Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Tesi 3D vs 3D Naked.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Tesi 3D vs 3D Naked. Reply with quote

Recently I had the opportunity to ride a Tesi 3D and a Tesi 3D naked back to back.
Looking at photos of these 2 bikes I thought they were completely different. However in the flesh, side by side you realise how similar they are in some areas and how different in others.
Tank and front bodywork are exactly the same, just with different mirror/indicator positions and different colour scheme..
Frame which I thought was different due to different front shock arrangement is actually the same, only difference is the 3D naked has an extra bracket bolted to it to take the front Ohlins shock.
The front swing arm, which I thought was just a different mount actually turns out to be completely different. It’s longer on the 3D naked and has extra bracing.

Ok rear end is completely different as one is a twin seat side exhaust with a seat frame and the other is a single seat , under slung exhaust etc.

Seating on the Tesi 3D seem the oh so familiar sports bike crouch I am used to on Bimota’s, seat feel comfy but set up feels a little soft.
On the 3D naked the seating position feels a little strange and suspension hard.(Maybe just me not used to this style of bike). Also the single nut headstock looks just alien . OK I know this is done to exaggerate the ‘NO FORK ‘ design, but it is a little strange when you first sit on the bike and certainly gets your attention.

So riding, this is what its all about . Off it was the the DVLA station for the vehicle inspection.
3D was up first as its what I had been waiting for for many years. Now first thing I noticed was how light the steering was and how much more steering angle it had. I was expecting a turning circle the size of a bus, and although not quite ‘normal fork ‘ability, it was more than acceptable.
On the move it felt ‘almost normal’ . Now I don’t know if that is a good or bad thing but it felt good to me. I did’nt really notice any ‘ vague ‘ front end that write ups suggest , and on the bumpy country road to the inspection I could push on quite nicely, all felt reasonably normal for a 2V Ducati powered bike. Tried to analyse the front end in the corners but did’nt get a great sense either way really, however looking at the shock afterwards and after a bit of google action I think the front shockt needs more air pressure. So I will leave it at that for now. One thing I did notice was the squished Zard carbon cans , these did sound nice.

So back home it was a quick change onto the 3D Naked and back we went to the DVLA station. Now firstly I have to say the 1100 Evo engine is a vast improvement on the old 2V motor, it just seemed to pick up from nowhere and felt much stronger through the rev range. This might be an engine thing or maybe a better ECU, but whatever it is a vast improvement. The seating position that seemed a bit awkward at standstill now felt far more natural, and the pressure you could apply to the front end brakes going into corners was amazing. Now I do think the front shock is the other way setting wise on the naked, it seemed very hard and needing a bit of backing off , but the bike was still quite amazing in how it seemed to glide over the bumps whilst hard on the brakes. There was none of the jarring I get on my DB5 or 7 over the same bumps, some may say this is ‘ FEEL ‘ but it did have feel it was just in a different way. OK ultimately on the ragged edge I think the db5R would have it point to point on a smooth surface , ( they are the closest comparison I have) but for a quick blast country lane bike, on a road you don’t know I would say the ability for the Tesi to change line on the brakes and adjust braking power for an unforeseen pot hole etc , would leave the DB5R in its wake
It has to be said the 3D naked was a great surprise to me !!!!. Even the standard exhaust has a nice fruity note !! Shocked
waggytee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh to have both, or even one Laughing

So all good at the IVA?
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good with VOSA. Just need to register now. Very Happy
Was sort of a mistake that I ended up with 2 ( well thats what I tell the wife) and really need to sell one. The 3d naked was going to be the one to sell , but now not sure , might have to ride them a little more before I make my decision !! Shocked Laughing
Jbuffa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vort,

I set up my 3D front shock at 130 psi. I'm 165 lbs with gear and that air pressure works well for me. The manual calls for 137 psi. I've done about 1500 miles plus a track day and I'm happy with the front end. I'm also 1 click softer than standard on the rebound.
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbuffa wrote:
Vort,

I set up my 3D front shock at 130 psi. I'm 165 lbs with gear and that air pressure works well for me. The manual calls for 137 psi. I've done about 1500 miles plus a track day and I'm happy with the front end. I'm also 1 click softer than standard on the rebound.

Thanks, will have a look. Should have really done it before I rode but the prospect of getting to ride was to much , just gave them a quick once over to make sure nothing silly and then could ride to testing station !! Shocked
CNC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vort,

thanks for nice double test... Very interesting. Regarding the looks, I would take 3D every time.
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose I should add a few pictures Very Happy

Tesi 3d

Tesi 3Dn

Only one I have of them together.

2bims

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Vort....and got them just in time for Winter....I was wondering what the difference was between the engines...as evidently both single cam, 2 valve 1078 units...old one having 4 plugs for twin spark and new Evo engine going back to single plug per cylinder........so whats the engine differences???

Motorcycle specs clarifies....Brief synopsis is that they've employed tuning to the engine like most folk would have done with a carbie 900SS version....different porting, inlets, different cam...high comp profile pistons etc

The 1100EVO is the most powerful, two-valve Ducati engine every built.

Ducati Monster 1100EVO Engine

The Monster 1100EVO delivers 100 hp (73,5kW) @ 7500rpm and 75.9 ft. lbs of torque (103Nm) @ 6000rpm.

Compared with the previous Monster 1100, the new engine data performance ensures a more exciting riding experience at high revs and a super-smoother power delivery thanks to a more linear torque curve.

The new Monster 1100EVO is powered by the Desmodue EVOluzione engine which is the first two-valve Ducati to hit the 100 hp. Compared with the previous 1100 cc Twin cylinder air-cooled L Desmodromic, this new engine gives an even greater adrenalin rush thanks to the superior power level at high revs while a more linear torque curve ensures a super-smoother power delivery.

The 1100 cc Twin Desmodromic has been tuned in order to increase both volumetric and combustion efficiency. The inlet ports and the combustion chamber shape have been redesigned, while the new camshafts have an extreme profile to provide an increased valve lift. The pistons are new too and feature an high compression profile. To ensure high standards of reliability the head cooling system has been revised with improved lubrication to enhance the cooling performance.

The Monster 1100EVO features a new APTC wet clutch which ensures quiet operation and long life. In addition, the progressive self-servo mechanism reduces the lever effort at the handlebar and makes the Monster even more practical in traffic.

The Monster 1100EVO APTC wet clutch works with a race-like ‘slipper' system which reduces the destabilizing effect of the rear-end under aggressive down-shifting, and compared with other wet clutch used so far by Ducati, features an additional cush-drive damper mechanism which smooths the repeated transition from drive to over-run during stop-start traffic.

The two-valve engine on the Monster 1100EVO features a crankcase which significantly reduces overall engine weight. They are produced using the same innovative Vacural technology that Ducati previously applied only to Supersport models.

This method of production relies on vacuum die-casting, which improves the quality of the casting by avoiding porosity, air pockets and oxidation. This enables greater dimensional accuracy and higher ductility for the aluminum alloy.

Ducati designers have drawn upon the benefits of this innovative process, redefining the conformation and thickness of the sides on the new crankcase using finite element simulations (FEM) and tests, which resulted in achieving the required reliability standards as well as attaining a weight reduction of the crankcase.

The Monster 1100EVO features a completely revised 2-1-2 routing exhaust system with two aggressive low level cannon-style, vertically stacked silencers placed on the right side, which give off in fullness the famous sound of the Twin-cylinder Ducati engine.

The new exhaust system, equipped with tow Lambda probes and an electronically controlled valve, is a crucial component in achieving the excellent torque and engine power, and a fundamental style element used by the Ducati designers to emphasize the superior performance of the new Monster 1100EVO.
niels550

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
All good with VOSA. Just need to register now. Very Happy
Was sort of a mistake that I ended up with 2 ( well thats what I tell the wife) and really need to sell one. The 3d naked was going to be the one to sell , but now not sure , might have to ride them a little more before I make my decision !! Shocked Laughing

So did you decide which one to sell and why?

I'm thinking of ordering a new Naked later in the year. So am interested in your thoughts. Or indeed anyone else who has firsthand experience.

My previous bike was a YB11 which I regretfully sold. Probably the nicest bike Ive owned but now getting too old and stiff for a bike with clip-ons hence the interest in the Naked.... which could well be my last motorcycle, so have to choose carefully this time.
If I get much more decrepit, I'll have to start looking at Beemers.
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have them both.
Finally got around to registering both of them now. Done about 100 miles on the 3D but naked reg doc only came through last week so not actually taken it out since my first ride as waiting fo r the physical plate to arrive.I like the looks of the 3D but think the naked is a better bike to ride.

I was 100% sure before I rode them that the naked was going , but after my initial 10 miles I was a little confused to say the least, and as the wife has now got used to seeing them both in the garage , and is not giving me grief over having to many I think they are both going to stay, for a few months anyway.
niels550

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'll look forward to a comprehensive ride report when you've done your first 1000 miles.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The naked one could be the bike for you from how you describe yourself....I've seen and sat on both of Vorts Tesis...Yeh the 3D single seat with its under seat exhausts and clip-ons sure is the "looker" of the 2....together with high pegs....much more radical but not overly so to be on.

Wasnt taken with the 3D naked with its handlebars and side slung exhaust....until you get on it...and the high handlebars....lower footpegs....more generous saddle...makes you think and feel it would be the better all round ride....and it has a pillion seat...and due to having handlebars and NO under seat exhausts....it could take a tank bag and panniers behind the rider....maybe one of the most practical Bimotas made to date.....

Strange to look at the handlebars though...as they look like they're not attached to anything
niels550

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quelle Horreur! Panniers on a Bimota? Wash your mouth out with soap.
Next you'll be saying theres room for a top box. Laughing
Jbuffa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any kind of comfort your seeking, the Tesi 3D is not your bike. I've put in over 2000 miles and they have been incredibly enjoyable and "nut crunching". Once your in the twisty sections it's like most bikes with clip ons. The issue is your "man parts" are smashed up against the tank constantly. This requires moving back on the seat when possible, and when cruising I use one hand to push myself away front the tank. Having said all that, It's always my first choice when riding.
niels550

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently come across Alan Cathcart's 2013 review of the 3D Naked on CycleNews.
It pretty much mirrors Vort28's description.
I'd post it if I knew how to attach a PDF. Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: