Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB7 Lambda Sensors and Air Bleed Screws

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: DB7 Lambda Sensors and Air Bleed Screws Reply with quote

Hi all,

The bike I bought has been de-catted and there are no lambdas on it - surely that is going to be a problem or isn't the walbro setup a closed loop system.

Does anyone know the standard setting of the throttle body Air Bleed screws? Is it 3/4 anticlockwise as per ducati 1098

Thanks very much in advance!

Zombie
djt77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a problem on mine or other who i know have done similar modification. You should be fine, it will depend on age of bike though as the ECU has been tweeked over the years I believe. May be worth getting it on dyno to see how rich it's running?

Are you experiencing any issues at the moment?

(How did you find the suspension settings?)
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zombie......decatted zard pipes on a DB7......Where did you buy the bike from? Just wondering if it was the one I used to own.....I sold it on commission via Ducati Manchester a year or 2 ago....and it seemed to dissappear after that...new owner never appearing on here..
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does'nt seem to be a problem on mine either Zombie. However we do need pictures !!!! Can't just come on here saying you bought a new bike with no pictures !!!!!! Very Happy
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Thanks for the info that is reassuring regarding the lambdas!

Bought the bike from Ebay, it was originally from Made-in-italy. It was sold with a known running fault.

It has a major plug fouling issue which I currently think is the TPS, reason being the rear cylinder seems to run clean after opening the rear throttle plate a tad more than the front using the front rear plate synchronising adjustment shaft. Have also changed the injectors and stick coils out for some ebay items for good measure but this made little difference really.

Whoever had worked on it before had attempted to cure the very rich running by opening the air bleeds to 5 turns - the screws were nearly falling out lol.

My other theory at present is a stuck Stepper stopping the air correction getting in during idling but first things first with the TPS.

I will try and download some pics at some point!

Thanks for all the help so far,

Zombie
djt77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is MX05 old bike? Any idea who the previous owners were?
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike seems to have sat in a dealers for a couple of years if the ebay ad was anything to go by...from Milton Keynes Dealer?

I note that they listed the mileage still to be in Kms....not a big concern whilst youre trying to get it running right....but its an easy enough job to change to mph by pressing the buttons on the Koso clocks if you need to know how..

And..if they havent bothered to initally change the clocks to mph...I also presume that the main beam on the bike is still kicking up to the right for an EU bike...and not to the left for UK riding...

and see if MX05 ever got a kit from Armin of DRT Schneider...if youre getting no luck in contacting him...then try Hartwig on this Forum.....speaks reads writes English...and is a mate of Armin...you'll find him under the "Bikes for Sale" section.........

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks 2Bims great help. Thanks for the tips I will definitely like to know how to fix the kick to the right beam if I find it is misaligned.

The guy I bought it from was from Hertfordshire not that far from MK but the connection was not mentioned at the time... The old add should still be on ebay...my understanding is he was doing the bike up but could not fix the running. Consequently has new tyres, sprox and chain ready for the road...

Apart from that bike seems to have been treated with a bit of disrespect at some point as there was no air filter, which may even have caused the stepper to get clogged up with dust and stop working. Or maybe the engineer ditched it to combat the over rich mixture who knows... There are the usual bits and bobs missing such as well nuts being replaced with ordinary nuts etc.

I have not had a response from Armin yet think he might be on holiday but I want to get this sorted so I will have a look at the stepper and if its ok, just how feasible rotating the TPS manually is this weekend.

All the best , Zombie
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..sorry for the delay its been a very busy few weeks sadly not all spent working on bikes... anyway here is an update....

I bought a 2nd hand 1098 air box complete from Ebay for about £180. Eventually it arrived and I stripped the stepper and TPS out of it along with the IWP189 shower 12 hole pico-Injectors - all of these bits match the DB7 and the unit itself was cheapish saving a shedload of spares cost. The TPS was difficult to remove and needed a bit of heating from a hair drier and WD to help. )Also It has a little spigot in it too which stops you from rotate-to-tune).

Anyway I swapped over the TPS first which was an easy reach job but a bit delicate - on first go the bike ran well --no sooting of the plugs. Then after air bleeds were set back to the standard 3/4 turn, gave the air box a good clean out and then fitted a new sports air filter (1098 just about ok) after all this the bike ran pretty good to fine.

Took it out for a great 30mile run to the Watchet Music Festival and gave everyone there a good wake-up...perfect.

Only slight drawback is its a wee bit jerky from closed throttle but can live with that and anyway it is no doubt due to it needing a TPS reset. It is doing very well considering the new TPS has not been zeroed yet. Anyway I finally got in touch with Armin and he is sending the software and cable over so that should be that when it arrives. In the meantime I did a bit of work on figuring out a cable and software - its not that easy but I think I have got an adaptor cable pinout on paper for converting the Benelli ECU cable to fit the DB7 - hopefully will not need to pursue it if Armin sends his through.

Anyway the summary is the original TPS was faulty the previous owner tried to workaround it with the air bleed screws and all sorts of other things to lean the mixture out but as the TPS was telling the ecu the throttle was way open when it was not - this was always going to end in over-fuelling.

TPS is often over-looked in my humble experience and is always a good thing to check/swap out if possible. Sooting or brown smoke = TPS showing too far open, popping =TPS reading too closed. Another tell tale of a bad TPS setting is that the bike runs well on an open-ish throttle but badly on a closed throttle.

The older injected bimotas have the rotatable TPS which makes things easier as no clever software or cable is needed - just a lot of trial and error. (I am sure Bimota_Tuner will have a few words to say about this last comment).

Thanks for all the help and advice on this thread!

Zombie.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that you've relatively sorted it all out without any major cost/hitches.....I presume you've now got it MOT'd/registered ? cant recall if it was registered? Sorted the Kms to mph....and was the headlight kicking the wrong way or is your MOT man like man and barely looks at the bikes???
zombie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 2Bims, the bike was 12 months mot pretty much before I bought it it just didn't run - small detail for the examiner!
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely....its not an issue for an examiner that it doesnt run....other than whether he thinks it is perhaps or could be "a little noisey".....none of the MOT tests on bikes currently requires it to actually have an engine....
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Sorry it has been so long.

Just wanted to say that I finally received the software and after a real lot of fiddling got it working.

The TPS was set too 5% lean which accounts for the slightly jumpy throttle. Reset it then waited for a nice dry weekend - live in a farming area and no point getting it all muddy after all the work!

Took it for a spin and it was amazing. My daily ride is a well sorted SB8K it is 1098 fast since I installed the iwp189 12 hole shower injectors - but the DB7 was so smooth and felt so light.

Thanks to all for the help.

I know most about the SB8R/SBK family of bikes but I've learnt a little bit on the DB7. If anyone needs my 2c on a technical issue on any of these bike drop a line. Found a lot of equivalent spares etc.

Cheers
Zombie
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zombie

Good to hear you got the DB7 sorted. They are a GREAT bike . Done about 2k on mine this year, and the more you ride them the better they get .
Suspension is a bit firm and most people relaxed it off quite a bit , bit still on the firm side for rode riding.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting it sorted Zombie....always good to hear that nother "failed bimota" has been resurrected and put back to what it was built for..being ridden........and good to hear that the software and cable came through and did its job......

I'm selling an internal Company Bimota handout on ebay at the moment....From when Bimota SpA took over from Bimota Motor SpA in the year 2000...interesting reading...and would be good advice if they followed this plan today
they say.........
" As the Bimota product is always improving, a more qualified sales network is necessary. The after-sales service is therefore a KEY COMPONENT of the satisfaction of the customer...thus a re-organising of the network is necessary aimed at qualifying the dealers and the importers.

Then they reference the key importance of clubs worldwide that support the brand and must be supported with other meetings and track rallies...

The Re-launch of the Bimota brand will include information available to the clubs, dealers importers etc
and the Project will include the following:-
. reservation of a Bimota test ride
. reservation/order of a motorcycle
. request for a Bimota rental ride
. Bimota spare parts order
. Reservation order for quality used Bimotas (with clubs assistance)
. ASSISTANCE AND MANUALS
. oN line inter-active info points...etc etc"

All sounds great...and was the intention as written by them in the YEar 2000.........wouldnt mind if they went half way towards this today......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: