Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R first ride issues - speedo and hot start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spongebob

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: SB6R first ride issues - speedo and hot start Reply with quote

Gave my new to me SB6R a first decent ride yesterday and encountered the following issues. Anyone else seen these and what's the recommendations:

Speedo - Has an MPH speedo but road speed and recorded speed do not match. Speedo massively under reading but looks like distance recorded (km) on trip counter could be about right. Km/h markings on the speedo are so tiny that through a visor a road speeds they are impossible to read so no idea if it is just mph scale on speedo is plain wrong!

Hot starting (or not) - Rode from H Cafe, near Oxford to Henley. Heavy traffic particularly around Henley. Parked up by river for swift ice cream leaving bike standing for about 20 minutes. On return motor cranked and refused to fire. Continued cranking got it to catch but run very rough and refuse to rev. Eventually cleared, ran perfectly all the way home including through monumental thunderstorm.

Is this just fuel evaporated from float bowls and lines due to heat as it was rather warm yesterday and the bike was running about 110 degrees in the heavy traffic?

Any advice appreciated.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SB6 so mechanical speedo. I know the 6R clocks can be troublesome and they get replaced, usually by Koso units the modern Bimota's use them.

I haven't had hot starting issues but it does sound like fuel evaporation. If I run out of fuel it takes a while to start it again because the fuel tap is a diaphragm type with no prime position. The 6R fuel pump can be troublesome. You can go to a gravity feed which may help.

As far as cooling goes the radiator fan can be uprated with a Muzzy aluminium part from the USA (the SB6 has the single GSXR 1100 fan) . It has a bigger area than the original and isn't melted by the exhaust. You can fit it by taking the fan mounting off the rad without dropping the coolant. Check it doesn't touch the downpipes by pushing the blades in
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

Hi SpongeBob, good choice of Bimota. However, the clocks need to go in the bin, as Chuckie says. Very pleased with my Kosos. The other thing that needs to go in the bin is the vacuum fuel pump in the air box - the bike works fine on gravity feed. The fuel pump tends to give too much fuel, particularly when going slowly. So your slow run probably caused the plugs to foul.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

By the way, your 6r's rad should have twin fans, unlike the 6.
stox

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SB6R Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
Hi SpongeBob, good choice of Bimota. However, the clocks need to go in the bin, as Chuckie says. Very pleased with my Kosos. The other thing that needs to go in the bin is the vacuum fuel pump in the air box - the bike works fine on gravity feed. The fuel pump tends to give too much fuel, particularly when going slowly. So your slow run probably caused the plugs to foul.

What model Koso clocks do i need (i have the same issue)? Any guides for fitting?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heeeeeres Jonny !!!
He'll take good care of you Cool
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: SB6R clocks Reply with quote

Stop it Chuckie, you're making me blush!

I've used the RX2+, on which you can switch between backlights - you could hold a disco in your cockpit - showing my age there - you could hold a rave in your cockpit! Have a look on the Digital Speedos website - the RX1n or RX2n would probably also do it. The RX2+ also has a programmable odometer, which means you don't lose the mileage done on your old clocks. The speedo sensor works off magnetic bolts in the bobbins on your front disc, which you have to order separately, if you're not going to drill the existing bolts and stick the small magnets in that come with the clocks. You can work off one magnet/magnetic bolt, but it's probably better to have at least 2. If you use more than one, they need to be evenly spaced, which means different numbers depending on whether you've got 10 or 12 bobbins. I have plumbed their 22mm water temp sensor adaptor (available separately) in to the bottom hose run on the left side of the bike. You can't use the fuel gauge on the clocks, because we only have an on/off sensor in the tank. So you need to rig up an led light next to the clocks to give you a low-fuel warning. Happy to despatch wiring instructions to anybody who'd like them - pm me an e-mail address.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See - told you he'd know

Now tell us more about the flatslides Cool
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: SB6R Reply with quote

Well, the first dyno run was not definitive, as it was too rich on the mains and too lean on the mixture screws and electrical interference prevented any more than a 3/4 throttle run. Nevertheless, it looks promising, as they say.

The fly in the ointment is that the dyno shredded the generator coupler and I've got one or two other projects on at the moment which militate against replacing the coupler any time soon. This is unfortunate, as I've got another dyno run booked for 4th June, to hopefully see what the old girl can do. However, I think I can limp down to the dyno with a relay of batteries and that way I can take my time with the coupler and look at the valve clearances and anything else that needs doing while I've got the motor dropped.

But what you really want to know Chuckie, you naughty boy, is, is it a beast?.........................

Oh yes Twisted Evil
stox

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon then, post up the dyno graphs.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: