Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Las Vegas auction day 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yb11reno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Las Vegas auction day 1 Reply with quote

There were 7 bimotas for auction at the bonhams auction.
DB2 tricolore. Excellent condition. It had 4,500 miles. Hammered for $16,500 us (including 15% fee).
SB3, 20,000 miles, so-so condition, $12,000 was high bid didn't meet reserve.
YB8, very nice condition, $12,000 was high bid didn't meet reserve.

The next four bimotas were from an estate where the owner had passed away. My friend and I happened to run into a person who knew the bikes and the owner. In fact this person (I didn't get his name) was the dealer and had sold all four bikes when new. So these 4 bimotas had been one owner bikes now being sold by his estate at no reserve. The following was painfull for me to watch, if you were hunting bargain bimotas, you should've been here. All four bikes were mint, (price includes the 15% reserve charged by the auction company)
Tesi d1. Sold for $19,800
Super mono sold for $9,600
SB8R sold for $7,200
DB3 mantra sold for $9,600 (the bike had $8k worth of upgrades, big bore kit, according to the dealer.

The motto guzzi magni Australia was immaculate. It sold for $23,200 (including fee).

I left and went over to the mecum auction, the two bimotas there didn't meet reserve.
YB7, high bid was $7,500. Condition was so-so
YB11 (excellent condition) was bid to $10,000.

Three more will be coming across tomorrow and Saturday, I'll let you know how they do.

Jack
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine the dealer may have been Bob Steinburglar of BImota Spirit??

Healthy price for DB2 tricolor...but the ducati engine and styling have always been a hit....and I think a good price for BB1 which are considered the cheapest entry Bimota due to being flawed concept........other prices?? Always sad to see and just further confirms that Bimotas are off most peoples radar and still dont really command the prices that they should for what they are......Similar Ducatis of age etc normally being more collectable and attaining higher prices...although undeservedly so IMHO.......all about brand name and prescence....and Bimota lacks that in most peoples immediate conceptions and thoughts.........
djk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Healthy prices are right, there is a DB2 for sale here in NZ and he wants 17000nzd which I thought was high but after seeing the prices in that auction maybe his price is justified. There is also a Muntra for sale here and he wants 10000nzd but that has been for sale for awhile with no takers.

We are getting a lot more Bimotas coming into New Zealand in the last few years, one importer brought in 7 or 8 in his last shipment and seems to be happy bringing them in. He still has a few unsold but the majority get moved on.

And thanks Jack for the information, I had a look at that auction and was curious as to what prices they would have gotten.
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent condition SB6r in silver/blue sold today for $11,000
Reggiebusa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the dealer was a guy called Greg Ramell who was a Bimota dealer in Michigan and sold the bikes to Ron Boltz. All info from Bonham's website.
Falcolion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

Thanks for the updates. Tesi price is pretty good and Magni Australia is not bad. I have heard prices of $26-30K for Magni.

I guess I will keep my Bimotas for a while. My YB11 should be almost brand new looking when done with restoration. Mechanically the bike is close to perfect with a small problem with radiator. So, I got a spare radiator and the original will be fixed as well. Bodywork is being attended for by a friend of mine who is professional restorer. Every bolt hole will have carbon fiber backing that should prevent any spider cracks in the future. All carbon fiber parts have anywhere from 3 to 8 coats of clear with wet sanding in between.

He is also re-clearing my SB8K Santamonica carbon fiber parts. I thought the parts looked good before but now they look like expensive jewelry.

So, it's good to know that Bimotas are keeping their value.

Still biting my lip for not buying 97 SB6R for $4500-5000.

YB8 is great looking machine.

Db2 is awesome but I guess whoever paid that kind of $$$ is not going to be riding. All my bikes see regular rides.

As I said before, Mantra is ugly duckling that will never become a beautiful swan. I wouldn't pay any $$$$ no matter how much was spend on upgrades unless I could get for almost nothing and use parts for maybe other DB2/DB4 if they are somewhat interchangeable.

Just my 2 cents.

Jack, you the man. Keep as updated
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2007 Aprilia RSVR Bol D'Or
2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other two bimotas sold today (Saturday)
Both excellent condition, don't know mileage.

Tesi 1b with termignoni exhaust. $17000 ($18,700 if you include buyer fee)

sB8R, red/black with corse exhaust. $10,000 ($11,000 if you add buyer fee)
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an SB6R, not an SB8R that sold today for $10K
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting tidbit from the LV auction. There was a 1984 Kenny Roberts edition Yamaha RZ 350. This was the water cooled 2 stroke that produced 46 hp. It seems they sold 19,000 of these in the US but because of high attrition rate, have attained cult status. But I was thinking - bargain priced v due. Wrong. Hammer price was $10,000.

One take away from the auction was that the bikes from the 80s are just now hitting their stride and prices moving up like we saw 10 years ago with the triumphs and nortons. when you look at these they're interesting, but not exceptional, Honda cbxs and some of the turbo bikes leading the increase, but also seeing Kawasaki 1000s catch fire. Maybe it's that 30 year threshold where enthusiasts are at an age with enough $ to go after the machines they lusted for when they were getting their license.
Falcolion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesi sold at a bargain. Even if it's no longer the top dog in performance it's still super cool machine. I would love to own something like that. But my heart is lusting for Magni Australia
2008 BMW HP2 Sport
2007 Aprilia RSVR Bol D'Or
2006 Bimota SB8K Santamonica
2005 Benelli Tornado Tre
2002 Mondial Piega

Last edited by Falcolion on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slashaguc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Bimota BB1 Supermono road racer- ex the late Ron Boltz Reply with quote

I know that bike. It was built by Gregg Rammel in the mid 90's with the absolute best of everything. Full on Pami motor, Marvic wheels, Ohlins rear, factory race exhaust, factory bodywork, oil cooler, factory suspension kit etc. The list goes on & on and also, any bike built by Gregg was top notch. That has to be a very valuable bike in the coming years if not so already. I'd love to have it in my collection!
Bimota SB2, SB3, SB4-S, SB8RS, DB2, BB1, YB7-400, YB7 Formula TT,YB8e, Moriwaki Moto Martin Kawasaki, Harris F1 Kawasaki, Yosh Seeley Honda 750, Kawasaki KZ1000 Superbike, Suzuki RGV250 VJ22, RGV500, Yosh GS750 Superbike, Aprilia RS640-R, RS125 Rossi
V10LEE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Las Vegas auction day 1 Reply with quote

yb11reno wrote:
There were 7 bimotas for auction at the bonhams auction.
DB2 tricolore. Excellent condition. It had 4,500 miles. Hammered for $16,500 us (including 15% fee).
SB3, 20,000 miles, so-so condition, $12,000 was high bid didn't meet reserve.
YB8, very nice condition, $12,000 was high bid didn't meet reserve.

The next four bimotas were from an estate where the owner had passed away. My friend and I happened to run into a person who knew the bikes and the owner. In fact this person (I didn't get his name) was the dealer and had sold all four bikes when new. So these 4 bimotas had been one owner bikes now being sold by his estate at no reserve. The following was painfull for me to watch, if you were hunting bargain bimotas, you should've been here. All four bikes were mint, (price includes the 15% reserve charged by the auction company)
Tesi d1. Sold for $19,800
Super mono sold for $9,600
SB8R sold for $7,200
DB3 mantra sold for $9,600 (the bike had $8k worth of upgrades, big bore kit, according to the dealer.

The motto guzzi magni Australia was immaculate. It sold for $23,200 (including fee).

I left and went over to the mecum auction, the two bimotas there didn't meet reserve.
YB7, high bid was $7,500. Condition was so-so
YB11 (excellent condition) was bid to $10,000.

Three more will be coming across tomorrow and Saturday, I'll let you know how they do.

Jack

Jack the YB8 was clean except for this. Do you know how the swing arm got gouged like that?

Too many bikes
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a perfect imprint from the footpeg hanger plate.....caused by an "off" whereby the footpeg has downed and bent the sideplate into the track of the swingarm......and then evidently replaced......Or could just be a simple case of a snapped chain catching in the gap between footpeg and swngarm....?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike could have fallen off the sidestand but I'm not sure the rearset would have touched the swingarm in that case.

What bolts onto the frame behind the rearset, or can you put them high / low ?
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it again....as I couldnt figure out why the bottom of the peg hanger didnt line up with the chamfer on the frame.....its had an extra plate put onto the front it thats bolted to the original welded on tangs....and the foot plate hanger now bolts onto the new bracket around an inch lower down to give less of a crunched up riding position...hence why there 4 bolts there and not 2......Put back as would have been and the hanger hitting the swingarm is in the same place.....Have seen it on a YB11....where unfortunately I saw it go down on a left hander bend in the rain in Germany....The end of the gear lever snapped off...and the bracket bent back exactly the same stamping the swingarm....managed to unbolt the bracket.....hammer it straight with one rock against another....and we tie wired an allen key to the end of the gear lever so he could ride it back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: