Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Starting problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bannrikae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BOFFER

Just pulled the sump plug and guess what I found

Looks like they had been replaced before as they are allen head screws, should they be this short? I wonder what other damage has been done, they look like they have rattled around for a bit.
Maybe thay have sheared and left half of the thread behind?
No matter, I don't think I will reuse them Shocked

BG

Last edited by bannrikae on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats torn it Shocked .

Sprag cover only held on with 4 bolts , so at least you found them all Laughing

They are the standard fixings!!! I know , not the best in 1.2mm plate , but Bimota knew best.
At least you know now, so could be alot worse.Weather down your part of the country will be pants this w/e so gives you something to do.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you are...just a simple drop the oil and you found your problem....were they all stuck to the magnet? Or ran out with the oil?....
bannrikae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all stuck to the magnet and as you say, with the weather as it is this weekend I,ve now got something to do Very Happy
Matty82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, lucky they fell out an the boys knew it before even the tools were out, good work. An you're hunch bannrikae was right.

Should I/any others check these out of precaution? I've got mine on the bench as the new battery keeps coming back nearly dead acording to the charger, yet she charges on the bike well
JRH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same with mine, but 2 were still in and loose. The threads will still be in the holes. De grease with chemical cleaner and fit new ones with good quality thread lock .
gufi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: starter free wheel Reply with quote

the old parts are with M4 thread this parts are not durable. The new parts are with M5 and work OK. It is a (smal) problem to change the M4 to M5 because the part is hardend. So the option is to erode the M5.
For the free wheel is also a better option available (same as KTM use). The Bimota parte is the same as the Aprilia Mille and BMW. Here the ring spring is not durable and brake often.
If you are working on the starter parts keep your attantion also to the kick idle gear. The first parts have a problem with hardning and a different number of teeth as the last edition.

The bike was in the first step not for e-starter so the compl. starter is not best edition. Best you start the bike first running on the day by startermaschine.

BR
Guido
bannrikae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the culprit,

As JRH said, the rest of the screws were still in the holes and loose as no threadlock had been used.

Guido, I will look into getting the threads spark erroded out to 5mm but i'm not sure anyone does this anywhere near me.
Are you saying that the Aprilia Mille clutch freewheel bearing is a better replacement?

BG

Last edited by bannrikae on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
gufi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.reknight.co.uk
you have to look for a toolmaker because they use the equipment. They have to work with hardend material.
If you dont find I can make it for ~150,00€
We test the freewheels and find out that the KTM is best one. The part is a japanese production part. I can sell for 112,00€

BR Guido
bannrikae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Thanks Guido
Do you know which model KTM has the same freewheel?

BG
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they might have been rattling around in there for a while , hopefully no other damage though.

Matty82 wrote:

Should I/any others check these out of precaution? I've got mine on the bench as the new battery keeps coming back nearly dead acording to the charger, yet she charges on the bike well

Oh YES, they are always coming out, bit of a crap design. Usually give plenty of warning though . Usually when they coming loose , sounds like a flat battery as they jam against the starter ring.
Matty82

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers vort

BG could I borrow you're clutch tool to gain access an check my bolts?

How's your bike looking now
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not just the clutch tool you'd need...but the special 2-prong drive socket to release the clutch basket....and if the bolts have worked loose it usually tears the sprag clutch bearing plate...so you'd need one of those also....Or just change the oil every 500 miles and keep an eye open for bolts stuck to the sump plug magnet........
bannrikae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matty

I haven't got a clutch tool I used an impact driver, This removed the nut holding the clutch with no problem. The two pronged drive socket is another problem, I found the correct sized socket, used on ford transits I beleive, but this was unfortunatly too shallow and would not go over the nut.
In the end I removed that nut using a hammer and punch, again without much problem.
I tried to order the two pronged tool from Piero but he has none.

Vort,
Yes, they have certainly rattled around a bit but there is no other damage that I can see, fortunatly, the screws seem to be made from cheese Smile
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bannrikae wrote:

I haven't got a clutch tool I used an impact driver, This removed the nut holding the clutch with no problem. The two pronged drive socket is another problem, I found the correct sized socket, used on ford transits I beleive, but this was unfortunatly too shallow and would not go over the nut.
In the end I removed that nut using a hammer and punch, again without much problem.

You were lucky with the clutch tool and the baskets nut. Mine had lots of thread lock on them and even with tools took a 3ft bar and a blow torch to get them loose. But then some things vary a lot from one engine to the next and my bike is a later one , so maybe the threadlock increased over time.
Good to hear you got it sorted and nothing else damaged. Hopefully this has not taken the shine of the vdue, nothing worse than getting a new toy home and finding it broken Sad

It is all worth it though , they have the most smiles per mile of all my bikes. Plus in the down time you can read up on them because even filling one up becomes a 20 minute pit stop answering all the questions. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: