Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Sb7 model history

View previous topic :: View next topic  
franky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Sb7 model history Reply with quote

Hi all.

Having just purchased an sb7 I'm trying to find all the background info/pics about this model? The yb8e that I got at the same time seems a little easier to get info on.

Its been standing a while so will need teasing back into life. Smile
djk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there ive got a SB7 as well and the first thing I always say is the fuel injection is shocking below 5-6k, a power commander helps but doesn't totally fix it from what ive read, other options are an aftermarket ecu, I think motec does something but that would mean dyno time to set up.

Other than that my knowledge is that it was made to race in superbikes back in the nineties using the GSXR750SP motor of the time. 200 SB7s supposedly made but who knows, 130ish made in the red/white/purple colours and 70ish made in black/yellow/purple colours, unsure correct quantities.

My bike sat for a while and I emptied the tank and put fresh fuel in and it fired after a few presses of the button, luckily I had the batteries(2 of them) on a tender so they were okay. I forgot that in the plastic tank fuel goes off sooner, I have seen images of the fuel pump hoses in the tank degrading over time so could be worth having a look through the filler cap to see if they are okay.

My bike did a base run on a dyno when it landed in NZ and they said it was doing roughly 120hp at the rear wheel.

I like my SB7, fuel injection problems aside(just keep it above 6k and no problems) it is one of my dream bikes.
franky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Yes can't wait to try and get it going again. I'm not too worried about it being lump/rubbish low down. Its just a fun type bike.

Great history to them also Smile

I've not managed to find any actual dyno testing of them? I thought they might make about 110bhp at the wheel?
djk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of the web pages I found they had 98.4kw/132hp as the maximum power which im guessing is at the crank. The motor cycle shop that I brought my bike from put all the fresh imports on the dyno to give them a run to make sure the bike is running right, 120hp is what I was told but no sheets printed so I cant verify, dyno results can vary as well so it could be plus or minus. I do remember the mechanic was surprised it was making that much.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the SB6 it's the airbox that restricts the performance so I guess it doesn't affect the 750 so much. The exhaust is thought to be good or at least better than OE Suzuki
djk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive read one magazine article that said Bimota added its own cams to this model but they also said that about the SB6 but I think that was disproved? I did do a search and they said the 1994 Suzuki GSXR750 SP motor was making 118hp but didn't say if it was at the crank or rear wheel. Most of that power is at the top end too with hardly anything down low.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SB6 uses standard Suzuki cams. The later Suzuki Gsxr1100w used Yoshimura profiles .... which were similar to the 750 profiles.
I doubt Bimota changed the SB7 cams either
franky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
The SB6 uses standard Suzuki cams. The later Suzuki Gsxr1100w used Yoshimura profiles .... which were similar to the 750 profiles.
I doubt Bimota changed the SB7 cams either

From what i "know", thats where the extra power came from, the japan only engines were made to a 100bhp limit, all bimota did was fit the cams the engine should have had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: