Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5 exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: DB5 exhaust Reply with quote

HI all,

i wanted to take the opportunity to introduce me first. my name is Robert, i am from Austria, living in Munich, Germany, and am i proud new owner of a DB5. i also Own an MV Agust F4 1000R.

I am wondering if there are street legal aftermakret exhausts for the bimota db5? i see thre is one of ZARD but afaik thats nothin to use for street? it has to ahve an e nummer on it to be rideable legally in germany.

Any tipps?

i think the original is fine and not too silent but surely something to imporeve in sound and weight.

Cheers, Robert
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum Robert...and congratulations on what I at least think is a great bike...not so powerful but handles beautifully.....Yes the standard black steel exhaust cans are quite heavy and not so loud....but are E stamped.....Zard have made an oval shaped titanium pair of end cans...but with no baffles and no E stamp...and also carbon squishy end cans which I also think have no E stamps.....I know someone with a Db5Mille fitted with squishy carbon end cans....and he had purposefully made engraved plates that were pop rivetted on to the end cans with all the right words for E classification....and thats as close as I think you can get to louder lighter end cans that are "E" approved....sort or...Ahem.... Shocked

tenchu2x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah i would avoid that because at least in germany tahts even worse then having no e number on it. if they get it that its fake you are in some serious trouble. hm ok so there is really now street legal alternative?
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH btw, do you think you can too email me the workshop manual and parts list of the db5? and maybe also the original user manual, did not come with the bike. its a standard db5 with wet clutch. öhlins behind, marzochi in the front
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really any such thing as a "standard" Bimota...if you've got Marzocchis up front it must be a newer one....standard if there is such a thing...DB5's have marzocchis or Ohlins upfront and Ohlins or Extreme Tech rears....Pm me your email address and I'll send on Workshop manual and spare parts manual...only in English I'm afraid not German.....I do have a spare Owners manual in paer form...genuine Bimota one...but thats in Italian...dont have that one in English or electronically..........Has to be emailed as a File share that you download from a link as too big to email as an attachment.......
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenchu2x wrote:
ah i would avoid that because at least in germany tahts even worse then having no e number on it. if they get it that its fake you are in some serious trouble. hm ok so there is really now street legal alternative?

As you say in your words "street legal" thats the problem...if they were...you wouldnt be wanting to buy them to change for what you have anyway....standard pipes...at least here in the UK...are very close to the legal decibel limit anyway...probably already above 80dba at half throttle 4750rpm from recollection
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems i found one. it is a Galassetti, i wrote to a local dealer and he is selling them with an legal e number. maybe anyone has expereince with these?

talking about this one: its made of steel:

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things....I hope that there 2 of them...coz thats what you'll need...and I hope that theres a pair of link connester pipes also...because that picture wont reach the next connector in line on a DB5 exhaust system....link connecters on the DB5 are permanently fixed to the end cans...and are different lengths and bends left and right...and need the threaded inserts 2 No. per can to connect to the bracket to hold them under the seat...Ones in the picture are carbon sleeve so should certainly be lighter....and carbon sleeved cans give a different sound to steel...so sound will be different...but if E marked then probably no louder as its limited to 85 db

Below is how the cans look like off the bike...note the length and the bends and that the left is different from the right....

This is their website...an Italian company...I presume they have removable baffles...all pictures of them fitted to a Db5 bike though show different collecters dropping down through the swingarm than Bimota use...So i presume that you would need a full system all the way to the headers to get them to fit...they also have straps and a different mounting system than the standard Bimota bracket under the seat...so all down to cost and if you like the look of them...they're not for me...but each to their own....

http://www.galassetti.it/nuovo/index.php?option=com_vehiclemanager&task=view_vehicle&id=77&catid=56&Itemid=278
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have those on my db7, Admittedly I don't have the db killer's but without them they will wake the dead.
2bims only person on forum that has heard them in the flesh so maybe he will pass comment.
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry of course there are 2 of them Smile and they come including the necessar bikes to mount. its jsut oin this picture that its not included, i got others too where mounted on the bike.

and it is not carbon although they look like it. i asked the dealer. it is perforated steel which makes it lok like carbon. he said that with the carbon ones they produced too much heat and tehre fore did not get an e number.

seems like the only way to get a legit one.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So youre going to go with a full system from front headers to the back? If so...check how many lambda sensors you have on your exisiting original exhaust...early models have one on the front pipe..later have one on the rear pipe also...they plug into the exhausts and into the ecu adjusting the ecu for air/fuel, sensing o2 levels in the exhaust gases, your new system will need these where you have them on the new and old pipes....or else you will have to re-programme the ECU...and you dont want to go there....Bimota software and connecting lead will be needed....If new pipes have lambda sensors on both pipes and you only have one...then you need a blanking plug for the other...easy buy on ebay. Ask the dealer if he has actually supplied any of these to a customer...theres not many Bimotas around and a lot of suppliers will offer their services but perhaps you are their first customer...new systems from Galattassi will probably not have the catalytic converters on either pipe...just straight through...this will affect the emissions...do german authorities test the emissions each year? They dont in the UK...only when the bike is new......As for the sound on a Db7 as per Vort........Yup...without the baffles in its like a Henkel dive bomber going full pelt on a descent over London....... Laughing
tenchu2x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller is official Bimota Dealer and Maybe the one with best reputation in Germany for Bimota . I guess I drive to them next year and get it mounted on sight . They had it mounted on many consumers as they say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: