Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB7 restoration de-hibernation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
franky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: SB7 restoration de-hibernation Reply with quote

Well I bought a bimota sb7 and yb8 evo. I only wanted the sb7 but they came as a pair....

So knackered batteries, replaced, only bimota would put a battery where you have to remove the front fairing and steering damper...

Once fitted I tried to start it. It pissed fuel at 3 bar out of a couple of perished hoses.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ARYgxhu4CJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/ARYgxhu4CJE

Second time it did the same.

Third time it started and ran great, however it decided to take a piss all over the floor. Not really impressed, didn't think it was the headgasket, the radiator didn't get very warm so time to strip it down. Lots of old crud came out, system flushed. Thermostat tested, not gravy, it was stuck fast.

Boiled it for 20 mins, banged loads of shit out, repeat, now it works fine. Refit to the bike and put some stuff in as a flush.

Go to start the bike, it wont. Remove old alarm

charge batteries, and it runs a treat. I don't really get the batteries, I put them in as they came out, however its in series so you get 24v, charges at 14.4v. I think they should be parallel so only giving out 12v?

Bike now warms up properly, fan kicks in and it cools down. Happy bunny.

https://youtu.be/b1dZgYPwTGo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b1dZgYPwTGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm going to stick with the fuel injection, it seems to work well on this bike, I think there's a way of splicing an older power commander in to tweak the fueling further.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries are parallel aren't they ?

vort28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 2 different set ups for SB6/7.
2x6v batteries in series or 2x12v in parallel , but as EC says, from your pictures the sb7 is in parallel.

franky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been put in series, should be parallel!

I thought it was wrong but put new ones in as they came out......
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just blown picture up and I was missing the far right connection. Thought the batteries were pushed together but the right hand one is out of position , isn't it ?

So as I see it the connections are thus

Is that correct ????

If so you have the early set up which is 2x6v batteries, so you either need to get 2 new batteries or get negative loop made for the negative.

Later 2x12v is this

Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a picture of my batteries but as you sit on the bike looking at the clocks

Left battery Negative pole = Main earth and short negative cable
Left battery Positive pole = short positive cable

Right battery Negative pole = short negative cable
Right battery Positive pole = Short positive cable Main positive

I've also got other bits attached to the positive

Vort - In the picture, you cant see the negative on the right battery because the fuse box is in the way
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make things 100% clear.

Later parallel twin 12v batteries connections. Connections part hidden by fuse box have 'jump' cables only connected to them and obviously +ve battery jump connections go to +ve on second battery , and -ve to -ve.

Used blue for -ve as black don't show up to well on black dash. Obviously this set up requires 2 short extra 'jump' cables.

I can get a picture of my other SB6 at the weekend that has a single jump cable and 2x6v batteries in series if anyone interested.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SB7 restoration de-hibernation Reply with quote

franky wrote:

My steering damper was on the other side
brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah as said above, check if you've got 6v or 12v batteries, then you'll know if they should be in series or parallel. The damper on my 6 is on the right side too, maybe the 7's were different? 7 dash is different too
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could always put a single Lithium Ion battery in I guess
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
djk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SB7 has the damper on the left side too but cant remember the battery lay out as im not at home at the moment.

Your lucky with the fuel injection as it seems to be a weak point at anything below 6000 revs on mine and I know of another SB7 that was road tested by a member here and he said it was almost unrideable. Of course they did primarily make this bike as a race bike for Supers of the day so riding around in the low rev range wasn't a major concern.

Getting a bike up and running again after a long rest period is always a joy as there is always something else to do.

And be careful with the radiator cap, mine got a little squashed last year and there are no replacements, I had to get a new neck made up as sourcing a cap with the right pressure rating was almost impossible. The one of KTM350SXF was an exact fit but at double the pressure rating it wasn't a good idea to fit.

My bike doesn't have that black steel tubing on top of the exhausts either or the hollow plates on the foot rests, mine are solid. Typical Bimota, same bike but different.
franky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get some cable so I can make link cables that reach, also try and re-route the cables.

The black tube on the exhausts is where the bodywork bolts on. It'd be good if you could put some pics of yours up to help me work out what should be where etc.

I did get lucky with the fueling on this one, pics up amazingly well(as you can see/hear).
djk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops had a blond moment, ive been looking at the bike for two months with just the exhausts showing so I had a look under the seat piece and yup sure enough the black tube was there.

Unfortunately im one of those computer inept people who struggle to get my head around loading photos on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: