Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB1 Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducatidave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: DB1 Problem Reply with quote

When I bought my DB1 in 2005 it had 15k on the clock and was in excellent condition as it had been kept in the previous owner's lounge room most of its life. I have tried to keep the mileage down and maintain its condition. I am now retired and find I am riding it more and more despite having other motorcycles to choose. I have added another 15k to the mileage. Its just such a delight to ride, a real Walter Mitty machine that you become part of instead of hopping on as with other machines. Is there a cure for my DB1 infatuation?
DB1S, '74 Ducati 750S, '83 Pantah 600, '03 ST2, '84 R100RS, '83 R65LS, 1914 Triumph 500, '69 Trident, '49 Panther 600, '53 Panther 600, '58 Triumph racing s/car, Honda 600 F2 s/car, '57 Triumph 6T s/car, '12 Suzuki 1250 s/car, Yam SR250
deebee4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but there's no cure for riding fun with a bimota. You'll have to live with it and make the best of it for the rest of you life. Smile

You could detach the tacho, so the mileage won't show. Just fool the others... Smile

Hope this was of any help to you.
Quadrasuarass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could consider some sort of restoration, I was cleaning my DB1 sometime back in 2008 and found a broken choke cable. The end result was a complete bare metal tear down that found some other unusual features under the paintwork - it is slowly coming back together now. As I keep telling people "it's a 10 year project so I have another three years left to complete it".

This will certainly stop the mileage from ticking over but may severely damage your right hip pocket. I have an S2R to keep me in shape - only problem is the mileage is becoming excessive on that.

Cheers
Nigel
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

you could get a Mantra, spray it matt black and ride it in the dark.... Very Happy

Cheers, MikeJ
powerhouse-mc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: DB1 addiction Reply with quote

I am with you entirely on this - have been riding bikes for almost 40 years and am completely addicted to the DB1. Bought mine in Tokyo (after admiring it on my daily commute past the Fukuda showroom in Roppongi in '91). It's a Powerhouse Motor Club special with Ohlins rear shock, Marvic wheels, custom lower cowling with double air vents on either side, amazing paint work (better than original) and (originally) a 2 into 1 exhaust (which sadly went missing during a move). Never had so much fun on a bike, riding the mountain roads an hour out of Tokyo and on the coast roads of the SW Izu peninsula from Shimoda in the summer.

That machine is now sitting in my house in the UK and will be the final bike to be recommissioned this year - Laverda Jota 180, DB1SR, DB2SR are the others.

If you like the DB1, the DB1SR is something else - it's a little animal but completely controllable - a true race machine. Mine's a 1990
Serie Finale (one of 7 apparently) picked up during my last month in Japan. Gave it a blast on some B roads a couple of days ago - true happiness! IMO that bike is perfection.
ducatidave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: DB1 addiction Reply with quote

[quote="powerhouse-mc"

If you like the DB1, the DB1SR is something else - it's a little animal but completely controllable - a true race machine. Mine's a 1990
Serie Finale (one of 7 apparently) picked up during my last month in Japan. Gave it a blast on some B roads a couple of days ago - true happiness! IMO that bike is perfection.[/quote]

My DB1 was converted to DB1S specs by the importer/agent with 41mm Malossi carbs with open bellmouths, some head work and Conti mufflers. I'm not sure whether it is running the standard cams. The modifications have given it that extra poke while still remaining tractable in slow urban traffic. We did have to lean the carburation but I have had to do that with all my older bikes to get them to run cleanly on the new fuel.
DB1S, '74 Ducati 750S, '83 Pantah 600, '03 ST2, '84 R100RS, '83 R65LS, 1914 Triumph 500, '69 Trident, '49 Panther 600, '53 Panther 600, '58 Triumph racing s/car, Honda 600 F2 s/car, '57 Triumph 6T s/car, '12 Suzuki 1250 s/car, Yam SR250
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: