Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Zero mileage SB7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kumaressan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Zero mileage SB7 Reply with quote

Hi,
I am Kumar from India. I am new here. I love Bimota and wanting to own one since young and my favourite is the SB7. I have never rode one but always wanted to.

Last week, I came to know that an SB7 is lying around someones workshop collecting dust. So I decided to visit this shop and it turns out that this place used to be an importer of Bimota here!

The SB7 I came to see was practically untouched with zero mileage! The late 90's recession and the high price of Bimota casted the bike away from buyers. They even had a Mantra there collecting dust.

Back to the SB7. So it has zero mileage and was dusty. The owner have taken out the fairing and given it a polish with clear coat. The headlamp had fogged. The switch and light markings are still fresh and did not fade. The clutch cables had too much slack on it. It was a quick meeting so I did not have a chance to thoroughly examine the rest of the bike.

It would be great if you guys can let me know what to look for so that I can make a check list when I visit the next time. Since the bike did not run at all, do I need to service the Paioli forks and the Ohlins shocks? How about the fuel and air hoses? The wheel bearings, brake pads and tires? I think I need to change the tires. Do I need to rebuild the engine with fresh gaskets?

Your information and help will be much appreciated. The shop is asking for 12K EURO's and I think it's a little too much. What do you guys think?

Thank you guys.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Smile

The SB7 is a nice bike, especially with zero miles on it. So ... what colours is it painted ???
The big question I suppose is do you want to ride it or have it as an exhibit ??? I suspect its to ride, so your going to need to recommission it and that's going to be quite a bit of work.
New batteries
New tyres
New brake hoses, clean and red grease the callipers.
Remove and clean (ultrasonic) the injectors, renew the fuel hoses, check the pump.
Regrease the headrace, swingarm and wheel bearings.
Rebuild the forks and shock.

The clutch - because it's been standing the clutch plates have been half in and half out of oil, it might be better to renew the fibre plates, but to do it means dropping the engine.
kumaressan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Evilchicken,

Thank you for your reply. Well, I am definitely going to ride it.

Will take note of your advise and ideas. I think the biggest headache will be the clutch plates and forks. I read somewhere that the fork is unique where the sliders are made a composite of aluminium and carbon. Hopefully can find a suspension technician here that can service that.
kumaressan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh forgot....it is the original Red, Purple and White

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Welcome Smile

The SB7 is a nice bike, especially with zero miles on it. So ... what colours is it painted ???
The big question I suppose is do you want to ride it or have it as an exhibit ??? I suspect its to ride, so your going to need to recommission it and that's going to be quite a bit of work.
New batteries
New tyres
New brake hoses, clean and red grease the callipers.
Remove and clean (ultrasonic) the injectors, renew the fuel hoses, check the pump.
Regrease the headrace, swingarm and wheel bearings.
Rebuild the forks and shock.

The clutch - because it's been standing the clutch plates have been half in and half out of oil, it might be better to renew the fibre plates, but to do it means dropping the engine.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumaressan wrote:
Hi Evilchicken,

Thank you for your reply. Well, I am definitely going to ride it.

Will take note of your advise and ideas. I think the biggest headache will be the clutch plates and forks. I read somewhere that the fork is unique where the sliders are made a composite of aluminium and carbon. Hopefully can find a suspension technician here that can service that.

Yes - but that's just the lower fork leg the internals are fairly standard cartridge forks. There's a thread in the SB section about them and the tool to service them (don't panic). There's also a thread about adapting ZX9R fork tops to give rebound adjustment
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kumaressan and welcome to the forum.

As EC says, basically every moving cycle part will need checking/ greasing or replacing.
Most/all rubber parts will need replacing.
Electrics checking/connections cleaned etc.

A bike sat for 20yrs even from new is not going to be in good mechanical condition and I would expect it to have quite a few teething problems once running.
I bought a YB11 that had been sat for 10yrs, had been recommissioned by another but took me about a year to sort out fuel issue's , overheating problems and find dodgy wiring connections.

Keep us informed and pictures are always appreciated.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head the forks use 46mm Yamaha WR450 seals ...
kumaressan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys
Bimsb6

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Off the top of my head the forks use 46mm Yamaha WR450 seals ...

Or cr125 i believe zx9 and a whole load of other bikes .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: