Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Importing a bike into the UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Importing a bike into the UK Reply with quote

Hello".....a general question regarding importation.
I may have sourced a machine and I will appoint a recognised freightforwarder to handle the T2 forms etc but my question relates to the UK registration
Do you have to register it immediately
Can you you just get away with a NOVA declaration
Has it got to go through a SVA...it has a COC and is less than 10 years old
My ideal scenario would be....bring it in, inform the DVLA .....register it in a year or so after I have finalised some of the work I want to do to it....may be longer...depends on work commitments.
I realise that I will pay VAT on the import price and shipping costs...or not..if it registered in the company name and not mine.

Any advise is helpful

Regards

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a bike into the UK Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:
Hello".....a general question regarding importation.
I may have sourced a machine and I will appoint a recognised freightforwarder to handle the T2 forms etc but my question relates to the UK registration
Do you have to register it immediately
Can you you just get away with a NOVA declaration
Has it got to go through a SVA...it has a COC and is less than 10 years old
My ideal scenario would be....bring it in, inform the DVLA .....register it in a year or so after I have finalised some of the work I want to do to it....may be longer...depends on work commitments.
I realise that I will pay VAT on the import price and shipping costs...or not..if it registered in the company name and not mine.

Any advise is helpful

Regards

A lot depends on where the vehicle is coming from......if vehicle less than ten years of age and you have a euroCoC...then No SVA test should be needed....Nova is supposed to be done within 2 weeks of arrival...or else a 8squid per day charge for late notification....If vehicle coming from Europe...and if it has been previously registered there...then there should be no VAT or import duty to pay...as it has been paid once within the EU.....If from outside of EU then yeh....VAT and Import duty likely to fall onto it...If you have the EuroCoC...then its simply a matter of doing the Nova, then sending off a valid MOT, insurance cover note, EuroCoc and the DVLA forms.....and once V5 received simply cancel the road tax and let the insurance cover note lapse...at least then its registered....takes about a week currently.....Probs easier to talk on the phone if you wish...pm sent
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Importing ....more of an update Reply with quote

OK......it is less than 10 years old...but at this rate who can predict its age when all this registration process is finalised!

It is from an non EU country in Europe!

There Is no COC needed where it came from....but is required where it is going!

Be very aware when you buy something from a Principallity like Lux.....Monaco....Lichtenstein. Or in my case San Marino!

As it seems the beaurocratics are out to get you.

Thankfully I have access to this forum and the man called 2bims.

His help and assistance has been invaluable and soon the final paperwork needed to get the UK registration will be complete.

The VAT has been paid...the NOVA has been activated....all within the allotted timeframe of 14 days from arrival......all that is needed is re commissioning, fitting of indicators, tail lights and number plate assembly to hold the £199 registration number I bought for the bike

Can you register it without an MOT.....or has the MOT got to be in place before the UK registration documents are issued?

I believe that it is MOT first then register but with everything that has happened...I thought I would ask

I can now see why I was offered such an attractive price for it from a dealer (I beat him to the purchase) but only after it had the UK paperwork!

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOT always first thing, especially as it will be a "new" registration for the UK...and that the vehicle is over 3 years old....Ticks a box on the DVLA's check list...along with NOVA completion...MOT can be done with or without NOVA in place....just be sure to have the Frame and engine number available for the tester to enter onto his system and choose a colour for him to register also.....Can be ridden to a pre-arranged appointment if you have a 30 day insurance cover note that is given on the chassis number by the insurance company......but then they would need it to be later registered within that 30 day cover period to issue a proper Insurance certificate with the allocated number plate......seeing as you have bought one already (presumably one that is an older prefix than the year of manufacture/first put into service)...as long as its older than the bike DVLA would use that plate.....they wont allow a vehicle to be regd with a plate that is "newer" than the bike...but Older is fine..........MOT can be done without lights/indicators in place....only if fitted do they have to be working....speedo not necessary....evidently if you van the bike down no need for insurance...but it is often "fun" to ride an unplated bike around for its MOT...gives you first chance to ride legally on the road and with no number plate its still legal to run to and from MOT station
highlander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking to import ... from Italy. The dealer there tells me they need to de-register with Italian govt, so that begs the question what documentation should I need to make sure they provide with the bike? Just a photocopy of the registration documents & invoice?

Where do I get the CoC from - a UK Bimota delaer, the factory? Google not quite doing it for me there.

Cheers, G
highlander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone experience or stories of using this website for CoC?

http://www.dvlaadvice.co.uk/buy_a_service.htm#Service_3[/url]
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi G....and welcome to the Forum.........All depends how old the vehicle is...less than or over 10 years old from when it was first registered......

The dealer should provide a transfer document original...that deregisters the bike from the member EU state...obtained by them from their version of the DVLA in Italy.....this will have the previous regn details of the bike...type, colour...and name address and date of birth of the previous owner....this will dictate how old the bike is and show it was previously regd in a member Eu state so that no new duty will be due under the NOVA system in the UK...Notification of vehicle arrival....has to be done within 2 weeks of vehicle entering UK......If Over 10 years old then no Euro Coc is required...simply a cover note for insurance on the frame number and a valid UK Mot certificate to be issued....then you can apply for a V5 with these docs....pay the road tax and first registration fee.....then receive a V5 and age related plate and then change the insurance over with the new details.....

If under 10 years old then a Euro Coc will be required or you would have to pay 85gbp and book it and take it to a dept of transport depot for a MSVA...a more stringent MOT where noise levels, and emissions are checked....so bike would have to have stock exhausts and end cans to pass this...and valid lights for UK roads, horn, indicators, mirrors etc.....

What bike is it? you can pm me the details if you like...some Bimotas are set up with flat beam euro headlights that will pass as they dont kick up left or right...some dont though....and if they have electronic clocks they have to read in mph to pass...and you have to know how to change the clocks to read in mph....again easy if you know how....and varies from bike to bike.....Done a few meself from italy...not such a complicated process.....The EuroCoC usually "dissappears" when the vehicle is first regd in whatever country...staying with the DVLA type office......if you had one then no MSVA would be required....just an MOT...old reg papers and insurance certificate
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlander wrote:

Not seen that one before...or used one like it....I would seriously doubt that they would have "bimota" in their stable of euro Cocs....so I would always phone them first to check...it looks very DVLA official....but it isnt...seems to be a separate entity from them...they are brokers and not the DVLA itself

The V55 forms you can get for free from dvla website....tick boxes and it gets sent out to you...Nova has to be enrolled in Govt gateway for Tax...same as VAT...and is filled out on-line.......
highlander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlander wrote:

Upon further investigation/examination these guys came back and said no, they would not take on a Bimota. So it's MSVA or bust
vort28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, generally only route with a Bimota is an MSVA. Problem is not everything on a Bimota is strictly legal.Had lots of fun trying to get my SB8K Santamonica through an MSVA, and the only reason I eventually did is the VOSA station was closing down ab they felt sorry for me on the 3rd attempt. My DB7 was something like 103db with the standard pipe, 97db was the limit I think. Again VOSA man said Italians seem to have different set of rules !!!! I think it took 4 attempts to get that through !!!!! All part of the bonding process. Very Happy
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Importing a bike Reply with quote

If it's over 10 years old and coming from the US, is it just NOVA, Mot and Insurance?
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally yes....with the exception that the USA s not in the EU....thus import Tax and VAT will also be due on the purchase price.....and that price has to also include shipping costs and insurance...as they form part of the purchase price....normally these extra costs and shipping mean that bikes from USA to UK arent worth bothering with
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Importing a bike Reply with quote

Thanks 2 Bims - you're right that George's share does rather put the dampeners on it a bit!
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Importing a bike Reply with quote

Thanks 2 Bims - you're right that George's share does rather put the dampeners on it a bit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: