Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB8 FRONT disc rotors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxum37

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: DB8 FRONT disc rotors Reply with quote

Hi
Can anyone assist with the type and part number for front disc rotors on the DB8?
I have a least one bent or warped rotor and cannot find anyone who can recommend the correct replacement. I am assuming they are from Brembo but they are not coming up on Brembo parts lists according to people I have contacted
Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks Ainsley
2010 BMW S1000RR
2090 BMW R1200 RT
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000 Senna
2004 Ducati 999R
v-pilot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maxum, Have you tried spraying the buttons with a rust penetrant and spinning them. The ones on my 900ss are so lose they rattle but my aparilias get a build up of brake dust and road grime which prevents them from floating properly and they will pulse. I use a hex driver socket and a battery impact gun
96 Ducati 900 SS/SP
87 moto Guzzi Le Mans IV se (2x)
78 Moto Guzzi V50
68 benelli 250 65 Ducati 250
Maxum37

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-pilot wrote:
Hi Maxum, Have you tried spraying the buttons with a rust penetrant and spinning them. The ones on my 900ss are so lose they rattle but my aparilias get a build up of brake dust and road grime which prevents them from floating properly and they will pulse. I use a hex driver socket and a battery impact gun

Thanks v-pilot.
I have sprayed the buttons with brake cleaner and also made sure the buttons move in and out. I have not tried to spin them, but will give that a try. I have other bikes with the same brake combination - brembo monoblocks and the degree of pulsing I am getting at high speed is very disconcerting. I have a Aprilia RSV4 RF and its braking is very smooth compared to the DB8 which almost wants to pull the left side clip on out of your hand when braking hard, and the shuddering through the bike is pretty bad.

The real frustration is that no one can tell me the part number for the OEM rotors or who they made by. I have sent a note to both Bimota and Bimota Classic spares. The former want the VIN and a picture of disc rotors, while the latter has not responded. I have also contacted the UK Brembo distributor who advises that he doesn't have the DB8 on his parts list !!!! The bike is going to the dealer this weekend to check the runout on the rotors so I will know for sure. The problems remains that I have to find a replacement.
2010 BMW S1000RR
2090 BMW R1200 RT
2004 Ducati 999R
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which disc's does your 8 have gold or black.
Not 100% sure as haven't had time to check spares against my DB7 but I think the disc's are Ducati fitment

Maxum37

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Which disc's does your 8 have gold or black.
Not 100% sure as haven't had time to check spares against my DB7 but I think the disc's are Ducati fitment

Mine has the black carriers not gold. Apart from that difference they appear to be the same.
If I wanted to buy these how would I describe them? Is there a part number?

Many thanks for your help
2010 BMW S1000RR
2090 BMW R1200 RT
2004 Ducati 999R
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you spun the discs around and looked on the edge of the discs? Brembo usually stamp a "min thickness" in mm and usually a part Number also....

Disks are 320mm diameter....same as what Ducati used on the 999 series bikes.....Later Ducatis have 330mm dia as I recall the trade journos moaning that the 1098 troy Bayliss had 330mm dia discs and the Db7/DB8 "only" having 320mm discs....later 1199 Panigales etc are also the larger 330mm discs

Only other thing to check is if you have a stuck piston in the caliper...or wether the bearings in the front wheel have gone.....I did hear of some early bikes having early fails on wheel bearings.....Either way the front end needs lifting off the ground and wheel turning to check disc run out, bearings, sticky pistons...all easily done by hand

I see that you have a Ducati 999R...discs should be the same...even if the carrier is a different colour....
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxum37 wrote:

Mine has the black carriers not gold. Apart from that difference they appear to be the same.
If I wanted to buy these how would I describe them? Is there a part number?

Many thanks for your help

Bit more like this then , although these are vdue specific ones as have 1 more bobbin for the speedo .
But any 916-999 series disc's will fit , probably.

2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd concur.....916/996/998/999....except the specials like 916SPS as they had cast iron full floater brembos that are 5.5-6mm and not 4.5-5mm....as they may not fit in the brembo monobloc calipers.....
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the "bimota" rear packing stand with the bike this can also be used on the front wheel to lift the bike in the air if you dont have a front stand....
mb_pfalz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

did you visit the bimota.it website ?
on the frontpage, some ot the last listings are Download files with some tech specs for different types, maybe there is a little bit of info

and i saw some pics of Brembo Brake Discs (with centrally black color) with the info that they were used on Ducati Monster
Maxum37

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Have you spun the discs around and looked on the edge of the discs? Brembo usually stamp a "min thickness" in mm and usually a part Number also....

Disks are 320mm diameter....same as what Ducati used on the 999 series bikes.....Later Ducatis have 330mm dia as I recall the trade journos moaning that the 1098 troy Bayliss had 330mm dia discs and the Db7/DB8 "only" having 320mm discs....later 1199 Panigales etc are also the larger 330mm discs

Only other thing to check is if you have a stuck piston in the caliper...or wether the bearings in the front wheel have gone.....I did hear of some early bikes having early fails on wheel bearings.....Either way the front end needs lifting off the ground and wheel turning to check disc run out, bearings, sticky pistons...all easily done by hand

I see that you have a Ducati 999R...discs should be the same...even if the carrier is a different colour....

First, thanks for the assistance from everyone.
The good news is that the problem is not with disc, but with caliper pistons. Two were seized. I managed free them and no more shudder. Brakes are now bedding and working well.
2010 BMW S1000RR
2090 BMW R1200 RT
2004 Ducati 999R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: