Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Need some help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nflpats

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Need some help Reply with quote

I need some help with a possible situation. I just bought a SB8R-S and it arrived today. The bike states 1349 miles however by closer inspection the bike looks like it has much more. The radiator has alot of gills that are bent, exhaust pipe is rusted at the header, the front brake pads look warn down and not the same pads as my other SB8R-S. This bike has one big pad on each side as my other one has two per side. Anyway, the front tank has paint bubbles and the BIMOTA sticker is peeling showing another sticker underneath. I don't want to say where I bought the bike until I give him the chance to take it back. I am very skeptical that this bike has more mileage than stated and has been damaged.

My question is: can you remove the speedo cable or disconnect something so that the mileage does not register? My MV Agusta had a problem with the speed sensor making the speedometer and odometer inoperable. I hope to get some answers. Thanks
oily

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say I know very little about SB8's as I've never owned one yet Wink

To answer your question......Yes.
If it's a mechanical speedo with a cable, just disconnect the cable but I'm thinking it's an electronic speedo on the SB8 so even easier. just connect a computer to it and you can make the mileage read whatever you want it to.
This is, of course illegal in the UK but still common practice amongst unscrupulous dealers.
You can also check the mileage history in the UK because it's recorded annually at the MOT test.
Not much use to you of course but stickers on top of stickers is a bit of a give away in itself.

Perhaps some close up pictures would get you better opinions Wink
nflpats

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inspected the bike thoroughly and even though I can't prove anything, the bike looks like it has more miles than stated. I am just disappointed in the bike. It is very very dirty as if the bike sat outside for 10 years. The carbon fiber is not as shiny as my other SB8R. You can definitely see the difference between the two. Also, why is the paint quality on these bikes horrible? I have paint spots everywhere on the tank and cracks along the edges.
oily

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is this bike?
kb11110cc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly brakes
If you have 2 SB8Rs with different calipers it could be someone has upgraded one of the bikes to Mille R calipers which use the same mounting points and has 4 pads where as standard Bimota items run the 2 number pad system. Both are excellent and when i had mine i tried both types of caliper.
Re fin damage: this could be a rad has been removed at some time and not looked after.

other items re speedo anything is possible.
surely you viewed the bike before buying unless it was cheap?

But if you are unhappy send it back if you can.

best regards

Carl
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like an ex-race / track bike where the speedo has been taken off, hence the stickers under the Bimota stickers.

Bottom line is it's not as described and you can either negoiate a new price or simply send it back for a refund. Any hassle and you say it looks like it's been clocked and you'll consider taking it further.
oily

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
It sounds like an ex-race / track bike where the speedo has been taken off, hence the stickers under the Bimota stickers.

Bottom line is it's not as described and you can either negoiate a new price or simply send it back for a refund. Any hassle and you say it looks like it's been clocked and you'll consider taking it further.

Dude, the guy's from Las Vegas
Not sure but I think the law is slightly different on the other side of the pond Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably - but if it's sold off a picture advert then it should be in that condition, it forms part of the contract. If the stated milage doesn't match the condition and you haven't inspected it then either send it back / arrange collection or negoiate a new price.
nflpats

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the deal. I did not see the bike before I bought it. I bought it from a very reputable importer who owns a dozen other Bimota's. Wont say his name because he is selling it for someone else as a consignment and I will give him the opportunity to make right.

Let me tell you about the condition. First, the rear carbon plate holder is gone, cut, and has a shift bracket aluminum bracket. The front caliper pistons are further out than normal on a 1300 mile bike (Brake pads seem 3/4 full). Should be basically new. I have a DB7 with 6,000 miles and my brake pads have more life. The fins on the radiator have several dings, dents, ect....far more than my DB7. The only explanation is that he drove the bike 1000 miles through the amazon jungle. Those bugs are pretty big. The exhaust on both sides of the manifold are very rusty, not what you expect from a low mile bike. There is dirt and grime in far places that would take miles and miles of riding to adhere to those places. The front fork where you would adjust the dial is leaking something. The carbon fiber looks much more grey than my other bike. Just seems that this bike was used on the track and put back together just to sell. I am suspecting that this was a damaged bike that sat outside in many years. Someone tried to replace the parts. I'll try to take photos. The way it looks, I wouldn't want the bike even if he returned 1/2 my money and I only paid $11,500.
husson73

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

other explanation for the pads is he drove it on a track as suggests someone else.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like you've already made your mind up for them to take it back, which is a wise decision. Hold out for a full refund but you'll probably find the import company won't give you any problems they'll have already formed their own opinion of the bike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: