1965 Triumph T100SC
CNC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Did either of you "oil" the ramAir filters? Or are they intended to be fitted Dry?

RamAir are to be dry fitted... so I tried first this option. If turns out that still not fine enough, I'll oil it...
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guys...input much appreciated
waggytee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fitted a RamAir filter - Air box looked the same as the photos previously posted Shocked

I'll be keeping an eye out to see how this one fairs
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the MWR air filter set on my DB5R and went for a short ride today. It seems to run just like it did without any ECU mumbo-jumbo, but the roll on wheely meter says it's running stronger! When I rolled on the gas at around 4k in first it went way up higher than I am used to!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....good reports back then...if a little surprising at first...at least for yourself whilst riding......presumably a straight fit in place of the carbon old lid?...always conscious in low production hand made stuff that such things as airboxes vary from bike to bike....

Is there any seal suggested around the lid? I know theres not one at present on the existing....and think that when bikes are washed this could be the source of the sand running in...later Db6 models had a raised rubber lip on the peripheal edge of the airbox that fits tight to the underside of the tank to stop ingress into the airbox
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filter media is oiled and lays against the air box, with a frame that holds it in place. With the amount of space between the bottom of the tank and the filter, one would have to direct a pressure washer into the gap to get the filter wet. The element that replaces the stock filter is also oiled so that it makes a much better seal against the box than the stock one did.
All parts fit very well, no issues during installation whatsoever.
1965 Triumph T100SC
Bivox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, I wonder how's the noise from the airbox with the MWR filter installed?
I am about to have my DB5 remapped with a PC - and the question is: with or without MWR? I'd hate it to do it all over again just because I find the MWR too noisy for my stressed ears.

thanks much, Frank
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Frank, I do not notice any increase in noise level with the full MWR filter kit installed. All I hear is the exhaust and the typical engine noise from a 2 valve aircooled Ducati!
1965 Triumph T100SC
Bivox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good to ... ah ... hear. Wink
thanks, Spike.
Bivox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I installed the MWR. Fits well, noise is no issue, exactly as Spike described Wink Thanks again.

Having off the original lid I noticed that the OEM filter foam was misplaced resulting in a hole through which air - and dirt - went directly into the box. I straightened the foam, of course. However, I wonder if it is supposed to be completely dry?

The MWR is richly oiled. My first impression was that the motor runs smoother than before. The jolting around 4000 revs in 3rd gear is still there but seemed reduced.

Another issue is still pending: Idling is normally at 1200. But sometimes, when the motor is hot, it stays at close to 2000. Any ideas?

Thanks, Frank
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ECU do you have?
1965 Triumph T100SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: