Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Going to buy a YB8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
V10LEE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Going to buy a YB8 Reply with quote

Im going to buy a YB8, but I have two to choose from. One is a 1991 and the other is a 1992. The 92 bike if fuel injection and the 91 has carbs. Which one is more reliable? Fuel injection? Both bikes have low mileage and are in top condition. Thank you ..
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ridden a YB8 but have ridden a yb9 injection . Confused
I would go for the carbs, have you ever ridden a early injection bike ???? They are not great.
V10LEE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Never ridden a YB8 but have ridden a yb9 injection . Confused
I would go for the carbs, have you ever ridden a early injection bike ???? They are not great.

Hi Vort thank's. I also own a 91 Ducati 851 Superbike. It's FI and runs great. Never had any issues.

It's the YB8 Furano I am looking at.
Too many bikes
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world, I've had 851/888 and ridden RC45's etc , all early injection bikes and they were OK'ish, but not great and carb bikes at the time were definitely better.

The YB9 injection I rode was from the UK Bimota dealer at the time and he told me it had the latest inj map to smooth it out. Shocked It was ok on full throttle but coming off throttle and then back on, corner entry to mid corner acceleration it was VERY rough, sort of reminded me of the GPZ750 Turbo I had , you had to brake early and drive into the corner to avoid the poor on/off throttle response/lag.

I would suggest you ride before you make your mind up.
bimotabob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YB9SRI has completely different injection to the Furano or Tuatara.
I can't comment of the TDD type but the Furano uses P7 the same as 851 and early 888 ducati, its a real good system. My bike runs real nice and gives 5.5L/100km on a highway. Got a mate to have a go for comparison as he owned a FZR1000 with the same engine and he said my injected bike went a lot better. incidentally its got higher gearing to pull than a standard FZR1000.
The injection on the Furano is a race system, its basic but allows for whatever tuning you want to do. The standard fuel map is good as weber marelli worked direct with them at a factory level so it should be sorted. People dissed them because they know nothing about injection or how to set it up. Its not like the 2-stroke Bimota attempt. In all fairness the FZR1000 carbs are not very good for performance, they wear out quick too. My injection system is all still going after 25 years and i'm guessing the lower spec carb models be looking at their second rebuild.
sb8rs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the YB4IE, YB6 Tuatara and YB8 Furano all used the same injection system.
It was cutting edge at the time and it worked well.
The later TDD system (SB7 and YB9sri) can be made to work with perseverance.
The Magnet Marelli system on the SB8 's, in my opinoin; needs the help of a power commander.
bimotabob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know the SB8 had a magnetti marelli EFI system, i thought after the Yamaha's they went TDD - what model is it do you know?

Incidentally i have been informed you can run a MV Agusta power commander on the MM P7 Yamaha fuel injection to make adjustments which could benefit people.

I found these pictures below from Japan, I didnt know TDD made fuel injection for the Furano's, wonder how many had this or perhaps it was done aftermarket for people wanting to swap. looking at the bracket and smaller box id guess Bimota released these during final production. The guy was swapping to haltech EFI by the looks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: