Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5R valve adjust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: DB5R valve adjust Reply with quote

On last Friday I completed a nearly week long expedition into the valve cavities of my DB5R. While the closers were within the spec as far as the manual showed, once I got them down to the minimum that I could, some that I could not fit my thinnest feeler gauge into, but could still rotate with mu fingers, it seems much smoother and has less mechanical noise.
I could only work a few hours a day on it and had to learn a technique for installing the half rings, which took me a while, it was still quite a project, especially when it came to installing the air box!
I was seriously considering going to pod filters during that part of the job! I installed a set of MBP collets for the closers, they fit perfectly and should extend the adjustment intervals.
1965 Triumph T100SC
polyesterpig

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my valve adjustment on my DB4, the heads were off due to replacing a valve guide. I was lucky that the heads were off because I too made the closer shims tight as could be, but were still able to rotate the shim. Per Snieders book this was optimal. But since the heads were off, I was able to rotate the cams and found out they were binding! If I would have run the engine, it wouldn't of lasted long. I ended up reshimming the heads to the correct spec with MBP collets. The cams spun freely with no binding. Now I will only reshim the heads with the cam belts off. I have over 1000 miles since the valve work and it still idles perfectly and pulls crisp all the way to redline.
2010 Ducati Hypermotard evo SP
2000 Bimota DB4ie BiPosto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: